Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is it just me or has Windows Media Player

by tcantrelln / December 13, 2006 11:42 AM PST

Gotten worse about not playing some mpg's that played fine a year ago? Now WMP10 insists on connecting to internet every time, and has begun to say "Codec download error" or other similar message, or just "File corrupted". Yet with other players (VLC, MPClassic, several dvd players it works fine and no amount of checking the codecs, repairing, etc will make it play the video again. I hear silly stories of WMP11 being worse.. Thanks for any tips, etc. Tried restoring to several weeks ago, no help. Maybe I'll just change all the default open with stuff away from WMP, hide the icons, say 'Adios, error message!'

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it just me or has Windows Media Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it just me or has Windows Media Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 11:46 AM PST

Microsoft invalidated a few CODECS so you need to find the decoder (CODEC) and install it again.

Bob

Collapse -
Hammer time! You hit it a hard one.
by tcantrelln / December 13, 2006 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: Not you.

Just because I'm C/Obsessive (a little or a lot depends on who you ask) I took another drive, inflated a five month ghost image then booted without letting any updates run, used firewall to stop all internet traffic, files played perfectly- telling me it was not my imagination. Ran M$ update, killed the video's. I think it's time for me to follow my own advice- hide / kill wmp10, don't bother with 11. I kind of enjoyed WMP 10 whithout the stupid Napster Icon in the upper right..

Collapse -
Personally
by jackson dougless / December 13, 2006 12:49 PM PST

I abandoned Windows Media Player YEARS ago. My current favorite is a little player called Media Player Classic, paired with the ffdshow codec pack. It's quite the versatile little player, packing an enormous number of features into a very small single file download.

VLC is a very close second IMO, but it just doesn't work quite as well under Windows in my experience. There are some bugs with the way the cross platform interface is made, which causes keybindings to behave strangely, as you may have noticed, among other things... The developers claim to be working on it, but it requires a massive overhaul of the entire program, so it's going to take some time.

I'd suggest just forgetting Windows Media Player even exists. No point trying to limp along with something when there are clearly superior, free even, choices out there.

Collapse -
I Second That...Kept WMP 8 but Don't Use. The MP Classic..
by tobeach / December 13, 2006 3:23 PM PST
In reply to: Personally

with the full K-lite codec package works fairly well for me.
I still have a little trouble getting it to retain last size & location when clicking sequential files and creating long play lists. Otherwise pretty good (for FREE).
The later WMP's have tracking ware buried so deep with-in that they can't be disabled by the likes of Spybot etc. Happy

Collapse -
Windows Media Player 11.1 best WMP Yet.
by BlueulB / December 13, 2006 10:52 PM PST

I have been using WMP 11.1 since I upgraded my computer from P4 to AMD Dual Core. I had 98se installed on the P4 and XP on the new computer so I skipped WMP 10 which from what I read was not up to scratch. WMP 11.1 is a different kettle of fiche and is the best that Microsoft has come out with. I loaded the new DivX and Xvid Codec now WMP 11.1 plays all files except Real Media. It will even play Jpegs. My advice is upgrade and find out for yourself. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.