General discussion

Is it safe to disable RAM check when booting Windows?

Hello

I have a new workstation here that has 48GB RAM. (That's correct - 48GB). This amount of RAM is HEAVEN for my work (video/3D/graphics), but it takes over 5 minutes for the machine to boot because (I assume) of the RAM check which must take place.

I have heard that there are switches in the BIOS that can disable the RAM check. Since I already know the RAM is good, is it safe for me to disable that check and be able to boot faster?

Thanks

---------S

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is it safe to disable RAM check when booting Windows?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is it safe to disable RAM check when booting Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's a personal choice.

Let's say I tell you it's OK and you lose a file system. Would you consider it bad advice? Or let's say I write it's not OK and everything works fine. Is that bad advice?

My thought is that you have to make the choice.
Bob

- Collapse -
Riiiight.

Let's say you tell me yes or no and I don't blame you for the outcome.

Get realistic, dude. I wouldn't hunt you down if you advised me one way or another and things went wrong. I clearly do not know the ramifications of this, so why don't you enlighten me.

- Collapse -
Enlighten.

There are good reasons for the test and not much of a good reason to not do that test.

The minute saved at boot time is wiped out if we have to recover a system. I've seen recovery take months so let's take it that a full system recovery is ONE DAY. Let's say the boot test is one minute.

There are 1,440 minutes in a day so if you boot the machine every day then in about 4 years you have got your payback for turning it off.

This is insurance. Optional and a personal choice. I'd leave it on for now.
Bob

- Collapse -
:)

Thanks for the honest reply.

- Collapse -
In Vista it's called mem check

and it's a special test to see if the RAM memory is good. This is an elective/voluntary test. That's not what's happening during the start up. Information is being written to your RAM from the hard drives for use during the operation of the PC. "Do not" disable it. It also does this during the PC/workstations shut down but in reverse, from RAM > drive.

This sort of gives you the idea see the super vetch part ..........

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/09/why-does-vista-use-all-my-memory.html

Hay, Bob that RAMdisk thing is working well for me with some slight performance increases. One major side line from it is cooler PC operation since you use the drives less. Try it with some of your gaming programs. You can use IObit smartdefrag to monitor how full it is. The free RAMdisk version has a 2GB maximum capacity. More then enough for a few MMORPGs. It does slow down shut down though.

Finally, after over three years I have achieved that SSD drive I was after and without spending a dime, amazing. Some times quickly, sometimes ......... LOL

- Collapse -
Why not try this first

Remove as much RAM as you can and boot the machine. If it's significantly faster getting past BIOS checks and Windows load (it's got to configure the swap file unless you've been able to lock it down), then the test is consuming measurable time. If you think it's adding waiting time isn't acceptable, you can see what BIOS options are available to trim that back. Usually I see a fast boot option which allows a quick rather than extensive RAM check. I suppose how to deal with excessive time becomes your choice. Personally, I'd prefer the machine halt or alert me to such errors and let me deal with them preemptively. My adjustment might just be to kick start the PC and go make coffee or shower while it boots rather than pace the floor waiting and wasting time.

CNET Forums

Forum Info