1. Spyware Doctor
2. Mcafee Anti-Spyware
3. Webroot Spy Sweeper
4. Microsoft Anti-spyware
5. Trend Micro:Anti-spyware
6. Bellsouth Internet Security Suite

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it good to have all of this
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it good to have all of this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can somebody give me a Yes or a No answer.

In reply to: Is it good to have all of this

Collapse -
Please be patient when you

In reply to: (NT) Can somebody give me a Yes or a No answer.

ask a question. EVERYBODY in here, including the Mods are volunteers.

Collapse -
It's all a matter of choice

None of them are bad IMO but I would remove some of them but I would add others but that is just MY opinion. Out of those on your list I only use one of them but I use a bunch of others that are NOT on your list. Everybody in here has different choices but the ones that you have chosen are NOT rogue products. I tried the Trend Micro Online spyware scan and I will NOT use it again because there were a few false positives but that MAY change over time.

Collapse -
depends

all of that is moot if you do not exercise caution in your web browsing and downloading. what ever works for you may not for others, i don't use some of what you have and i choose other tid bits of software, but it really comes down to me, i am a very cautious browser, i use firefox about 90% of the time but still have IE as my default, I have a router (am using DSL). i choose not to use my isp's security bundles, but would rather use my own. I really do not like bundled software like AV with FW i choose to use one AV, a different FW and with my router, IESPYADS, host file, spywareblaster, spybot search and destroy (tea time enabled) and adaware i feel ok, but i also have MSAS,have ridded my system of spysweeper for screwing around to much and not producing a flaw yet in its software, i used to have a-squared but didn't feel the need for it anymore... so to answer your question, there really isn't one. some can say yes, and others say no, i, like roddy, agree, as long as what you have is not listed on SpywareWarriors site, should be ok. and by you coming here and wanting a quick rush answer to a question that is up in the air, well, exercising a little patience might be in order. people will be around when they come around, so be cool....no one purposely is ignoring your post(s) Wink

Collapse -
Im sorry,

In reply to: depends

Roddy what security tools do you use?

Collapse -
These are just MY personal

In reply to: Im sorry,

choice. These are my basic ones, although I have a lot of others that I'm testing. These are all free excpet for the NAV 2004 at the bottom.

Spybot S&D (download, check for updates, read the tutorial and scan often, it also does some blocking)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

SpywareBlaster (a blocker only, download it, check for updates, enable it and leave it alone except for checking for updates occasionally)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SpywareGuard (similiar to SpywareBlaster but works in a different way and does not update as often for that reason.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Ad-Aware SE (a scanner, download, check for updates, read the directions and scan.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

cwshredder (stand alone unit)(another small scanner for certain things, ALL other windows should be closed)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (a scanner and also has some realtime protection)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Besides these and the ones I am testing I use NAV2004 for viruses and the XPSP2 Windows Firewall BUT that only blocks incoming and not outgoing. It's not as good as Zone Alarm or some of the others that block both ways but I'm a very careful surfer. Like I said, these are MY personal choices, it does NOT mean they are any better or any worse than anybody else's choices.

Collapse -
Roddy32... The XPSP Firewall is only.......

In reply to: These are just MY personal

incoming?? I thought SP1's ICF was only incoming and SP2's was both ways necessitating confirming listings in the security center to allow AVG , Spybot, etc (exceptions) access to up date. I'll be glag to stand corrected if I'm wrong, I just don't want to continue giving erroneous information should that be the case. If only one way, why list. OR.. is that just a false security and that part of Security Center is just a convience for those choosing to use a 3rd party firewall?
Thanks for your thoughts! Happy

Collapse -
Yes Tobeach, Windows Firewall for

In reply to: Roddy32... The XPSP Firewall is only.......

XPSP2 ONLY blocks incoming. Here is a quote off the Miccosoft introduction page for Windows Firewall.
This provides a line of defense against someone who might try to access your computer from outside the Windows Firewall without your permission.
end quote
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

If you open the Windows Firewall from the control panel on the General Tab where you either turn it on or off it says this also.
This setting blocks all outside sources from connecting to this computer with the exception of those selected on the exceptions tab.
end quote

Collapse -
Thankyou, Roddy. I needed that reality update! I suspect...

In reply to: Yes Tobeach, Windows Firewall for

I may have gotten confused because I got the SP2 disk and when I now check the package I note there is a 2nd disk enclosed with a Computer Associates Firewall on it (2 way I should think). Thanks again. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Tobeach. :D

In reply to: Thankyou, Roddy. I needed that reality update! I suspect...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is it good to have all that security software.?..?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.