Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is it really possible to accelerate dialup modem internet

In Spain modem internet connection is difficult. Normally the two indicator screens on the taskbar are off. Connecting is difficult because of the famous 678 errors(TELEFONICA say "the lines are saturated)
When they're on and I try to open any link they normally go dead. Send and receive email is poblematic. Sometimes we(many people here have the same problem) have to want five or more minutes to open a page.
I've tried "mindsoft internet optimizer", "webroot's accelerate", "speedconnect start", "bysort stayalive pro" without real success. Is there anybody out there with a solution to this frustrating problem?

Andr

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it really possible to accelerate dialup modem internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it really possible to accelerate dialup modem internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Internet acceleration

In reply to: Is it really possible to accelerate dialup modem internet

Collapse -
Speeding up connection on a saturated line.

Only your ISP can improve the data flow from them to you. You can only improve things like transfer rates inside your PC. Internet optimizers, accelerators etc. improve things inside your PC. You may be able to improve things by having your ISP inspect your telephone lines for faults, try a different modem or type of modem ......

Collapse -
Slow technology...

Andre,

I'm afraid you may have fall victum to your countries inability to keep up with technology. Your 'saturated' message is very telling in that too many people are demanding a now limited resource, especially during peak hours. No one could have anticipated the huge demand for twisted pair resources the Internet has created. It's just one big collosal traffic jam. Until Spain decides to improve its telecommunication infrastructure you and all your friends will suffer an ever increasing slowdown in response time. And it's going to get worse before it get better.

At this point the best path here is obtaining either cable or DSL broadband if it's available and affordable.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
What connection speeds are you getting?

Also what kind of modem... V90, 56K?
I have a couple of suggestions
1/ download Mozilla - its less memory hungry than IE and you can turn off all adds from selected web site by right clicking on them which speeds up things. You also have more control over cookies which will help as well.
2/ get a program called net.medic from VitalSigns - its free for a month but it tells you exactly where your problems are - it really is a full packed program.

I take it you have tried changing your MTU sizes? - but tell us what modem you have and maybe there is something we can do to tweak it. Tell me the model, make, and firmware version - you can also send me a copy of the modem log file so I can see what is happening - append a ATI1-6 scan as well. - just cut and past and email me - put your return email address in the body of the email if you want me to reply direct.
Peter

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It could be all the BIT*.Tmp files slowing you down!! l

In reply to: What connection speeds are you getting?

Collapse -
internet speed & BIT.TMP

In reply to: (NT) It could be all the BIT*.Tmp files slowing you down!! l

I've tried all suggestions on the castlecop page. The only thing left to do is reboot my pc because I deleted some suspected processes after running hijackthis.
I'll let you know whether this solved my problem with the BIt files.

Saludos,
Andr

Collapse -
DNS speed increase.

Try looking on ZDNet in the downloads section, they may have something there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.