HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Is it OK?

by jtx472 / June 5, 2004 3:05 AM PDT

Is it OK to leave a computer on 24/7? I have one that I put on standby every night, but the other gets left on all the time. And if I'm supposed to reboot every once in a while, how often? And is there such a thing as auto-restart? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it OK?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it OK?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Is it OK?
by 1234paul / June 5, 2004 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it OK?

it dosen't really matter but i have never left it on forever, if you don't use it at night then turn it of it will be better in the long run. it is good to restart once in a while((if your a big gamer then once or twice a day, if not then maybe once every 2 days)if gets slower restart it more often) for it can get slow.

PS. remember your electricty bill!!!

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 4:16 AM PDT

jtx,

That's up to you and your needs for the computer.It also depends on the operating system that you're using. (Unfortunately, you didn't give us that information.) There are a number of opinions on this subject..."when" and "How often" to turn off a computer...but here's my idea on the subject.

Unless you're going to be using the computer at night, turn it off. Let it rest. It uses power/money/resources and will wear out various moving parts sooner, at least as they relate to your ability to use the machine. Heat is not good for computers and the longer they're "hot", the quicker they'll have problems. If you're using a Win 9.x or ME computer, they will need to be restarted occasionally, (usually once per day) in order to recover resources. If you're using an NT based computer (NT, 2000, or XP), they have the ability to run for long periods of time without restarting, if needed.

Our work machines can be "servers", which run constantly, or desktop work-stations, which are turned on in the morning and off at the end of the day. With my personal computers I turn them on when I'm using them and turn them off when I'm not. I don't use the power management features for "Standby" etc. because I leave the machine on those days that I'm home. If I'm going to leave the house for 3 or 4 hours, or more, I turn the machine off. If not, I just leave it running.

In addition, if you're going to be leaving a computer on 24/7, make sure you monitor it frequently. Although not common, electrical fires, shorts, or those types of things are possible.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Is it OK?
by jtx472 / June 5, 2004 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Is it OK?

Thank you.

Collapse -
by John100 / June 5, 2004 10:05 AM PDT

Forget standby. I used it for years. The best is HIBERNATE if you have it.

It makes your computer turn on and off like a TV. It's completely off after you hit the power button. When you turn it on, it comes right back WITHOUT booting up.
Why leave it on and waste electricity and wear out parts?

I can't believe I didn't use it sooner.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.