Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Is it too humid to take pics in Cancun or PV?

by superkid / January 17, 2006 8:50 AM PST

Hi there
i have sn SD500 and going to mexico in april, and i was wondering if its too humid to take lots of pics.
i dont want my camera t break
should i use a ziplock bag?
if i do, is it completely waterproof? can i go into water with the camera in the bag?
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it too humid to take pics in Cancun or PV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it too humid to take pics in Cancun or PV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That might not be a good idea
by mrobzo / January 17, 2006 8:56 AM PST

You are taking a big risk trusting a plastic bag. I believe that there is an under water housing for that model. That way if it leaks, you will be better protected by the manufactuer.

Collapse -
yea but
by superkid / January 17, 2006 9:25 AM PST

the bag is just so that the moisture doesnt get into the camera
but is it still safe to take pictures in very humid conditions
what precatiions should i take?
thanks

Collapse -
Humidity is the enemy of all
by mrobzo / January 17, 2006 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: yea but

Machinery and electronics. How long you will be staying is a consideration. The thing you want to watch out for the most is rapid or even mild changes in temperture. Indoor air conditioning is enough to cause condensation. It is challenging to make slow moderate changes in temperture. Just like a cold can on a moist day will build considerable amounts of moisture to form. Consider the waterproof casing that they sell for that model. You know, an ounce of prevention.... Put it on before you leave so you don't forget. Enjoy your vacation and good luck!

Collapse -
Just use a bit of common sense.
by hawk318 / January 20, 2006 9:55 PM PST

Cameras now a days are fine under most conditions, just remember a few common tips.
1) Try to keep your camera from going from one extreme to another
* In other words, don't run your AC in the room keeping it 60 degrees, then run out into 100 degree weather... try to stay withing about 20 degrees of the ambient outside temp.

2) Don't get your camera wet! Don't take pics in the rain and get the old clicker wet, and DOH! don't take it INTO the pool Wink

3)Don't leave it in the sun too long as extreme heat can damage most electronics (keep it in the shade and allow air to flow around it (inother words "Don't put it in a camera bag and lay it next to you while you toast in the sun for a few hours....."Both of you will suffer for it Wink

Collapse -
Take the plastic bag. Use it when moving between locations
by Kiddpeat / January 21, 2006 1:06 AM PST

which have significantly different temperature and humidity levels. Give the camera plenty of time to adjust in temperature before you take it out of the bag. That is one thing that Canon recommends. Ditto with lenses and other pieces of equipment.

Don't take anything under water expecting a plastic bag to protect it.

Collapse -
Mind the temps, but don't sweat humidity
by speleofool / January 25, 2006 1:34 AM PST

Hi, there!

I have a Canon A310 (2-megapixel digital elph model) that I have used for both scuba diving (with Canon's underwater housing) and caving (no housing). Caves with any amount of water can easily reach 100% humidity, and are also notoriously dusty. I'd never take a digital SLR underground, but my little point-n-shoot has served me faithfully for years.

As far as conditions on the water, I'd highly recommend an underwater housing as opposed to a plastic bag. Yes, the housings are a LOT more expensive, but they're also designed to be totally water-proof and have clear optics where your lens goes. Plastic bags can leak (trapping water *inside* the bag) and might fog or blur your photographs if you're trying to take pictures through the bag (I haven't tried this, though). Plus, with an underwater housing, you'll be able to take pictures of any fish, corals, and even family members underwater--it will open up a whole new realm of picture possibilities. Underwater photography is a lot of fun.

I'll second the advice to be careful of large temperature changes where humidity is present because water condensation is bad news. When I'm going diving, I'll wait until I'm on the boat or at the dive site to load my camera into its housing. I want the camera and housing at the same temperature when I load it to avoid fogging the lens. There can be a bit of trial and error invovled, and I have had fog spoil some of my shots in cold water conditions, but it hasn't ruined my camera. In the warm waters of Mexico you should have no problems at all.

For caving, I use a Pelican Micro case, which is a rugged waterproof case that protects my camera from moisture and shock while it's not in use. Another brand of similar cases is the "Otter Box." You should be able to find these online, at scuba shops, and maybe at some electronics dealers. Sizes vary, so bring your camera to see which case will work best for you. I cut out a couple small pieces of mouse pad so that my camera fits snugly in my case. I don't use any additional precautions when shooting pictures underground--just pull it out, snap away, then put it back in the case. I use the same case for general travel, too, and never worry about dropping or damaging my camera.

I hope you find some of these ideas helpful, and enjoy your trip!

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
Digital Cameras and Water
by Ed-Buchan / January 25, 2006 3:38 AM PST

Digital cameras and water are like oil and water. They do not mix. I purchased an Olympus C-8080 camera from the Future Shop in Canada. I purchased the extended warranty. When the camera suffered water damage I was told that voided the warranty. Three camra repair shops all stated a wet digital camera is "beyond repair."

So what ever you do Keep your camera dry. Avoid extended warranties. They are a rip off.

Collapse -
Extended Warranties
by PayzanPW / January 25, 2006 11:03 PM PST

I recently bought a printer at Future Shop, and the saleskid asked if I wanted an extended warranty. He looked shocked and disappointed when I politely refused, and asked why. I replied that on average, Future Shop makes a huge profit on every extended "warranty" it sells, therefore, on average, Joe Consumer must be the loser on the deal. He just looked confused, so I told him he would understand when he is older Happy

Collapse -
Future Shop Extended Warranty??? PSP Exchange??? BAH
by trivesty / August 31, 2007 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Extended Warranties

Based on the experience with my monitor, see below, I hope nothing happens with my digital camera in the next 4 months (it is a nice little camera even though it is almost 4 years old but I don't want the same hasless).

Should one buy the extended warranty future shop offers on their electronic products?? Only if you plan on getting your money back at sometime in the future. Here is the long and happy ending story of a sorts.

On December 12, 2005 I purchased a monitor with all the bells and whistle on sale for $599.96 (it was regularly almost $900 but it was an open box store demo) and a 5 year warranty for $169.99. About 4 weeks ago the DVI input died and I took the monitor in (hoping to get a replacement that day). No such luck. So I was without a monitor for almost 4 weeks. Today I receive a call from future shop saying that the monitor can?ft be repaired and the will do a PSP Exchange (from what the person on the phone said, it was to be exchanged for a monitor with similar features). So far so good. So I go down to the store and find that the features I had on my monitor are not available on any monitor lower than a 27?? (not even the 27?? had all the features my old 21?? had it but had the most important ones that I needed). So the sales person is all set to do the exchange but tells me that the product warranty can?ft be transfered to the new monitor and it will cost me an extra $300 even though it was good until December 2010 (so I figure that is not too bad). Just as we are about to get everything finalized, the manager comes over and says ?gNope, we can?ft give you the 27?? monitor for in the place for the one you have?h. The sales person mentions that it is their policy to exchange feature for feature and this one is the closest they have that has all the features my old monitor had, but in the end gives in and tells me ?gSorry Ash has the final say?h. So at this point I demand a refund and they are offering me a store credit (like I will shop there again), which I refuse and ask for a full refund which about 20 minutes later (and I actually had to argue with them to get my refund and not a store credit or some other such nonsense). What was the refund amount you may ask?? $885.45.

So lets due some math here:

1. the 27?? monitor was retailing for $999 (not on sale or anything which means that the cost was likely less than the $885.45 they refunded me in the end)
2. the warranty would have costed me an extra $300 (which would have been a sale for future shop and a satisfied customer which would have bought stuff later at their store (over the past year I spend an excess of $4000 at future shop and was planning on buying a notebook, along with a digital SLR, in the very near future).

instead the result was

3. me walking out of there with a refund on $885.45, a bitter customer who will not shop there again,

Basically for a couple of hundred dollars a manager costed the store thousands in future sales and I will tell my story to whoever chooses to listen advising them to chose wisely where they chose to shop.

I still want to know what PSP Exchange means as I still own a few products which has another 3-4 years warranty on them. Being the stupid consumer I am, and trusty of the warranties offered by future shop, I purchased an extended warranty on every electronic product over $200 that I ever purchased from future shop and this was the first time I ever need to use it and what happens??? Bad bad experience with their warranty plans.

On the plus side Gateway is offering the exact monitor I had for $479 so I will likely order it from them and I?fll be back to a happy person

A dis-satisfied customer from the store on 50 Gateway Park Drive in Kitchener, Ontario.

Collapse -
by fionndruinne / September 1, 2007 4:38 AM PDT

There's this amazing anti-humidity device you should take a look at; behold the umbrella!

If the rain isn't really coming down, I wouldn't worry about it, though; it takes more than a little wetness to ruin a camera. Only if you're actually going to submerse the camera would I think about the underwater case; it's rather pricey if I'm not mistaken.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!