Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is it me, or has Google been hit?

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 11:00 PM PST

Any time I try to use Google, I am getting listings where each entry has a "This site may harm your computer" entry. ImageShack image below;

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/3029/infectedgooglety8.jpg

Is it me? I had a false positive with MBAM yesterday, reporting beep.sys as a trojan, but that has now been confirmed as a false positive by MalwareBytes.

Other than that, my system scans clean, and no rootkits, (AVG, MBAM, Windows Defender, Spywareblaster, Sophos Anti-Rootkit), so I would say my system is clean.

This happens in Firefox and I have also tried it in IE7. Yahoo is fine. I don't use any Google/Yahoo toolbars or widgets, addons, etc. Just the web sites.

Has anyone else noticed, or should I be digging deeper into my system?

Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it me, or has Google been hit?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it me, or has Google been hit?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have
by tobymcgrail / January 30, 2009 11:04 PM PST

exactly the same problem.
I don't think it's a coincidence that we both have the same problem, it must be Google.

Collapse -
Same with me.
by Kees Bakker / January 30, 2009 11:08 PM PST

I assume it's google, not your (and mine) system. The green checkboxes are McAfee's Site Advisor, aren't they?

Kees

Collapse -
Yep. Green check boxes are McAfee, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: Same with me.

it seems Google has sorted it now.

I've just been Googling amd those messages have disappeared.

Thanks Kees. Glad to see it wasn't just me, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
BobP posted this elsewhere
by roddy32 / January 30, 2009 11:50 PM PST

and when I first clicked on the link he posted I was getting the same message. That was 30 minutes ago but I just tried the same link again and also some other searches and the message is no long there. I think maybe it was a Google problem that they have fixed already?

Collapse -
More on this from Javacool's blog. For
by roddy32 / January 31, 2009 12:19 AM PST

those that do not know him, he is the SpywareBlaster and other program's author.

"Google glitch - ?This site may harm your computer.?

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

Earlier today, Google experienced a rather significant glitch: All search results showed the ?This site may harm your computer.? warning.

Normally this warning does a decent job of highlighting common, major sources of malware (and other unwanted things). Google reasonably disables potentially harmful links, and redirects to an intermediary page that (a) provides more information, and (b) requires you to copy + paste the address if you want to continue. It?s not perfect, but it?s another decent layer. So normally: if you see this warning you should pay attention.

For quite some time this morning, though, Google search was basically broken. The warning mistakenly showed up for all sites - which disabled clicking through to search results, cached copies of the pages, and essentially all of the usefulness of the search.

Google has since fixed the problem, but a screenshot is provided above for posterity.

UPDATE: It seems there is a lot of confusion about this on the Internet. To clarify:

The glitch was not caused by an infection on your computer. The problem was on Google?s end, and affected (seemingly) everyone.

If you are still seeing search results pages with all of the links marked as potentially harmful, try clearing your browser?s cache and refreshing the page."

http://blog.javacoolsoftware.com/

Collapse -
Thanks Rod.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 7:14 PM PST

Human error it was then, and not some nasty virus or DDOS attack.

Mark

Collapse -
Yep and it gave us something
by roddy32 / January 31, 2009 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Rod.

to talk about for a while Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.