General discussion

Is it the router or my laptop?

I'm having problems with my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 1546 with Windows 7 Home premium, AMD processor. When I start up google chrome, it doesn't load up, I leave it sitting for 15+ minutes and it never goes to the homepage(google). I've checked with the network and sharing center and it says the speed is 54mbps. We recently switched our router to an SMCWBR14S-N4 because our other one died. The wired connections work just fine. I've already scanned my laptop with malware bytes, avast, and ad-aware. I'm lost right now and am not sure wether it is my router or my laptop. Please respond, I'm feeling desperate.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is it the router or my laptop?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is it the router or my laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
re

Hello there,

have you tried another computer on that router ? 54 mbps is the connection speed between your laptop and your router. Your laptop recognized your router and the two are connected.

Try another PC/Laptop on that router and if it doesn't work, then check your router settings (you may need to redefine your username/password if you have broadband or DSL)

Otherwise you can already access your router settings from your laptop. Although I don't know what router you have but for the D-Link that I had, I used to write in the address bar : 192.168.0.1

Joe

- Collapse -
re to the re

I tried connecting to the router with another wireless device and it worked, got internet access and made it to cnet. I have a setup cd for the router and changed the settings on it and then it worked fine then 1 day later...nothing! I clould reset the router but then it wouldn't be protected. Thanks for re-ing, but it wasn't much help. I should probably call comcast since they were the ones who provided the router.

- Collapse -
Problem fixed after 35 minutes on the phone

The problem has been fixed. I chatted on the phone with comcast then with smc support. I'm sure it will happen again, but it has been fixed for now. The one thing I didn't do last time was delete all the saved networks in the network and sharing center. I finally have internet access and hope it doen't happen again. Thanks to all who helped.

- Collapse -
GREAT :)

Yes actually I didn't expect that to happen but I understand the problem now.

Yes by deleting the saved networks, it would definitly solve the problem, since other computers were able to connect to the internet through that router without any problem.

I know someone who had the same problem while trying to connect to my router at home. Actually he used a connection with an IP address that he had to enter in the network settings. We had to uncheck it and tick the box : automatic IP address.

This problem might occur again with you in case you use another router (friend's house or work etc...), if so, always check your wireless network settings to be sure they're matching with your router requirements.

I am glad your problem was solved, those can really get irritating !

Regards

Joe

CNET Forums

Forum Info