PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Is it possible to have to much RAM?

by satish_997 / May 16, 2008 1:50 PM PDT

? I'm running XP Pro SP2 32 bit, nForce 780i board, and 4 x 2GB Patriot DDR2 800. I waaaaay to much RAM, and a 32 bit operating system can only recognize up to 4GB; I've heard though that, even though a 32 bit OS will only recognize up to 4GB, it could still use all 8GB if it had to. Nevertheless, my computer has suddenly started taking about 4 minutes on its 'Memory Testing' at startup. Someone suggested that so much RAM could be the source of this. Is this true? My motherboard says it supports up to 8GB.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it possible to have to much RAM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it possible to have to much RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It could be the delay
by lacsr / May 16, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

If you have the memory test option ticked on the BIOS, it possibly could be the cause for the delay. Go into the BIOS and tick the fast boot option to eliminate the memory test to see if it does.

Collapse -
I've heard though that, even though a 32 bit OS will only
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

"I've heard though that, even though a 32 bit OS will only recognize up to 4GB, it could still use all 8GB if it had to."

Sorry there are very very few machines that have the PAE capability. Please stick to 4GB and under for these machines. And treat such hearsay with a deaf ear.
Bob

Collapse -
You've posted this question or something like it 3 times
by VAPCMD / May 17, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

here on CNET and have yet to provide the facts in terms of hardware detail necessary for anyone to help you. In addition, it would be helpful to know what research or testing you've done to solve the problem.

'nForce 780i' is a motherboard chipset used by several mfgs on their motherboards. Without the specifics on the MB and perhaps the RAM, answers to questions like this are little more than educated WAGs.

The nagging question is...have you contacted the MB mfg regarding this problem. What do they say ? Beyond that, is the BIOS up to date ? Have you tried with just 4GBs or even 2GB ? Have you tested each stick of RAM ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
tried differenent things
by satish_997 / May 17, 2008 2:16 AM PDT

Yes, I've posted this problem probably about three times, but I only did so after I had tried or heard something new. This original post, for example, was simply asking if it was possible to have to much memory. The motherboard is EVGA's nForce 780i SLI 775 A1 Version. No, I did not contact EVGA because I didn't think the motherboard was the problem; it should support up to 8GB. I did think to try testing each RAM stick and that gave me some funny results. After taking the first stick out and booting, it booted right away. Figuring I should check to make sure it wasn't the motherboard slot and not the RAM stick, I moved the second RAM stick over into the now empty first slot and booted. Again, it booted quickly only spending a second on the memory test. Just to be on the safe side, I thought I mind as well test the first stick one more time so I put it back into the second slot. Strangely, it booted fine again. Two days later and another post later, the exact same thing happened again where it took 4 minutes on the test.

Collapse -
I'd stick to one post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

The problem with a new posting is that the prior information and questions are lost so we are doomed to ask them again.

Collapse -
You need to post about a problem in one thread
by VAPCMD / May 17, 2008 3:33 AM PDT

the same place and you need to provide detail. Otherwise you're wasting your time and ours.

That said....is this your motherboard ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

If yes...have you looked at product reviews for feedback on RAM problems ?

From the above product manual it says

Your new motherboard has four 1.8V 240-pin slots for DDR2 memory. These slots support 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB DDR2 memory modules. They also support dual channel DDR2 memory technology up to 10.7GB/s. There must be at least one memory bank populated to ensure normal operation. Use the following the recommendations for installing memory. (See Figure 1 on page 7 for the location of the memory slots.)
􀂉 One DIMM: Install into slot 0. You can install the DIMM into any slot, however, slot 0 is preferred. Two DIMMs: Install into either slots 0 and 1 or 2 and 3. The idea is to not have the DIMMs in adjacent slots. Four DIMMS: Install into slots 0, 1, 2, and 3

Which is your RAM ? Looks alike they all require more than 1.8V. And Patriot doesn't list DIMMs for eVga MBs. You should have looked at all this before you bought RAM for the MB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+50002204+1052108080+1052416064+1052315794&name=4GB+(2+x+2GB)

What's your BIOS RAM voltage ? Perhaps its' set too low.

Why not try 2 DIMMs in the slots to make it run dual channel ?

If any problems bump the voltage a little

And by all means write to the both mfgs and get their feedback.
(support@patriotmem.com)

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Two things. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 17, 2008 8:08 AM PDT

1.) Disable the RAM test in the BIOS.

2.) More than two Gig is total overkill.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?