General discussion

Is it possible to block adult content on your wifi network?

I run a B&B and offer free wifi. I want to ensure guests don't access or download anything offensive or illegal. Is there a way I can stop this?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is it possible to block adult content on your wifi network?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is it possible to block adult content on your wifi network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You did ask me.

1. Not really. Bits and bytes are bits and bytes. Your guests must sign off that they are responsible for their actions.

2. If you have the right router you can use OPENDNS. Not to explain fully but Netgear routers can use that and you can set the bar very low and lock out a lot of iffy content.

3. Even with that, it's not a sure thing.

4. If you want to assure that they can't do that, you need to shut down the wifi and internet.
Bob

- Collapse -
As Bob says...

The only sure way is No. 4.

Alternatives depend on your network. Your router will (should) have a hardware firewall built-in. Depending how flexible this is, you "might" be able to block the nasty stuff.

Or you could consider an Interner Security Appliance, which should let you block pretty much what you want. The downside is that these units are designed primarily for business and carry a corresponding price. I've seen basic models under about 800 UK pounds. Checkpoint do some consumer models but there are many more. Worth spending a couple of hours research on the internet or try one of the security magazine's reviews (SC Magazine in UK).

- Collapse -
Blocking

It depends upon your router. Some routers have built-in tables which allow you to block certain addresses and/or keywords. Unfortunately, this could be a never-ending job! You also have to be careful about your keywords, since putting in "sex" might block "Middlesex."

Dave

CNET Forums

Forum Info