HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is it normal that this happened?

by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 12:22 AM PDT

I bought a Dell monitor that had a pretty good discount. They failed to send it to me, so I was wondering 'jeez, maybe I should call'.

Turns out they didn't want to ship it to me because of the discount, and that if I wanted the monitor I had to pay full price since I called after the weekend special.

Now when I receive Dell emails (which I opted out but it takes their systems 10 business days to do it) about discounted products I find they're attempting to scam people into buying at discounted price, only to tell them they need to pay for the full price.

Any thoughts on this ordeal? Because of this I'm tempted to not think about buying Dell in my future. It feels like I got baited into buying a product only for them to change the price at the last second hoping I'd buy it full price since I needed a monitor.

Thanks

p.s. not a rant, just wondering if it's normal. I never buy electronics online so maybe all companies do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it normal that this happened?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it normal that this happened?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They "didn't want to ship it because of the discount?"
by Josh K / November 1, 2010 1:02 AM PDT

That makes no sense at all. They offered something at a certain price and then just decided they didn't want to ship it?

There has to be more to the story than that.

Collapse -
Yea...
by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 2:22 AM PDT

They said they didn't ship it. The Indian lady said if I want my monitor I have to pay full price since it's post-discount period.

Collapse -
help me understand this...
by oldie and goody / November 1, 2010 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Yea...

you ordered this after the sale/discount was over? Then you pay full price. You can't expect to use a coupon after it expires, which is what I understand you want.

Collapse -
No.
by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 4:11 AM PDT

I ordered it during sale. Even the invoice said it was for after-discount. I got it during the discount. I called them a week later because they haven't send it to me (it was past the expected delivery date). She told me I now have to pay full price if I want it since it's not the weekend sale.

I ordered it during the sale, and the invoice had the price with $60 off.

Collapse -
Then sue them
by oldie and goody / November 1, 2010 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

that is fraud!!!!! Go to the highest Dell boss you can get too and I bet you wind up with a FREE monitor!! A few years back their was a big shake up over those refund deals, now they are getting business with discounts? LOL

Collapse -
I agree
by Josh K / November 1, 2010 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Then sue them

If you have written proof that you bought it during the sale, then go after them. It doesn't matter when you called to inquire about the status of your order. All that matters is when you placed the order. What that phone rep tried to do is against the law.

Collapse -
The reason they pull
by oldie and goody / November 1, 2010 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

this crap is too many people don't carry thru and go after them. I would never quit if I had to take out ads in the local papers and tell everyone what they are! And also take it to the top of the company!

Collapse -
I just realized we have a Dell staff person here in CNET
by oldie and goody / November 1, 2010 6:17 AM PDT

Go for it!

Collapse -
I do.
by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 6:20 AM PDT

The invoice also has this:

"Congratulations! You have qualified for savings with your Weekend Only Sale purchase! - $60.00"

$60 was deducted.

Weird thing is.. When I checked to see my order status, the order number they gave me was of a much older purchase (done in Feb of 2000...) so they told me I couldn't track it or make sure I'm giving them the right number..

No offense, their tech support is bad.

AT the moment I'm looking to see which email I'm supposed to send it to.

Collapse -
Frank go here...
by oldie and goody / November 1, 2010 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I do.
Collapse -
I just sent one to their customer service email..
by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Frank go here...

Maybe they'll reply. If not I'll do a follow up.

And thanks for the help Happy

I'm not pleased with their service so far Sad

Collapse -
send the idiots a link
by oldie and goody / November 1, 2010 7:00 AM PDT

to this discussion and let them see what we think of Dell!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Good way to lose customers.
by EdHannigan / November 1, 2010 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
If that's accurate
by James Denison / November 1, 2010 1:21 AM PDT

contact FTC and report a "bait and switch" on them.

Collapse -
Too much hassle
by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: If that's accurate

I don't want to waste more time because of Dell.

Collapse -
Did you actually miss the discount cut off?
by Steven Haninger / November 1, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

What you're describing sounds like what was common practice in many of the old New York City stores that also had mail order departments. Camera houses were notorious for running ads that, when you called, you could not get the advertised price without buying a bunch of other stuff that was over priced. I do presume you were dealing with Dell and not just some "authorized" dealer. That could be the difference in customer service. Other folks sell Dell as well.

Collapse -
I bought it from Dell.ca
by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 4:14 AM PDT

It was an online purchase. So it was through Dell. It's weird, though, that they pulled that on me.

Invoice/receipt was after they took off the $60 (proof that I got it on sale). They didn't honour it.

Collapse -
In that case they are clearly incorrect.
by MDFlax / November 1, 2010 6:15 AM PDT

Their fault, their problem. They have to honor the sale.

That's how it works in the UK and I suspect the US has similar regulations to cover this situation.

It's your choice if you decide not to proceed, but if you don't take it further, make sure they have not taken their payment from your credit card account. If they have done then they have accepted the transaction and the sale.

Mark

Collapse -
I made sure
by FrankQC / November 1, 2010 6:56 AM PDT

I made sure that they did not charge my credit card.

I still don't think it's fair that they did that.

I proceeded to emailing them.

Collapse -
Suggestions for Frank
by Bugbatter / November 4, 2010 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I made sure

I'm sorry to learn that you are having a problem with your order. You did not mention to whom you sent your recent email. Dell is a big company. Your issue has nothing to do with Dell Tech Support, so I'm not sure why you mentioned that.
Dell Liaisons are on Twitter, Facebook, and Dell Community so those are the best ways to contact them.

"I find they're attempting to scam people into buying at discounted price, only to tell them they need to pay for the full price."
I have not noticed that, and have been able to purchase items advertised as specials. I always mention the special when I order so it can be confirmed. There have been cases in which I was charged full price and that was followed by a credit to my card for the $ off that was advertised. Thus, there are different ways that sales specials are handled.

If you are sure the emails were actually coming from Dell, I suggest that you forward a copy of your invoice to Dell Customer Support and/or post at Dell Community.
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/new-to-community/f/3511.aspx

Collapse -
Heh.
by FrankQC / November 4, 2010 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Suggestions for Frank

I did, they can't do anything. A manager from Dell said I can buy from him, but yea.
Whatever, I'll just not buy anything from Dell in the future.

Collapse -
Not Normal Unless...
by Bugbatter / November 4, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Heh.

That does not sound quite right. Some details must be missing someplace either here or in your dealing with Dell.

Collapse -
Here's what I did wrong.
by FrankQC / November 4, 2010 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Normal Unless...

I went online. Made an account with Dell.

It was $60 off, so I clicked add to cart.
I used my credit card to buy. My shipment never came so I called.
In the invoice it says I qualified and it said it would charge me the discounted price. If you check the invoice everything is fine.

I call, they say I need to pay full price if I want it since now it's past the discount date.

It's sad. I didn't do anything wrong on my part. I did the same thing with NCIX and Canada Computers, none of this happened.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.