TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is it worth it?

by vanteal / August 14, 2007 5:46 AM PDT

I just bought my first 42 inch plasma t.v. (TH-42px75u)..And I was debating on either getting a blue-ray or HD player.. or saving the money and getting a DVD up converter player..HD and Blue-ray players are so expensive and I'd have to start buying the more expensive disk's.. And not to mention that titles are limited right now on both ends..And not every title is on both formats.. With DVD up conversion It's my understanding that I'll get much better picture (up to 1080P) without spending hundreds on a hd/blue-ray player..I've never seen an up converted picture before..So I was wondering in everyone else's opinion is it worth saving the money and just buying a decent up conversion player?.. I've been using my xbox 360 to play dvd's on my new tv thus far and I was impressed right from the get go..However I hear the xbox360 does not convert dvd's and it's apparently unhealthy for the system to play games and movies together..:::shrugs:: that's just what I've heard...

Ok so yea.. Sorry for such a long post on a simple question..Please give me you're best input guys..

Thanks,
Steve,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd wait until Christmas
by kcfvegas / August 14, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it worth it?

I understand the dilemma that you're facing, but I recommend that you do what I'm doing, and that is wait until Christmas. I've read from several sources that there is going to be a price war between HD and Blu-Ray, and that prices are going to drop a lot. I never heard that playing DVDs through your XBOX is bad for it. If it was, they wouldn't have built it to play them. Bottom line, why buy an up converting one now, when in three months you may be able to buy the real thing, that will also up convert your existing DVDs.

Collapse -
Well, an excellent upscaling dvd player already costs
by jostenmeat / August 14, 2007 8:14 AM PDT

hundreds of dollars. Isn't the Oppo 981 the most affordable 1080p upscaling player at $230 before shipping? I imagine by the end of the year, just 70 dollars more might just give you native 1080p @24fps with on-board HD decoders for TrueHD and DTS-HD HR. I do not have fingers crossed for MA. Some of these BD players are said to upscale quite well. I've heard of persons who didn't expect their new BD toy to upscale so well (not the reason they bought it) and since have dumped their old dvd player.

If you do spring for a dvd player, I highly recommend Denon. Their remotes suck however. They go from about $150 to over 1k depending on model.

Collapse -
Maybe try this.
by C_519 / August 14, 2007 8:33 AM PDT

You could get the HD-DVD drive for 179.99 plus 5 free HD movies. You can still play regular DVDs on HD-DVD players and I think BLU-RAY, so you don't have to purchase the more expensive DVDs.

Collapse -
(NT) I meant to say the Xbox 360 HD-DVD
by C_519 / August 14, 2007 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe try this.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?