Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is it an upgrade or full install?

by bigtallpaul / December 14, 2008 10:12 AM PST

I just got a new pc with vista on it and I already want vista gone. I have xp pro on all of my other computers and that is the way I like it. I cloned the c: drive from one of my computers (xp) and I want to install it in place of the vista drive. When I boot the pc up xp will of course realize that there were major hardware changes. I know that I will have to buy a license key from MS but the question is will I need a full install key or will an upgrade key work (and be legal)? Just to be clear here, I am NOT trying to pirate software, I just don't want to buy the upgrade only to find out it won't work and then have to buy the full install anyway.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it an upgrade or full install?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it an upgrade or full install?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Full
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2008 10:57 AM PST

It's a full retail license you would need, and if you don't have a retail copy of XP, you can't simply buy a new license from Microsoft and expect it to work.

More than that though, you should make sure there are actually XP drivers for your hardware. You might well be stuck with Vista like it or not, unless you're willing to give Linux a try.

Collapse -
more than 1
by CascaLonginus / December 14, 2008 12:49 PM PST

If your copies, or copy of xp is a retail version you are allowed to put it on up to I think 5 (maybe more) different computers.
If its oem, then you have to buy another copy (full)
ebay is a good place to find the cheapest used oem, you will have to call Microsoft to activate a used copy but it will be no problem...hope that helps

Collapse -
Sorry no
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2008 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: more than 1

Sorry no, that's incorrect. Retail copies can still only be installed on a single computer at a time, but the license CAN be transferred to another system. OEM licenses are NON-TRANSFERRABLE, or put another way, are LOCKED to the system you first activate it on.

I think you are confusing the number of automated activations you are allowed before having to call in for an activation code. That does NOT mean you are allowed to install multiple concurrent copies on different systems. It states very clearly in the EULA that you are allowed ONE copy on a SINGLE system.

Collapse -
To Late Now For You But 4 Others...
by tobeach / December 14, 2008 2:29 PM PST

Staples/Business Depot was offering (only one I've seen) various HP Laptops w/ Vista Business included. Also included was a HP "XP downgrade
Disk" which I believe contained drivers for the newer HP Vista hardware
so that the downgrade to XP(s) could be accomplished properly. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?