Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is it a stroke?

by Mary Kay / March 11, 2004 9:19 PM PST

This was published in a monthly newsletter where a friend of mine lives and he sent it on. I had never heard this advice before and hadn't a clue.

Perhaps you hadn't either and would like to file it away in the back of your head.

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say any bystander can recognize a stroke asking three simple questions:

* ask the individual to smile.
* ask him or her to raise both arms.
* ask the person to speak a simple sentence.

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. After discovering that a group of nonmedical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage."

PASS IT ON...............
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it a stroke?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it a stroke?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just an observation ...
by Mosonnow / March 11, 2004 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Is it a stroke?

that if there is this level of concern, shouldn't one dial 9-1-1 first, and ask the questions later (ready for when the ambulance crew arrives.)

I don't know anything about these things, except that for heart attacks, for example, time really is of the essence.

Just a thought.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Mo, just cause someone acts a little strangely is no reason to call 911. If ..
by Rosalie / March 11, 2004 10:22 PM PST

that were true my family would be calling 911 for me every day! Happy

Kidding aside, Mo, until you ask these questions you don't have anything to go on unless there are mojor symptoms. For instance if someone were all of a sudden walking oddly it wouldn't mean they were having a stroke but asking those questions may varify that they are.

Collapse -
Thanks Rosalie, I guess it is different here ....

First of all, I doubt any of us would recognise the symptoms and I thank Mary Kay and Angeline for these and hope these will sink into our memories.

Then, because our NHS is free (well not really, paid by tax etc), the first instinct is to pick up the phone. How quickly the medics arrive depends on where you are and of course how many other calls they are dealing with. And because it is free, many people abuse the system by calling in with problems which really are not emergency situations - they are trying somehow to resolve this.

My point really is that you need to take emergency action according to the time it will take to get that action. Again, it is probably different here, because the subsequent action will also be free (and usually quick for emergencies, though not quite so for other treatments).

As for behaving strangely, we all have our problems... They promised faithfully that they would replenish the padding in my cell last week. Must put another note under the door.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Your's is padded?! My last one wasn't. :-( -nt
by Rosalie / March 12, 2004 4:31 AM PST

Collapse -
Some other signs
by Angeline Booher / March 11, 2004 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: Is it a stroke?

Some other signs:

Complains of double vision.

Complaints of sudden blurred vision

Droopiness on one side of the face

Numbness on on side of the face/body

Numbness of lips

Slight slurring or lisping when speaking

Trouble with balance (common in "mini strokes")

Changes involving other senses.

(One can also ask the person to squeeze their hands, and weakness on one side or the other can be felt. While doing that, one can onserve how the person is following with their eyes.)

The bottom line - any change merits immediate action. One sign noted is enough to call. While awaiting the EMT, there is time to check them out further.

lways best to err on the side of caution.

Some folks refuse to go to the hospital. It is up to the caregiver to insist upon it, as hard as that may be.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: Thanks Angeline for the sdded info... nt
by Mary Kay / March 11, 2004 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Some other signs

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?