Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is it still the case that Texas residents attend Rice Univer

by Ziks511 / March 2, 2006 9:59 AM PST

University tuition free? It was true in the mid 60's but is it still?

This manuscript I'm editing is by a Texas boy, although he went to Caltech. Y'all'd love him, an Atheist, a person who chose to leave the US rather than continue getting deferment after deferment from the war for his continuing studies in Physics, and then head-hunted back to the States. Just your kind of person. NOT.

He and I got along like a house afire, a wonderful intelligent and all round pleasant person. Hell of a teacher too.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it still the case that Texas residents attend Rice Univer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it still the case that Texas residents attend Rice Univer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, it's not the case and never has been.
by Jack Ammann / March 2, 2006 12:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks JP. Nathan would have started in 1964 had he gone
by Ziks511 / March 3, 2006 7:27 AM PST

there.

Rob

Collapse -
Sorry Jack, but Nathan's Uncle was educated there, and
by Ziks511 / March 3, 2006 7:33 AM PST

Nathan assumed he would be going to Rice tuition free beginning in 1964, as did his family. He would have too if he hadn't gotten a slew of scholarships including one from Caltech itself. He certainly had no reason to fabricate such an easily checkable fact, especially since his memoirs are effectively a deathbed document for his children's information. Nathan died of cancer 6 years ago.

Rob

Collapse -
The Rice site ...
by Evie / March 3, 2006 9:56 AM PST

... says nothing about Texas residents. They started charging tuition in 1965 so that's been a practice for quite some time now.

Collapse -
Hence my question. Nathan would have gone in '64
by Ziks511 / March 3, 2006 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: The Rice site ...

but went to Caltech instead. I was just surprised, I didn't know there were any tuition free universities in the 60's.

Rob

Collapse -
I was commenting on the wording ...
by Evie / March 3, 2006 10:29 AM PST

... Rice being free vs. free for Texas residents is a bit different. Also it hasn't been free for quite some time apparently. Apparently it used to be free for whichever whites it chose to admit.

Collapse -
Um Evie, my post says "Is it still true that Texas residents
by Ziks511 / March 4, 2006 4:47 PM PST

can attend Rice University for free" I didn't think it was free to anybody, just Texas residents. I never knew that any University in the US ever admitted anyone tuition free, it's just something I never knew and was surprised to learn.

The manuscript I'm editing talked about his uncle attending free in the late 40's early 50's and of Nathan contemplating it because his family wasn't enormously well off and he would have entered in 1964 the year before tuition was introduced. I assume that those who started tuition free would have been allowed to finish their education there tuition free because the tuition would have driven many away. I may be wrong in this, but I am clear that Rice stopped being tuition free and discriminatory a long time ago.

Thank you for your posts though

Rob

Collapse -
I was just trying to point out that ...
by Evie / March 4, 2006 10:18 PM PST

... Jack and JP were not necessarily at odds and that your original post/question seemed to address Rice and tuition for TX residents. Gosh you're awfully defensive these days!

Universities have admitted students tuition free forever Rob. Even now. I attended grad school tuition free. At least three of my undergrad college friends did not pay tuition for their bachelor's degrees at a private school.

Collapse -
Isn't that called 'scolarships' that are given out
by John Robie / March 4, 2006 11:54 PM PST

also 'grants'?

Believe I mentioned this some time ago, but once worked with a black guy in the middle 70's who had attended different colleges full time for over 7 years free which included room/board and spending money. He said he wanted to spend at least 10 years in college instead of working but they finally cut him off. Said there are many, many organizations that will give to someone who is a minority going to college, it just takes a little effort to find and spend 7-10 years having a good time.

Err...JP was ''not necessarily at odds'' at all, but Jack was totally wrong, apparently not checking.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, my finger missed the 'h' key.
by John Robie / March 5, 2006 12:00 AM PST
Collapse -
My graduate tuition was waived ...
by Evie / March 5, 2006 12:19 AM PST

... I call that ''tuition free''.

What Rice used to do for white students is no different than the hundreds of heavily endowed private institutions that provide free education to their students. Whether that is couched as a ''grant'' to a needy student, or a ''scholarship'' for an academically worthy student, it's all the same thing. I'm quite sure not every white kid that wanted to go to Rice was admitted. It may be unique that Rice didn't charge anyone tuition until 1965, but there's not enough info to conclude that and I, for one, have little interest in doing the research.

Rob STATED that it was TRUE that TX residents attended Rice for free in the mid 60's. That's as ''true'' as Jack's reply -- because there is no indication that residency was even considered in determining who received a free education. It is probably true to this day that some TX residents attend Rice for free. And some non-TX residents, and probably even a few foreigners too!

Rice was a popular ''you should check it out'' school among the guidance counselors when I reached that point. Rice, Temple, Tufts were the ''buzz schools'' for whatever reason, as I recall.

TX has an excellent, low cost, public university system, AIR from my TX college friend. But it's not free. So I'm as surprised as the next person to discover that Rice or any private university ever was free to all. Maybe our resident historian should do his own research Devil

Collapse -
Yep,
by John Robie / March 5, 2006 12:41 AM PST

I received the college education I wanted years ago, but never checked out Rice back then. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Where'd you go to College, John?
by Jack Ammann / March 5, 2006 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Yep,
Collapse -
Ah Jack, you are still trying
by John Robie / March 5, 2006 9:07 AM PST

Well, let me say that you and I did attend the same educational institution at one time.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ....and what College was that at, JR?
by Jack Ammann / March 5, 2006 9:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Well Jack,
by John Robie / March 5, 2006 9:45 AM PST

I do not reveal a lot of info on myself, something that I learned a long time ago in one of my major occupations.

Collapse -
JR, I'm not trying to pick an argument with you. I just....
by Jack Ammann / March 5, 2006 10:24 AM PST

...thought we could reminisce a little bit about the good ole days...both being from the same area.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This sub-thread is closed !
by Angeline Booher / March 5, 2006 7:45 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: awfully defensive these days!
by jonah jones / March 5, 2006 12:59 AM PST

Rob asked two direct questions "Is it still the case that Texas residents attend Rice University tuition free? It was true in the mid 60's but is it still?"

Jack was 50% right when he said, no they do not, and 100% wrong saying it never has been

JP gave a link saying yes it WAS true

so i reckon that a little nit picking could cause a man to be "awfully defensive these days!"

and yes, i know that they admit students for "free", but these are scholarships or grants as pointed out by JR

Collapse -
What's up with you lately?
by Evie / March 5, 2006 1:39 AM PST

BTW, scholarships and grants are EXACTLY what Rice used to do for EVERY attendee. That's how endowments work Jonah. It was as "free" as my parents attended college for free on full academic scholarships which were funded by the endowments of their respective institutions. As I said, I attended grad school tuition free. I never saw a bill. Money wasn't even "officially" paid on my behalf. Tuition was waived. But that's all semantics anyway, as I'm sure that my tuition was accounted for as a cost to the department somewhere in the budget.

But you did a valiant job defending Rob from nothing!

Collapse -
Rob, when you said ''FREE'', I thought you were talkin'...

...about the total cost to go to Rice. ''Tuition'' by itself at Rice was ''FREE'', but Room and board (if you lived in a dorm), books, matriculation etc was not free. Back then, Tuition per se was the cheapest cost element of going to College in Texas. For example, when I went to Texas A&M, Tuition was $25.00...and you could take as many semester hours as the Dean would allow you to take. One semester, the Dean allowed me to take 21 hours for my $25.00. Tuition at Private Colleges was somewhat higher. But by the time you were fully enrolled, the cost was several thousand dollars...and Room and Board etc was not free...ever...at Rice. Now this excludes scholarships.

Collapse -
Let it never be said I don't defend Rob!
by Evie / March 5, 2006 1:45 AM PST

LOL

He did say "tuition free".

How about we chalk it up to honest misunderstanding all around and join hands and sing a round of kumbaya! :D;)

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Wrong, Jack -- though it was ALL students
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 5, 2006 9:59 PM PST

(most were from Texas). Definitely not the case now, though it's still near the top of the annual US News survey of best affordable schools.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Here you go...
by J. Vega / March 2, 2006 1:20 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks v much Senor Vega. -- Rob
by Ziks511 / March 3, 2006 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Here you go...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?