Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Is it possible to buy a LEGIT copy of MS Office 2010 Pro

by shiphen3 / August 30, 2013 5:35 AM PDT

Hi

Is it still possible to buy a LEGIT copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional (i.e. including MS Access) ?

If so from where - and how do we know that it's legit?

Also is it possible to just download it rather than wait for the DVDs / paperwork etc to be shipped to me?

J

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it possible to buy a LEGIT copy of MS Office 2010 Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it possible to buy a LEGIT copy of MS Office 2010 Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
PS ideally the x64 version
by shiphen3 / August 30, 2013 5:37 AM PDT

PS I will be using it on Windows 8 Pro (x64) , so presumably the 64Bit version would be best.

Collapse -
Given the issues folk had with Outlook 64 bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2013 6:06 AM PDT

Why not just get some Office 2010 off Amazon and 32 bit apps work fine on 64 bit OSes. Why repeat what others have battled with?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Professional-2010-Version/dp/B0036Z0NW6/

Only the "Professional" version has Access. But in over a decade my work has me getting folk off of Access. Sounds odd but do you really need that?

Buying at retail outlets or amazon gives you a lot of protection.
Bob

Collapse -
Has Office64 been bad? I didnt know...
by shiphen3 / August 30, 2013 7:50 AM PDT

The argument for 64 bit is that you can use more than 3 point something GB of RAM so it's better and faster. Given that I have rather large .PST Outlook archive files this might be a good idea.

We have a lot of man-hours invested in ms Access and it seems to work. What's wrong with it and what do you prefer?

I am getting increasingly suspicious of Amazon. Their prices a increasingly inflated and it seems like any Tom, **** or Harry can sell through them, but yes I suppose if you buy through actual Amazon themselves you'd be safe.

Out of interest I suppose it must be legally possible to buy msOffice second hand, no? If so I'm not sure how you could prove it is legit aside of maybe spending hours phoning up Microsoft.

Collapse -
The large PST file issue was dealt with a patch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

Sure about second hand, it's all in the agreement so why not? License transfers are done and I'm unsure what question there is here. That is, all license issues are between you and MSFT. No one else can activate the product.
Bob

Collapse -
Re 64bit Office Pro ....recently uninstalled Office Pro
by VAPCMD / August 30, 2013 10:58 AM PDT

32bit and immediately installed 64bit. It was easier than expected ...including no set up whatsoever for Outlook.

Why did I do that ? Under Excel I kept getting 'out of resource' messages, 'select less data' messages, 'can't display all data in dropdown' messages with the 32bit version....and I was running Win 7 Pro 64bit with 16GBs RAM, i7 CPU and 3TB of disk space.

Bottom line .... since installing Office 2010 Pro 64bit, no hiccups or error messages like shown above. Some of the spreadsheets run 266K rows and 114 columns and others have 50-60 columns with rows running to the spreadsheet limits.

Hope this helps

Let us know how it all works out.

VAPCMD

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About Outlook 64. Link about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2013 8:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
No optical disk at present...
by shiphen3 / August 30, 2013 8:55 AM PDT

Btw my new laptop doesnt have an optical disk. Is that a problem?
Would it still be a problem if I went for 32-bit?

Or maybe I'll be forced to buy an external optical disk in any case... :^(

Another question is how one would go about sourcing legit copy second hand.

Collapse -
Never.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2013 9:10 AM PDT

I don't want to upset you but the same complaint was heard from netbook buyers. If you don't want to repeat those discussions that's fine but without an optical drive how are you going to make backup media and more?

Seems short sighted and the usual USB DVDRW drive is 29 bucks here. How folk get by without should be interesting.

Say after all this why Office when many can get by with LibreOffice and Thunderbird?
Bob

Collapse -
LibreOffice - any good?
by shiphen3 / August 30, 2013 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Never.

For data transfer I have a 32GB USB3.0 memory stick.

I will probably end up needing to buy a DVD optical USB drive but not if I dont have to!

Yes, I've heard reasonable reports of Thunderbird although I dont know how well it works with msExchange (2007)... How does LibreOffice compare with Open Office? And can it run on Win8? (esp can it open & save msOffice 2010 spreadsheets?)

Collapse -
As to many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2013 9:49 AM PDT

MS Exchange is quite expensive so I can't imagine our office popping for for that and then not having a ODD. But that's besides the point. You can copy the DVD content to the USB stick and install from the stick.

As to MS Office and Thunderbird that's just a google away. As to LibreOffice that's odd you mention the old OpenOffice. Time to catch up I guess as one development stops and the next moves on. As to open save it has for years. The only complaint I heard which we all smiled was the boxes didn't look the same. Very odd complaint. It's like they wanted to pay the tax.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
LEGIT copy of MS Office 2010 Pro
by CharlieEvans / October 30, 2016 11:03 AM PDT

Hi,
I recently lost my lap top (mother board fried) , bought a new dell top from Sams and it's basically has no real software, old lap top had about everything, I want to but a copy of 2010 MS Office Professional with MS Publisher for Windows 10.
I been jerked around for weeks with little to show for it, most software offers all seems to be a scam (as to goggle them).
Long story but where would one go.
Thanks
Charlie

Collapse -
Libre Office
by James Denison / October 30, 2016 11:38 AM PDT

find it, install it, use it.

Collapse -
There is no such version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2016 12:42 PM PDT

If you want to buy Office 2010 Pro you go do that but no where did I find a notation "for Windows 10."

It does appear to still run on W10, which is nice.

Collapse -
Re: office 2010
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 31, 2016 1:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Libre Office
by James Denison / October 30, 2016 11:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.