Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Is it really necessary to own 5 copies of Office SBE 2003?

I know we're going to get a lot of heat for this but....

We just bought 2 new identical Dell notebooks for our home. When we went through the purchasing process with our Dell Sales agent, we asked it there was anything we could purchase once but that we could install on both systems? We were told that each application was strictly for one system only.

Now I'm going through our computer file box, taking out old software and documentation for systems we are discarding and I find 3 more copies of MS Small Business Edition 2003. Plus, we purchased 2 separate Trend Micro Security Systems and other applications.

Seriously, is this really necessary or were we hoodwinked??

Now, we are not a corporate user that has hundreds of people using their software. We also understand why each computer should have its own legitimate, authentic operating system. Lastly, we are not buying pirated items and would not approve of doing so. But.....shouldn't we be able to purchase one issue of a software that can be used at our discretions on multiple computers in our home? We own it after all. If we purchase any other item, as long as it was for private use, we would be able to use it anywhere.

We are so afraid of locking everything up...could we realistically have just installed one copy on both computers or even use one of the ones we already own? We would love to know for the future and save a few hundred $$.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it really necessary to own 5 copies of Office SBE 2003?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it really necessary to own 5 copies of Office SBE 2003?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: copies

In reply to: Is it really necessary to own 5 copies of Office SBE 2003?

Msk,

You pay for the license (the right to use it) and you get the CD for free. After all, the cost to produce a CD is minor (say USD .25), so it's cheaper for Dell to give one to every user in stead of having the administrative complications of selling both complete packages and licenses only with new computer.

It's no problem.

Kees

Collapse -
Am I licensed?

In reply to: Re: copies

So my question is, did I purchase the license for myself as an individual (which would enable me to use it on multiple computers in my home)...........or does the license apply to each indivual computer system?

Again, I understand why that would apply to operating systems but does that apply to programs and applications (security software, etc.)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "It's no problem". Can I make my next purchase (which I will be doing within 6 months) and save $$ by assuming that I can install the programs from the disks I already own?

Collapse -
Read the EULA.

In reply to: Am I licensed?

It depends on the version. Some versions allow install at both a desktop and a laptop, provided they aren't used at the same time. The Student & Teacher edition, I seem to remember, allows for 3 installs.

When you register the software (and current Microsoft software needs registration to work) this is checked.

With "It's no problem" I meant it was no problem to have multiple disks.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.