Computer Help forum

General discussion

is it ok to disable this service?

Can I disable Terminal Services if I am not using remote help/remote desktop?

I use Windoes Vista 32 bit home premium

I thought Vista did not have remote desktop? Isn't terminal services the same as remote desktop?

When I go MyComputer> Right Click>Properties>Remote Settings
the Box for "Allow Remote Assisnatnce" is NOT CHECKED

But when I run Netstat -ano I see that port 3389 is listening
Process-svchost.exe
when I checal what services are connected with this particular svchost.exe, I see the following services:

Cryptographic services
DNS client
network location awareness
KtmRm for distributed transaction coordination
telephony
and terminal services

Seems like at one point several years ago I allowed someone from microsoft to help me via remote assistance so could that have enabled or downloaded terminal services?

Anyway, I think Terminal Services is causing port 3389 to remain open and thus getting unsolicited connection attempts from various IP addresses.

I tried a little experiment and ended the Terminal Services and changed the start up status to manuel. When I ran netstat -ano again, It did not show port 3389 listening

However, when I restarted my computer Terminal Services was running again. So I ended it again but this time disabled the service. When I ran net stat -ano it showed terminal services not running. then when I restarted my computer, terminal services did no turn back on and port 3389 was not shown as listening

SO my question is, as a user of Vista who does not use remote desktop or remote desktop help,

1. CAN I Keep Terminal Services disabled?

2. Will it cause me any other functioning issues or any security issues if it remains in diabled status?

3. Will having it disabled cause me to not be able to get scheduled updates?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is it ok to disable this service?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is it ok to disable this service?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a quick reply

In reply to: is it ok to disable this service?

Collapse -
this service keeps port 3389 open

In reply to: Just a quick reply

and thus unsolicited IPs attempt to make connections.

Isn't Terminal Services only to do with remote desk top and remote help service?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.