Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is it okay to allow c:\windows\microsoft.net in the startup?

by Sgreen / December 15, 2005 1:52 AM PST

I finally gave in and allowed MS to install the following critical update as it's been bugging me to do so for what seems like a very long time. Security Update Microsoft.NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903). Since then, a popup box appears saying that MS wants to add c:\windows\microsoft.net to my startup group. So far, I've blocked it which seems to cause some things to slow down at closing. I have to "end task". Is it okay to allow this in the startup? If my downloading and installing this was a mistake, can I "undo" the mistake by using the Restore function to before I downloaded it?

I probably shouldn't have blindly installed this, but there seem to be many people (in computer magazines, computer columns in newspapers, people on various message boards, etc.) who advise downloading anything labeled a "critical update". Comments?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it okay to allow c:\windows\microsoft.net in the startup?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it okay to allow c:\windows\microsoft.net in the startup?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows "Critcal" Updates
by eddie11013 / December 15, 2005 2:32 AM PST
Collapse -
When you uninstalled them ...
by Sgreen / December 15, 2005 4:55 AM PST

through Add/Remove, did you have any problems? I have 2 in my Add/Remove also - Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 and Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903). I thought I had checked it to be hidden, but for some reason, it began popping up.

Thanks.

Collapse -
I did not have any problems, at all
by eddie11013 / December 15, 2005 6:17 AM PST

when I used the control panel/add & remove programs, however, as you might have noticed someone posted that their might be a problem. When you say that you hid them, I assume you meant in the options of the windows update website. I just clicked the 'restore' hidden optional updates and they were still listed there, in case I now wanted to install them. I have not received "any" popup's telling me to do an install on this ".net" issue.
Just an FYI
Eddie

Collapse -
I appreciate ...
by Sgreen / December 15, 2005 7:03 AM PST

your quick responses. Re the "hidden" comment, yes, I did mean the Windows Updates.

Thanks again for your comments.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!