Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Is it possible to convert wordperfect 5.0 to MS word 2003?

by dongabby5 / June 17, 2008 9:03 AM PDT

I am a new assistant for a gentleman that has all his documents (4,000!)in WordPerfect 5.0. The computer I am working on has MicroSoft 2003. I would like to convert the files from 5.0 to Word, but I don't have the disc. Apparently, he has lost it over the course of a couple of office moves. Is this possible? If so, how?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it possible to convert wordperfect 5.0 to MS word 2003?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it possible to convert wordperfect 5.0 to MS word 2003?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 9:34 AM PDT

...simply RIGHT click on the file, choose "Open With", choose "Choose Program", then place a CHECK mark in the box that says: "Always use this program to open this type of file", then scroll to the "Microsoft Word" selection and double click on it.

WordPerfect 5.0 should be one of the default converters in your Word 2003 package. It is in Word 2002 on this machine.

If it opens in Word corrctly, you should be able to save the file as a Word doc by clicking on "File", the upper left, choose "Save As", then choose the "Save as Type" line as a .doc file.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
WP 5.0 to MS Word 2003
by dongabby5 / June 17, 2008 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried??

Okay, I did exactly what you said and thank you! Your directions were clear and easy! But the file converter is not installed. A box pops up and says that I need the Word disc. And unfortunately, the disc is lost. What is the next step? Thanks for any help!

Collapse -
You have to have the installation Cd ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 17, 2008 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: WP 5.0 to MS Word 2003

to add the file converters.

Since you don't have it, you could contact Microsoft for a replacement CD (hopefully you did register it or have some proof of purchase).

There is another trick you might try. Corel made a conversion utility available that will convert files from one format to another. It will not convert directly from WordPerfect 5.0 to Word 2003 but will convert from WP 5.0 to MS Word 6, 7, or 97 or to RTF (all of which Word 2003 can handle). It also only converts one file at a time.

It can be downloaded from here:

After downloading that installation file you must run it and it will set you up with the actual conversion utility named Cvwin80.exe

Another route you could take would be to obtain WordPerfect Office 8.0 or higher and install it then get one of the converters from this link which would allow multiple conversions - (WordPerfect Office 8.0 OEm can be found here for $29.00 - )

Collapse -
Thank you, Edward
by dongabby5 / June 18, 2008 1:25 AM PDT

I am amazed at the help available through this forum! Your directions are clear and concise, I will give it all a try and let you know how it turns out!. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Thanks, Grif!
by dongabby5 / June 17, 2008 9:42 AM PDT

Wow! That was fast! I will give it a try and let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

Collapse -
Wordperfect to Word
by Zouch / June 28, 2008 6:10 AM PDT

I assume the copy of Word that you have access to is a legitimate properly licenced copy. If it isn't, go to Plan B later in this reply.

If it is a genuine copy and you can check this by going to Office Update and checking for updates - this will check whether the copy is genuine before it continues with its process, if you can borrow a copy of the appropriate Office CD, you can use it to load the converter, as per the instructions in one of the earlier replies. Then you can just open the Wordperfect files in Word. If you can't borrow a CD, go to Plan B. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COPY THE CD - that violates the EULA and is illegal.

Plan B is to download and install a copy of (it's free) and import the Wordperfect files into its word processor. Save the files as RTF (rich text format) files and then Word will happily read them. If you came to Plan B because the copy of Word could not be validated, suggest to your author that he might like to transfer to anyway - macros apart, it is very compatible with MS Office.

I've never used it but maybe Google Docs word processor can import the Wordperfect files and it would be the same process as Plan B, except that you wouldn't need to install anything locally.

And, of course, you could Google for a format converter program, there are a number of free utilities out there - I've not used them, so I can't make a recommendation.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Office 2003 Converter Pack download
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?