Download.com Site Feedback forum

Question

Is it safe now to download from CNET?

The last time (several months ago) that I downloaded and installed something from CNET, it changed my search bar to something strange, which I had an awful time trying to get rid of. I read that CNET's new management was allowing its downloaded products to do this, and so I have been afraid to download anything again. My question is, is it safe now to download and install something from CNET - for example, the newly announced Glary utilities? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it safe now to download from CNET?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it safe now to download from CNET?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've never had any problems

In reply to: Is it safe now to download from CNET?

with C/net downloads. You just need to pay attention to what your options are. Un-check the extra add-ons that you don't want or you can always Google Glary Utilities and download it right from the source.

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: I've never had any problems

Thank you. I am so disappointed that they would put people in anyway at risk.

Collapse -
Answer
If you avoid the CNET downloader or installer, yes.

Sorry but I've tested this a few times and you can't just say no any longer to the add ons. Sweetpacks installed even when I opted out.

The Direct Downloads are OK so far.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: If you avoid the CNET downloader or installer, yes.

I am just so disappointed that they would put people in any way at risk.

Collapse -
There was no trojan at least.

In reply to: Thank you.

Collapse -
Answer
NO, it is not safe to download from CNET

I just downloaded a pdf printer program today, 6-3-2013. CNET started installing it's own Download Manager first without a clear way of getting out of it. I DID uncheck all of the garbage that followed, the garbage Ask Toolbar, and a couple of other things that popped up. The next thing I knew I had this SweetPack Trojan/virus installed on my system. It installed on every browser, and removed the link to whatever Home page was set. Opening the browser took me to the SweetPack ad page with rotating phones asking how many phones were rotating. Nice!! NOT!!! Windows 7, I went into Control Panel and Removed the program. I then looked in Program Files, and there it was, Sweetpacks Updater, which would not allow to be deleted as it was In Use.

Being computer savvy, I went into Regedit and searched for and deleted all Keys related to "Sweet", rebooted, and was able to delete that last vestige of the program. All is well now on my computer. If you download from CNET, I hope you have the computer knowledge to do the same.

Is it safe to download from CNET? I'm thinking NOT, at least as long as they allow Trojans on their download site.

Collapse -
I downloaded YouTube Downloader--got a Trojan

In reply to: NO, it is not safe to download from CNET

I downloaded You Tube Downloader on 9-5-13--and got a Trojan.
There are NO safe places to download anything anymore on the www.

Fortunately--I have very extensive virus protection--and it was detected and stopped.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.