TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is it ok to stack electronics in your tv stand?

by demize81 / July 27, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

I'm a little tight on space for my TV stand...Im putting my TV, VCR, DVD Player and original xbox in it. it is ok if i stack these peripherals on top of each other in the stand. It goes XBOX on top of VCR on top of DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it ok to stack electronics in your tv stand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it ok to stack electronics in your tv stand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you must, try to minimize the heat
by mojo_guzzi / July 27, 2009 6:07 AM PDT

If you have to stack your components there are two things to consider.
One is whether the weight will warp any of the moving systems, such as DVD trays or other moving parts which could get damaged if they're bent out of alignment.

More importantly is the heat factor. If I have to stack components I place wooden spacers between them to help create a little circulation. Otherwise you have the heat rising directly into the upper units and this will definitely dry out lubrication and rubber seals or bands prematurely.

If the items are in a constantly air-conditioned room it will help.
Professional video and audio suites with stacked equipment are often kept icy cold to protect the equipment.

Collapse -
Stacking
by WildClay / July 27, 2009 9:42 AM PDT

Mojo was on the money, heat is your biggest concern, if there is an open front and back, and at least a couple inches on each side, then 3 components should not be a big problem.

Some other tips, mine are stacked, Blu-Ray DVD Play, DVD Recorder, and Cable Box. While that order was not the best looking I stacked based on what generated the most heat.

My cable box, even in pseudo-off/standby always throws out a lot of heat for some reason, even my new HD one, so it is on top, next down is the DVD Recorder, it puts out the next most heat, and the Blu-Ray on the bottom that puts out almost no heat at all.

I rarely have all three on at once, it is usually just two things, the cable box and one or the other DVD machines.

You can get ultra-quiet PC style box fans and always put one behind your unit if it is getting hot in there.

As mojo noted, high heat can dry out belts and can shorten the life of everything if it is excessive.

Collapse -
stacking
by demize81 / July 27, 2009 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Stacking

it is in a well ventilated and cool area. front is open, and in back there is large oval hole and it is in my basement so the room temp stays cool.

my biggest concern is that the weight of the xbox and vcr don't crush the DVD player.

here are pictures of what it looks like
http://cid-67eebd70d68ef781.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/TV%20Stand?uc=2&nl=1&lc=1033

Collapse -
Couple of options
by WildClay / July 27, 2009 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: stacking

It is doubtful that your DVD is going to get crushed, but you can lift the upper 2 box and set them down gently and see if the cover or DVD unit bows in any way, if it does then it could be an issue.

If there are no vent holes / slots on the top of the DVD, then a 1/4 ply board placed on top will distribute the load to more or less the for corners of the DVD player.

If there are vent slots on the top of the DVD, then you will want to cut out a slot in the 1/4 ply to keep them unblocked, but the key is that the feet of the unit above land on the plywood and the wood goes to the four structural corners of the DVD player. On the front edge of the DVD is is likely to have 1/4 - 3/4 inch bezel for the front panel you want the ply to end just behind that, then run to the back corners.

The ply layer can be flush side to side with the sides, and lap over the back a little but should be flush also, the important part is not to have it on the front bezel of the DVD player, that is the weak point of the unit.

After that you should be in good shape. If you are really worried, you can us the same ply and use some of the cuttings from the ply to make legs so you have a little table the DVD sits under.

That said, if the legs of the unit above the DVD are hitting the side edges of the DVD, back corners or pretty close to them and not resting on the bezel in the front then chances are very good that you will not crush the DVD player.

Collapse -
ok i checked
by demize81 / July 28, 2009 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple of options

the vcr on top of the dvd player has a peg on each of the corners of the dvd player....only the middle seems like it can get crushed and the corners seems preety solid

Collapse -
It's pretty muchh already been said but....
by RustyDallas / July 28, 2009 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ok i checked

heat can do wild things. Awhile back my grandmother was getting constant macro blocking from her cable. Time Warner came out twice, added a signal booster and swapped out the HD cable box. Nothing worked and they were telling her they were going to have to drill into the side of her house to shorten the cable run from the road. When I was over there, I noticed that her undersized TV stand with glass doors on the front felt awfully warm when I opened the front. I took the glass doors off and it solved the problem. So, I guess what I'm saying is watch the performance of your components. They may tell you if there is too much heat.

Rusty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.