Question

Is it worth it to buy a RoG Strix for 1,175 USD?

It is the model GL503VM-ED218T with Nvidia 1060 (3gb), 8gb Ram, Intel I7-7700HQ, 1TB and no SSD.

I was looking for a gaming pc because the one I have right now is a 2 year old Ultra book with i5 7th Gen, 128 GB SSD and 940 mx, but as it is an ultra book I can't play more than an hour before it gets really hot.

I am not like a "pro" gamer or anything line that, the only titles I play is Gta V, Cities Skylines, Pay Day 2, League of Legends, etc, but also I like using Blendr or SketchUp.

I am just a student, and I am not studying anything about design, in fact, I use a lot of data bases so I work with" large" amounts of data in Excel, STATA, SPSS and Minitab.

I am not from an English speaking country, sorry for my grammar

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Is it worth it to buy a RoG Strix for 1,175 USD?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is it worth it to buy a RoG Strix for 1,175 USD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I own a similar model.

The Acer Predator and it cost just a little more and is very nice. My son has a prior generation ROG with the usual i7, 960m and it's doing quite well.

- Collapse -
Memorial day sale. Enticing isn't it?
- Collapse -
Answer
Plan on upgrading to SSD or find something else

Windows 10 performance is terrible on HDD's, maybe slightly better on a SSHD, but what's the point?
A 1TB SSD is only nearly $80-$200, sold separately.

Gaming on a laptop is nice if you like to move around or like the power saving options and mobility.
Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD's, as of 2019, is where the thunder is at for laptops, in terms of raw data speed.

CNET Forums