General discussion

is it my netbook or router?

every day i have to reset my router, so my netbook can connect. the router is an older dlink wbr-1310 and my netbook is an emachines em250 with windows 7 starter edition. i've updated the software for the router and still no luck. my son's xbox 360 is connected wirelessly to this router with no problems and after i reset the router my netbook connects fine all day long, but the next morning i have to reset the router again to connect my netbook. i also have two desktops connected to the router, but are wired not wireless. thanks in advance, sorry so long, but was trying to get everything in. davemonkee

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: is it my netbook or router?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: is it my netbook or router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just an idea.

Try the router defaults, then broadcast the SSID and use the WPA/WPA2 PSK security.

This is noted in the CNET Networking Forum but I've summarized it to one sentence for brevity.
Bob

- Collapse -
ip conflict possible

You might have an IP conflict between the machines. If an IP is being used by the Netbook and you take it away and then the Xbox 360 takes the same IP address you could have a conflict occur. Also if the Router is not powered by an un-interruptible power supply it may lose the plot if a brown out occurs over night. Try setting the IP address to a higher IP address and set it to manual on the laptop or change the Xbox IP address to something higher like xxx.xxx.xxx.20.
It could also be caused by a short lease from the router on the DHCP server in the router.

xxx means whatever the router has set it up as.

CNET Forums

Forum Info