Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Is it worth the time for MiniDV quality?

I am new on this forum and does not know that much about camcorders. but is Mini Dv quality worth the time. Because Mini Dv transfers to the computer in real time. I am looking to buy a camcorder and i want quality but i want fast transfers. I was looking at HDD camcorders but i heard MiniDV quality is better. But is the quality of a Mini Dv video versus HDD noticeable? Please answer because i don't want to spend More time on Mini DV because it has a slight difference in quality.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it worth the time for MiniDV quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it worth the time for MiniDV quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's the rush?

In reply to: Is it worth the time for MiniDV quality?

Perhaps you can do other things while it transfers? or... maybe if you don't have the patience... If you think waiting for that transfer takes time, wait until you start rendering some heavy duty special effects...

Collapse -
I don't know whats the rush...

In reply to: What's the rush?

i guess i could do something when the video transfers. I am not in a rush or something but i just wanna know if the difference from MiniDV quality and HDD quality is very noticeable because i don't want to wait 2 times longer if the difference in quality is barely noticeable.

Collapse -
Could be...

In reply to: I don't know whats the rush...

It depends who you ask. Videophiles might see a bigger difference than would a first-time buyer. Both provide good quality video with miniDV having the edge when it comes to the editing stage. For simple transfers to DVD, both usually turn out to be roughly the same when you play them back on a TV screen. It's your choice. As boya said, you don't have to sit and wait. However, I'd rather not spend my whole day transferring tapes to the computer. If you go on a long trip and come back with 10 tapes, that's a full day of just transferring.

Collapse -
So far...

If I look at "edges" I see the usual compression artifacts. But I'm sure that some won't mind these.

Collapse -
"Barely noticable" is different

from "i want quality but i want fast transfers".

Just because you want the transfers fast up front does not mean the whole process is fast...

Copy the video from the HDD camcorder to you computer. Edit. Finish project. Done. Erase Camcorder HDD. Delete copied fies from computer HDD. You for got a step... that is, after you originally copied the 20-60 gig or more files from the camcorder to the computer, you VERY first stepis to make another copy of those files incase the computer hard drive crashes or you want to go back to them in a year or more. All that time you *thought* you saved because the original copy time was fast, you just used making data DVDs.

With miniDV tape, not only do you get best quality to begin with, but the tape is the archive - there is no extra step to copy them again.

So... pick where you want to wait. And when you skip a step and the original video is not available, but you REALLY want it, well, I guess that's just a bummer. But you got to save time!

Collapse -
Simply copying and pasting is pretty darn easy...

In reply to: "Barely noticable" is different

When you copy the video to two (or more) hard drives, that seems to me like it's pretty simple. Two (or three) hard drives WILL NOT fail at the same time (if at all.) Plus, this also saves the time if you do go back and want a tape from archive, you have to re-import the entire tape, using another hour of time whereas it takes 5 seconds to find your other saved copy on the hard drive.

Copy from camcorder to primary hard drive. Copy that file to the other hard drive. There you are: two copies.

The DVDs are the other possibility. They're good to have for those "whenever you want to watch" moments.

Collapse -
Hard Drive Cameras need coversion to edit, forget DVD

In reply to: Simply copying and pasting is pretty darn easy...

At this time miniDV is your best bet.
When ingesting into your computer you use scene split. you walk away for an hour and you have your scenes for editing.
ACHVD cameras require a conversion in most APPS and if you film for a long period without stopping the camera starts another file so you end up with several file for an hour if you placed it on a tripod and just let it run.
MiniDV is still the way to go for now.
HDV is very inexpensive if you buy a used HV20 Canon or and HDR-HC1 Sony.
If you edit get Cineform as a editing tool and HDV edits like DV but with fantastic quality.
I am a pure HD editor with two workstations; one avid media composer and the other Adobe Production suite (Need After Effects)
I do have cheap Hard Drive HD cameras in my travel bag and attach them to rails on sportfishing Boats for wide shots. the wear fast due to the salt and water but they do the trick.
I still use HD Tape for my real work but am waiting for the cards for flash to have more capacity. \when you are big game fishing you do not have time to change cards while it is easy to have another HD tape Camera rolling and never miss a jump or a big moment

Camcorderinfo.com for consumers is the best site for camera information

Collapse -
Random question

is there any way to use headphones on a camcorder with no headphone jack?

Collapse -
for monitoring what you are recording?

In reply to: Random question

No that I am aware of...

Collapse -
Come to think of it...

In reply to: for monitoring what you are recording?

If you use the camcorder's AV-out... and use the AV cable with the red/white audio RCA jacks (not yellow - that is video), you may be able to... you will need 2 RCA female to 1/8" or 1/4" stereo female adapter depending on what sized jack your headphones need.

Collapse -
O really?

In reply to: Come to think of it...

I was searching around for something like that. I was trying to google it but i don't know the right words. Can you please give me a link to the thing you are talking about?

Collapse -
can't spend too much time on this...

In reply to: O really?

http://shop1.frys.com/product/598042?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
plus
http://shop1.frys.com/product/598042?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The AV cable audio RCA males plug into the female of the first link, the 1/4" male plugs into one side of the second link - that leaves a 1/4" female for a 1/4" male headphone jack...

or
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-1-4--F--RCA-M--Dual-Y-Cable-100302331-i1166829.gc
and if your headphones use 1/8", then add
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-1-4--M--3-5mm-F--Stereo-Adapter-330865-i1166769.gc

This can get heavy and you don't want to put much stress opn the part that plugs into the camcorder...

My camcorders have a headphone jack (if they did not, I would not have bought them), so I don't need to worry about this, but I can check tonight to see if it works (if I have the right cables and adapters). I regularly use the video out to a 8.5" LCD panel when I am recording in case someone wants to see what I see.
Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: can't spend too much time on this...

Thanks for taking time on my request.

Collapse -
So... this is what I used:

In reply to: Thanks

Camcorder: Sony HDR-HC1
AV cable connected to analog AV-out
On the red audio out (RCA male), I connected an RCA female to 1/4" male mono adapter
On the 1/4" male mono adapter, I connected a 1/4" female to 1/4" female adapter
On the 1/4" female adapter, I plugged in my 1/4" stereo headphone jack (Audio Technica)

The good news: When in Record/video capture mode, I can hear what is coming in the mics.

The not so good news: I could vary the audio level only when I dropped into manual audio mode. If your camcorder does not have manual audio control, then you cannot vary the audio level. This is most obviously monitoring what is going into the camcorder - and that makes sense because that is what I use the "video monitor" capability for with the yellow (analog/composite) video connector.

Collapse -
O

In reply to: So... this is what I used:

So If i do use all the adapters and what not then i could get the audio but i can't vary the loudness of the sound?

Collapse -
ok then thats confusing..

In reply to: O

I will consider it but first of all I want to know. Is there a camcorder out there that has a headphone jack? That is about $500 or less. If there isn't then Is there a $500 or less camcorder with an manual audio control? If there is none then I Guess i will have to go with the whole adapter stuff...

Collapse -
The same suspects - least expensive with

In reply to: ok then thats confusing..

a mic-in jack only - no manual audio control: Canon ZR800, ZR900, ZR930.

a mic-in jack only with manual audio control: Canon HV20, HV30, Sony HDR-HC7, HDR-HC9.

Collapse -
(NT) Correct.

In reply to: O

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Correct.

I'll look these up and see which one is the best for me.

Collapse -
MiniDV Quality vs Convenience

...but is Mini Dv quality worth the time?

Yes for me...but for you? MiniDV gives you the option of High Definition which for me is definitely worth it. DVD quality can not come close to matching the HD on my MiniDV tapes. The only way to answer the question for you is try different cameras.

If you pair MiniDV with a high definition camcorder the quality is MUCH better when you have a good source of light. As natural light levels drop (like indoor) then you need a bigger lens to get enough light for a broadcast quality image.

I recently took my standard definition 3ccd camera on vacation and left my larger HD camera at home. The difference in video is definitely noticeable! In general the more you are willing to spend AND lug around...the better the image you will get.

The only way to know what is sufficient for you is to try various cameras. Try a professional videographer store to see the upper end if you are interested in better image quality than the consumer models offer.

The nice thing about tapes is you can keep the original uncompressed video. Uncompressed Digital video takes a LOT of hard drive space!

Jim H

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.