Question

Is it worth it to upgrade a MacBook Pro mid 2009

Mar 16, 2020 3:56PM PDT

Hi guys, I just got into my possession a MacBook Pro mid 2009 13 inch core 2 duo processor. The battery only lasts for about an hour and it has 4 gigs of RAM and 250GB of a very slow hard drive. I was thinking of spending the close to $150-$200 to upgrade to SSD, get 8 gigs of new RAM, and a new battery. I currently don't have a laptop now and don't want to spend a lot of money. Do you think it would be worth it? Would it last for a couple more years?

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Is it worth it to upgrade a MacBook Pro mid 2009
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is it worth it to upgrade a MacBook Pro mid 2009
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Last?
Mar 16, 2020 5:21PM PDT

That's a roll of the dice. But I do know folk that do this and carry on.
Try just the SSD and new battery first. You may be surprised.

- Collapse -
Upgrades
Mar 16, 2020 5:55PM PDT

I have just finished upgrading one of these and a slightly newer one.
The 2009 had 8Gb, 500GB SSD and a new battery. OWC, Crucial and Amazon, that order. $138.86 + a little tax. No shipping charge
Used the available High Sierra patcher, Google it, to install High Sierra on a non-supported machine.

P
Customers first response at the boot speed was WOW!

- Collapse -
There was another comment my clients often make.
Mar 16, 2020 6:33PM PDT

"Why didn't I do this sooner?" In regards to the SSD.

- Collapse -
I absolutely agree....
Mar 17, 2020 2:28PM PDT

My newest desktop computer has a 256 GB SSD along with an additional 1 TB HDD and I am amazed how much faster start time, system updates and application installation times are reduced.

- Collapse -
Answer
advice
Mar 29, 2020 10:41AM PDT

Well, everything is depending on which purpose have you chosen for this laptop. If it's just internet surfing, excel, and some work with the documents, you can just purchase new SSD, change a battery and get an antivirus, you can read about it at macsecurity.net and you'll be fine.
Edited by Mod to remove unrelated link

Post was last edited on March 30, 2020 3:49 PM PDT

CNET Forums

Forum Info