Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is it time for USA to outlaw Islam in Iraq?

by James Denison / October 16, 2004 3:50 PM PDT

Time to put these terrorist and many of these mule headed mullahs inspiring such activity out of action. I'm really beginning to despise that chant "Allah Akhbah".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6095119/

Homemade bombs exploded over a two-hour period before dawn Saturday at the five churches in four separate Baghdad neighborhoods, causing no casualties but further alarming the Christian minority community already on edge over the perceived rise of Islamic militancy following last year's ouster of Saddam Hussein.

People gather to see the damage inside a church following an explosion, in Baghdad, Iraq, on Saturday.
In August, coordinated attacks hit four churches in Baghdad and one in Mosul, killing at least 12 people and wounding dozens more in the first significant strike against Iraq's estimated 800,000 Christians since the U.S. invasion began last year.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it time for USA to outlaw Islam in Iraq?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it time for USA to outlaw Islam in Iraq?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Is it time for USA to outlaw Islam in Iraq?
by David Evans / October 16, 2004 3:59 PM PDT

You know what? This sounds like a "hate crime" to me, so I'll wait to see what solutions the brilliant "progressive" social engineers will propose HERE.

Ann Coulter had the right idea...

DE

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / October 17, 2004 12:51 AM PDT

We are all angry, shocked, dismayed and saddened by the murderous events in Iraq. Those murderers are willing to kill innocents in a cowardly manner. For them to do it in the name of Islam is a sorry "excuse".

But should or even could the US outlaw Islam there is unthinkable. It is the religion of that country, as well as for millions world-wide. It is not Islam that is the problem, but it springs from radicals who would look for anything to justify their actins. Historically, it has not been that hard to gather bands of sociopaths who place value only on their agenda. (Like the Nazi concentration camps and the KKK.)

Iran once had a more democratic form of government, and Iraq, it is hoped, can one day. Consider that it is also a "created" country geographically-wise, and there is no love lost between the various religious factions, nor for those who drew the borders. hate passed on from generation to generation.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: outlaw Islam in Iraq -- We don't run iraq, now James!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 17, 2004 6:09 AM PDT

Besides, even when we did -- that action would by itself give the terrorist what they want, by setting off an all-Islamic jihad. And that's a war we lose, even if we win -- much like Pyrrhus. And your proposal would also give the lie to wanting democracy in iraq, since democracies don't ban the prevailing religion!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Not very practical.
by EdH / October 17, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

I don't think it's a good idea to equate Islam with terrorism. Do we want to outlaw Catholicism in Northern Ireland?

Even in Iraq, many, perhaps most Muslims are with us, not against us.

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 17, 2004 6:43 AM PDT

Hmmmm....sort of like one of our members advocating a while back to carpet bomb em' all. Sad

Collapse -
Not at all the same thing.
by James Denison / October 17, 2004 6:53 AM PDT

Has nothing to do with "kill them all". The problem with Islam is that it's a system that purports to be both a religion with a salvation message AND a government. It's not just interested in influencing government decisions, but in becoming the government. We've seen it in Iran, and they want to do it again in Iraq. When one government wars against another, the winner gets to call what kind of government will replace the previous.

Collapse -
That's all true but....
by C1ay / October 17, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

it should still be up to the people being ruled as to what kind of Government they choose to be ruled by. It should still be up to the people being ruled as to what kind of religion they choose to follow. Nothing more and nothing less than I would expect for myself.

Collapse -
True enough, but
by Roger NC / October 17, 2004 7:22 AM PDT

There have been times and places that a Christian agency was similair.

The Catholic Church has had much influence in Italy since the Holy Roman Empire days. The Anglician church in England. The Puritans that settled America did it as much because they couldn't persecute others in the community as the persecution they felt.

While you can argue these were governments that only gave token allegiance to a multinational relgious organization, there still was an intent by religion to rule.

You can call it a evolution of democracy and society, or a weakening of the church, depending on your view and preference.

You could almost make the argument that Islam today is where Christianity was roughly 1000 to 1500 years ago.

RogerNC

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe 400-500 years ago.
by Diana Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: True enough, but
Collapse -
Re: Not at all the same thing.
by drpruner / October 22, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

"the winner gets to call what kind of government will replace the previous"

Yes, and I think that's the burden of the prophecy at Dan 2:44. Do you see how the US fits in there?

Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
by James Denison / October 23, 2004 2:11 PM PDT

Dan 2:44

44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Well, I don't think that's the USA, but maybe.

Here's a long read on islamic fundamentalism. Osama worshippers. Probably acted the same way in Mohammed's day.

http://www.weirdrepublic.com/episode26.htm

Collapse -
by drpruner / October 24, 2004 2:02 PM PDT

"Well, I don't think that's the USA, but maybe."

That's actually the best reply I've had in a long time when I bring up Nebuchadnezzar's dream. Most say 'doesn't apply to USA' or 'doesn't apply to our day' or 'Bible is open to interpretation' (w/o offering their interpretation).

But I have to ask, "What part of all don't you understand?" (re "consume all these kingdoms")

I don't ask that with any sarcasm, btw; nationalism and apathy and other factors blind many of us, myself included at one time. (Mine was ignorance.)

Dan 2:44 hasn't happened yet. We know this because our daily paper tells us there are still many human gov'ts in existence. So, when?

"Never" some would say, believing the Bible is self-serving myth. We don't believe that; proof is this thread.

"Soon" I say, because I perceive a connection between Daniel, Mt 6:9, Mt 24:3-14, and Rev 16:14,16. What do you think?

Btw, I just got my first telephone political poll call; many SE people have been pestered often, per your posts. See how Jehovah protects me? Happy

Collapse -
by drpruner / October 17, 2004 7:39 AM PDT

Isn't that a job best left to your God?

Btw, I think it's "Allahu akhbar;" meaning, approximately, "God is Great." The irony is that one of the terms Muslims use for their god is - "the God of Abraham!"

Collapse -
No !..It's time to educate the religeous leaders.
by Mac McMullen / October 17, 2004 8:01 AM PDT

It's long past time, particularly in Iraq, that the clerics
have been allowed their loose rein. It's time to tell
each of them, in a language and manner they can/will
understand, that clerics do not equate to government. If
they don't like it, there is no negotiation. If they care
to voice objection, there will be a time a place for such
AFTER the elected government is in place. In the meantime
if they cannot support the effort, they are advised/warned
for the final time not to encourage opposition. Disobedience
on their part will be severly dealt with. Back up this
warning with immediate action with al Sadr and the clerics
in Fallujah.

Bury a few clerics early, and save hundreds of common
man Iraqis.

Collapse -
If I were a Christian in Iraq, I wouldnt be openly
by Dragon / October 17, 2004 9:49 AM PDT

going to church in a predominately Muslum country. In fact, I think Id be a 'closet' Christian.

Collapse -
Directly comparable to outlawing Catholicism in Italy
by Ziks511 / October 24, 2004 6:55 AM PDT

and just as ridiculous.

Rob Boyter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?