Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is it malware?....How do I rid my PC of it?

by mandyrchtr / November 10, 2005 3:17 PM PST

I have Windows 98SE and also IE6 (recently uninstalled and reinstalled) along with Google toolbar.

I have found 2 items in my startup programs (in Spybot S&D on my desktop also).

''Media Gateway.exe'' I found (created 2 nights ago) in 'find files and folders'- listed in Temp (will not remove after deleting temp files and cookies- twice) and System Files and also in Program Files.

''Qttask.exe'' seems to only be in startup and temp files....and will not go away either.

My dialup popup will not appear on the screen now and the only way to get on the net is to go into My Computer/dialup then download net.

Atomic Clock will not acknowledge the net is on ( when I pressed ping), a popup says no internet is connected although page is up and connected.

Something supposedly downloaded as the bottom toolbar(and drive was noisy) showed something downloading and then done( a picture was included)...BUT I was typing this thread at the time and page did not alter.

I have Zone Alarm v6.0 firewall,AVG v7.1.362 (which scans during bootup and scans emails),Spywareguard v2.2 + Spywareblaster v3.4 (always running in background),Spybot S&D v1.4,Ad-Aware SEPersonal v1.r6 (def. file SE1r74),ALL of which are updated regularly.

And I have not run AVG, Spybot or Ad-awareSE in the last couple of days...I just located these items and posted this straight away to get peoples opinions first-and advice on how to remove properly.

I have already written this once and lost it? do not know how...when I pressed submit...it disappeared.
So if this is repeated in the forum...I apologise.

Thanking you in advance for advice...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it malware?....How do I rid my PC of it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it malware?....How do I rid my PC of it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Qttask & MediaGateway
by SylentStar / November 10, 2005 4:35 PM PST

Qttask.exe produced by Apple, installs a tray bar icon which links to the Apple QuickTime video streaming tool. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for ease of use.

You don't need it. Do a backup copy, stop the program, delete it. Won't bother you again.

MediaGateway.exe is an advertising program by Windupdate. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups. This program is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Use Google and type in the search box: uninstall MediaGateway. You'll find a lot of useful informations and I think that you'll be able to remove it manually yourself.
An interesting link here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.mediapass.html

Good luck!
Happy

Collapse -
SylentStar...I think I am all clear...except.....
by mandyrchtr / November 11, 2005 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: Qttask & MediaGateway

the link you provided was useful but I did not go into the registry as the link suggests.

And followed up with AVG,Ad-aware and Spybot for a thorough cleanup in safe mode...other items were found.

My fault for surfing in areas I have not been in before!

I also think I may have allowed something when Zone Alarm alerted me I may have clicked allow instead of deny.

Ought to know to be more careful in future!!

Thank you kindly...
Mandy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?