Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Is it too late for me to make recovery disks?

I recently purchased a new HP laptop running Windows 7. In my haste to get it up and running, I neglected to make recovery disks. Is it too late for me to do this after I have installed programs?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it too late for me to make recovery disks?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it too late for me to make recovery disks?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It varies...

In reply to: Is it too late for me to make recovery disks?

Most OEM recovery generated discs do a OS type of re-install discs. These won't include any pgms. as such but may include drivers. However, makers can provide the full re-install as day 1 install discs, if you copy the hidden partition that some makers supply. In other words, they all do it slightly different. So, it still makes sense to either use a 3rd party s/w like Norton Ghost or Acronis back-up, etc. to make your discs as another source source of doing this task or make do with the maker's supplied recovery generated discs. It will be prudent regardless to have back-ups of your data and/or pgms. as well if none was provided.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I think it worked!

In reply to: It varies...

I went ahead and made the recovery disks. I didn't receive any messages that it wouldn't work as planned, so I think I was successful. However, I guess I won't really know unless I have to use them.....with luck I won't.

Collapse -
Just an opinion

In reply to: I think it worked!

Now is the time to test the recovery discs.

If they work you've lost very little and you'll only have to add a few things back.

If they don't work you've got a new machine and a warranty.

Call HP support and bend their ear.

Collapse -
You can order them

If you feel uncomfortable with your recovery discs, then order them from HP. For a small cost(cheap, IMHO) you can get the actual discs they supply. Understand, though you may still need the drivers, so visit the support website and get the whole shebang there(drivers) and d/l them and them burn them to disc. You are now covered and are prepared for future use. As i posted before, this done't save data, so a good back-up pgm. will be needed if you deem it necessary and this also covers returning to a working system if bad things happen and you return to where you left off, recovery discs, don't do this.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
That might be a little harder then you think

In reply to: You can order them

Seems they are in limited supply so order soon.

Also they are device specific so see your PC's/laptop's specification page.

I just found mine today, maybe(?), after months of hoping they'd show up. Frankly those should come in the box with the PC. That they do not is foolish.

Collapse -
Too late

No it is not. But if you are worried go to CNET downloads and download one of the free imaging programs....Macrium Reflect, Paragon Free, Clonzilla or if you have Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, etc and make an image of your hard drive. Next make the bootable CD for you to boot from. You now have two choices of recovery. With Macrium Reflect..it had trouble backing up to multi CD's or should I say recovering from multi CD's so I just used my external hard drive but that was with version XX dated May 2009. In fact it makes sense to configure your PC with everything installed and then create your recovery disks/drive image.

I have test Macrium Reflect and Window 7 back-up and both worked from my external hard drive.

Collapse -
MAKE AN ADDITIONAL COPY IF YOU CAN

In reply to: Is it too late for me to make recovery disks?

Before you made your recovery disks, did you run scans for virus's or malware? If not, then run those scans and then make a second set of recovery disks if you can, and write "virus free" on the label. It would not be good if your first set of recovery disks had a virus or malware on them and you had to use those disks to recover your system.

I have a HP Vista and everything I read about Vista before purchasing it said you were only allowed to make "ONE" set of recovery disks. I got around this simply by making one set in one administrative account and another set in a different administrative account. Apparantly Microsoft wasn't thinking too clearly when they said we could only make one set... duh.

And for the nay sayers... I LOVE MY VISTA! No problems what so ever since my purchase of it in September 2007.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.