Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Is it ok to delete programs for the program folder

by The ancient one / June 4, 2008 7:45 AM PDT

if the program does not exist in the Control Panel and/remove folder? I have a number of programs that I would like to get rid of that aren't in the Add/Remove program.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it ok to delete programs for the program folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it ok to delete programs for the program folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, Maybe...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

First, simply removing them from the Program Files folder doesn't uninstall them, so it's best to attempt a correct uninstall first..

If they don't show up in the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs, then check in the Programs menu to see if there is an uninstall link. Click on Start-All Programs-YourProgram (where "yourprogram" is the one you want to remove), then look to see if there is an uninstall link listed there. If there is, use that.

Next, check to see if there is an uninstall.exe file in the actual program folder you want to remove.. RIGHT click on Start, choose "Explore" from the little menu, then, looking on the left side of the screen, scroll down and click on the + sign next to "Program Files", then double click directly on the "YourProgram" folder to display all the files in that folder.. Look on the right side of the window and see if there is a file named, "uninstall.exe" or "Unwise.exe", or something similar.. You may be able to uninstall from there.

And if you still can't find and uninstaller, then YES, you can remove the entire "yourprogram" folder and it will no longer be on the computer.. The problem is, you may have a registry entry which still attempts to load the program.. If you get errors, you'll want to do registry search to eliminate such remnants from the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by The ancient one / June 4, 2008 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, Maybe...

There does not appear to be an uninstall on any of the programs. In some cases it may be the case that the program was removed via the control panel but did not get removed from the program folder. Spyware Doctor might be an example of that. Just did a check and found that most if not all of these programs (when "properties" was examined) showed no bytes, no files, no folders although there are sometimes empty but named folders)

I am using XP with SP2 and whatever updates that have come along.

Collapse -
Should Be OK, But Still...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

It might be worthwhile looking for any remaining registry entries, that is, if you're experienced enough to know how to it safely.. If only the directory folders remain in the "Program Files" directory, then the program was probably uninstalled correctly the first time.. There are quite a few such program that leave their own directory folder just in case you want to reinstall the program later.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Whoooa back!
by Grimbles / June 4, 2008 8:32 AM PDT

Deleting and uninstalling are two completely different processes - please do not delete anything just yet.....please indentify your Operating system and post that information together with the names of the programs you want to get rid of.
cheers......JIM

Collapse -
Here is list of programs
by The ancient one / June 4, 2008 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Whoooa back!

Also see my response to Grif

The OS is XP

Here is a list of the programs that are not on the Add/Remove Folder but are listed in Local Disk (C) subfolder Program files.

1. Alwil Software, 2. Arcsoft 3. Free Offers from Freeze, 4. FunwebProducts, 5. Hewlet-Packard, 6. Maxthon, 7. Norton Antivirus, 8. Ocucom, 9. Online Services, 10. Picaboo, 11. SEC, 12. Spyware Doctor, 13. TweakNow RegCleaner Std

Collapse -
Okay...go ahead and delete.
by Grimbles / June 4, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

Okay....now that you have stated the folders you want to get rid of are empty or near enough to empty you can certainly go ahead and delete them...should be no repercussions. Your suggestion that they are leftovers from programs that have already been uninstalled is most likely.
cheers....JIM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?