Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Is it possible to write a script to embed jpgs, flv & swf?

by danbender / September 27, 2009 6:23 PM PDT

Here's the rub. I work for a govt agency in public affairs. Every day we but a photo an with an embedded caption into a folder. When it gets submitted a script puts it onto the homepage with the caption. Voila!

The problem is that we've got a whole lot of videos and swf-based audio slide shows produced by the field that don't really have a home, much less a place to be showcased.

Would it be possible to write a script to pluck flvs and swf and insert the necessary embed codes as well, depending on the type of file that goes into the drop folder?

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it possible to write a script to embed jpgs, flv & swf?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it possible to write a script to embed jpgs, flv & swf?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The answer must be yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

But you need a staff programmer familiar with your system to implement it. Give them a week to research it and present a proposal with program costs and schedule.
Bob

Collapse -
Programmatically search folder for swf & perform an action.
by genecyber / January 18, 2010 1:46 AM PST

danbender,

My name is Shannon. I would like to introduce you to a product that could accomplish your request and do much more. RSSBus is a server side engine that allows you to script many actions that would be either complicated or require extensive server side coding to achieve.

The reason I mention RSSBus is because out of the box RSSBus has operations for reading and writing to files and folders that live on the server.

A simple example of reading the contents of a folder and looking for specific files you would like to work with is as follows.

<rsb:call op="fileListDir?filter=*.swf&path=c:\somefolder\">
<a href="[_.fullname]">[_.fullname]</a>
</rsb:call>

The above script will search inside the folder c:\somefolder\ looking for files that end with .swf producing a page with links to each of those files. This script can be modified to perform some action based on the resulted search, for instance append an html document in another location, or move the discovered files to another location.

-Shannon
RSSBus Support

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.