Laptops forum

Question

Is it the system, Dell software, charger, battery?

Hi.

I have Inspiron 3521 with the Radeon 8370M. When i start the laptop only on battery, the battery meter shows 5 hrs and there is no info message about starting up the Extended battery life option. Buuuut when i plug the charger for 1 minute and then unplug it, while the laptop is still working, suddenly Extended battery life is turned on and the battery meter(after 1 minute of recalculation) shows 6-7 hrs usage time. Aaaand this 6-7 hrs are real, i mean this is not some kind of bug or trick. Strange, cool or mystery?

I have aaaall of the latest drivers installed on the Win 7/64 system. Any suggestions why this happening every time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it the system, Dell software, charger, battery?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it the system, Dell software, charger, battery?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell more

In reply to: Is it the system, Dell software, charger, battery?

Keeping in mind battery life is warrantied for about 300 cycles at which they only will replace it if it's holding less than 50% charge the symptoms you are sharing look like an old battery. Is this battery over a year old?
Bob

Collapse -
Something I like to use.

In reply to: Tell more

Collapse -
Battery Care

In reply to: Something I like to use.

I use Battery Care, but i was used and that Batter Bar too. On both programs the wear level is 14,47 % , total discharge cycles(official) - 7.

Collapse -
about the battery

In reply to: Tell more

The battery is almost new about 3 months of use at all.

Collapse -
Then it's a warranty issue plain and simple.

In reply to: about the battery

A 3 month old laptop with this issue is back to it's maker to correct the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
COOOOOOL!!

I'd say cooool if this is the real meal deal...don't know what their claim is for battery life but if it does this, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just for drill, if you haven't already, just take a peek at the power settings on battery, that MIGHT tell you something. This is something I've never seen or heard of, perhaps one of the engineers might have a clue, I'd throw this one by Bob Proffitt for an opinion.

Collapse -
power settings

In reply to: COOOOOOL!!

I was looking in the power settings maybe 100 times and found nothing wrong. I think that after Windows boot process something is going wrong with the software but i don`t know which software.

Collapse -
Cooool

In reply to: power settings

Well if it is a software issue it pretty much has to be Windows or Windows/system driver related..as I said this is a new one on me but the battery longevity, if it really is 6-7 hours, welllllll, If this is/was the case and I am understanding you correctly.

Collapse -
Really coool ;)

In reply to: Cooool

Yeaah. I think that the problem is in the system, so i`m gonna try some "lighweight" champion and see if there any difference. Sooooo, i hope that this is the case, because i don`t want to spend time and other psyshological and psychothriller therms that are most common find in "Hi, we are the service but we are on self-service right now".. if you know what i mean Happy

Thanks for the tips, advices, suggestions and the good manners :))

Collapse -
Answer
I thought so

Well, the problem was the Dell`s Quickset software. I remove it and do the same "trick" as i mention in the fiiiirst post and guess what? On 50% battery power, the indicators shows something about 2:50 hrs... This "Quickset" do nothing good to me, except this nice view that you got when you "FN" for volume, brightness and etc.

Conclusion: I have to sacrifice the QuickSet and keep it in the Recycle Bin if i want to have that 1 hour + when i start the laptop only on battery.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!