Computer Help forum

General discussion

Is it Nero, or my DVD burner?

by xristos4 / May 25, 2005 4:11 AM PDT

Hello everyone.
I have a NEC 1300ND dvd writer and for the past 2 months i cant seem to make it write dvds! I am using Nero 6.3.0.3 for software. Everything goes well until up to 17% (more or less) when it stops writing. The pc really slows down and does not respond, so i must reset it. The interesting part is, when i open the dvd later, everything is on! Also, when i use the windows CD recording utility on the drive instead Nero, it writes the CD just fine; but DVDs cannot be written like this.
I tried different DVD media but nothing; I fixed the ASPI, but again nothing.

Is Nero the problem here; does it have any compatibility problems? Or is the laser dead and i should buy a new DVD burner?
Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

PS: My OS is windows XP service pack 2, 512MB RAM, and i used the latest firmware from NEC.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it Nero, or my DVD burner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it Nero, or my DVD burner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
3 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 5:48 AM PDT

Remove the case cover to sniff out if it's heat related.

Reduce the record speed to at least 1/2 the rated speed of the media.

Try http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Bob

Collapse -
done that
by xristos4 / May 25, 2005 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: 3 things.

well, R. Profitt, i tried cdburnerxp and it stopped at 26% (well, at least it passed the 17% mark). And Oil_Tan, i have the latest nero.
i played a little with the settings of nero (joliet, iso1, book type etc) but it still stops responding at a point, and i have to reset the pc. i guess, the dvd laser is dead, isnt it?
thanks for the replies.

Collapse -
a little more
by Oil_Tan / May 25, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

light weight power supply can be the culprit
get neros latest, 6.0.0.13

Collapse -
Try Running Disk Clean up before next burn....
by billzhills / May 26, 2005 3:38 AM PDT

DVDs create large Temp files for buffering.
You may have reached the Temp File size limit.

Bill

Collapse -
nope...NEC 3540A vs Plextor PX-708A
by xristos4 / May 26, 2005 8:45 AM PDT

didnt help either bill, thanks anyway.
i ve decided to go ahead and buy a new burner. so i am between the NEC 3540A and the Plextor PX-708A. What would you guys suggest?

Collapse -
Go with Plextor
by littlegeneral / May 26, 2005 10:30 AM PDT

I currently have Plextor PX712 and its great. I have had no problems burning dvds. I would recommend that you don't run a lot of programs while burning a DVD and i would only have Nero up. I had one problem with burning a CD at 48X (which is my max) and i recieved a burn error from Nero. I was surfing the internet and downloading music at the sametime. Your problem could be your DVD's Buffer zone.

Collapse -
Low Harddrive space?
by Oil_Tan / May 26, 2005 11:09 AM PDT

Low free space?
Data source is slower then burner.

Collapse -
you think its because i have 2 drives?
by xristos4 / May 26, 2005 6:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Low Harddrive space?

well oil_tan, i do have two hard drives installed, and i save everything on my second one, not the system drive. but i didnt have any problem with that before...anyway its a good thought this one, so i will try putting the data i want to burn on my C drive before going to spend any money.

Collapse -
not because of 2 drives.
by xristos4 / May 26, 2005 11:46 PM PDT

i tried copying the data to my C drive and then burn the dvd, but again it crashed.

Collapse -
No crash details?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

There is so little to work with in your last post.

But what happens when you replace the (maybe) failing drive?

Bob

Collapse -
well...
by xristos4 / May 27, 2005 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No crash details?

i am not replacing the drive bob, i have two hard drives in my pc: C(40GB) is for windows and programmes and D(80GB) where i store everything. they are both internal.
The data i want to burn were on D. Then i saw the two previous answers and i thought well, i will copy the data on my C drive, do a CleanDisk and try again. Suprisingly, it burned upto 55% this time, but again stopped.
It is frustrating sometimes, isnt it?
Thank you all guys.

Collapse -
I was writing about the previous posting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2005 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

The crash details was absent. And this time you noted it stopped rather than crash.

I really am trying to dig out a clue.

Why not swap in a new drive and see if it cures it?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.