Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is Gaterade better than water?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Gaterade better than water?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Gaterade better than water?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Better for what?

In reply to: Is Gaterade better than water?

When I'm riding I need to drink a lot of fluids. It's easier to do that if I drink Gatorade because it tastes better than plain water. My impression (not quantified) is that it also improves endurance but whether that is because I'm getting more of the fluids I need or because the extra carbohydrate consumption delays depletion of muscle glycogen or because the electrolytes improve muscle performance I don't know.

I have noted, however, that if I use full strength gatorade I consume almost as many calories as I burn. That partly defeats the purpose of doing the exercise.

Personally I usually use my own mix. I got the original recipe from the web, but for the last year or so I have usually mixed it less than full strength.

Collapse -
I hadn't thought about the calorie count.

In reply to: Better for what?

I just use it to stay alive when working. (See other post.)
I feel my benefit is from the electrolytes. I get the shakes and other bad symptoms if I overdo things, but 16 oz of juice perks me right up.

Collapse -
You need to be aware of the calorie content ...

In reply to: I hadn't thought about the calorie count.

Our bodies regulate calorie consumption from solid food, at least to a point, but those regulatory mechanisms don't recognize calories that come from beverages. I exaggerated a LITTLE when I said that the gatorade consumption matched my calorie expenditure, but Gatorade is NOT a low calorie beverage. I was shocked when I read the nutrition information.
For an 8 ounce serving of Gatorade:
50 calories, 110 mg sodium, 30 mg potassium
For an 8 ounce serving of Coca Cola (who drinks just 8 oz of Coke?):
97 calories, 33 mg sodium, no potassium

So in other words Gatorade has half the calories of Coke. So far, so good. Unfortunately, I was drinking as much as 2-3 quarts over the course of a 2-4 hour bike ride so I was getting several hundred calories just from the Gatorade, plus whatever snacks I ate along the way. I couldn't figure out why I was exercising so much and actually GAINING weight. It's not that I was particularly worried about the weight (150-153#, ~5'9") but I knew it didn't make sense. After I started reading the nutrition information more carefully it DID make sense.

Collapse -
Canned vs Fountain drinks

In reply to: You need to be aware of the calorie content ...

I made a curious discovery when I looked up the Coco Cola information. I've always known that canned Coke tasted different from fountain Coke. The recipe is apparently different. The fountain version has a lot less sodium. Who knows what other differences there might be?

Collapse -
Bill, try Propel "fitness water" which is...

made by the same people who make GatorAid but only has 20 calories is a 16 oz. bottle.

The "Fitness Water" version has no caffein while their "Invigorating Water" version has 20 mg per 8 oz. and also ups the calories count to 20 per 8 oz.

From years of experience in some unpleasantly warm places, a quart of plain stream (ditch, river, rice paddy, etc.) water with a halizone tablet and half a packet of cool-aid serves better for hydration than plain water.

Collapse -
Thanks, but ...

In reply to: Bill, try Propel "fitness water" which is...

I'll probably stick with my "home made" half strength Gatorade when I'm riding. I sweat a LOT, especially during the summer (to the point of having salt dry on exposed skin) so I suspect that the sodium and potassium are helpful.

Collapse -
(NT) Have you tried G2?

In reply to: Thanks, but ...

Collapse -
Not yet ...

In reply to: Have you tried G2?

I've been mixing my own, which is much cheaper, but next time I do buy the powder I may look at their other products.

Collapse -
... and I drink the whole 32 oz in

just a few minutes. Happy
Anyway, it works for my situation. I do other things besides landscaping for fitness.

My six-pack is coming along; so far I'm five short. Happy

Collapse -
Subjective opinion:

I sweat lots when working; I feel I couldn't do the ordinary jobs of home ownership w/o it. (Heat stroke.) I also use Powerade if it's cheaper; seems the same. There's a Hispanic version called Super Socco (as in soccer); haven't tried it.

BTW I can drink the 32-oz size in a couple of minutes when I'm working.

Collapse -
I shower...

In reply to: Subjective opinion:

When I use to run to keep in shape and temper the body at 29 Palms. Ca., in the hot sun I took an immediate shower. There was also a shower outside just for that purpose to cool jarheads down if it got too much, to rescue them. There were defintly better days than others but you got use to it. Gatorade wasn't invented yet, so I wonder what we did, drink cold pop or water, water did quite well, thank you. Of course, if it got too much, we *had to take* salt tablets as well. Then when it was too hot, just lay around on "black flag" days. Yeah, we hurt, but having to squelch the heat with water did OK, Drink and shower was a blessing. If no shower, just splash the face and drink. Of course, we put "Kool Aid" in the lister bag and if we had ice, cooled it as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) No.

Collapse -
My wife was recently sticking to water rather than other

fluids. After a few days of hot weather, she was diagnosed with dehydration. The doctor prescribed Gatorade.

Collapse -
not sure, but ....a true story

this July (one of our hottest months) a friend of ours, a woman in her late 70s early 80s, drank so much water she flushed all the 'good stuff' out of her body to the extent that her mental state was affected so badly that she was diagnosed as possibly suffering from Alzheimers

i mean, she was out of the game completely, didn't recognise anybody!

her daughter said that if she had drunk something sweet, she would have drunk less and also 'benefited' from the sugar/glucose....

jonah "prefers a cold beer" jones

Collapse -
Sounds like water intoxication ...

In reply to: not sure, but ....a true story

Most of us are not capable of drinking enough water to do that, but sometimes in the elderly or in the mentally ill (yes, they ARE different categories no matter what my teenager says) the usual control mechanisms break down.

Athletes in very hot environments can also accidentally drink enough water to depress their blood sodium, which is one reason that Gatorade and related drinks are SOMETIMES superior to water for hydration during exercise.

Collapse -
Try BRAWNDO.

Collapse -
(NT) It's Got Electrolytes !

In reply to: Try BRAWNDO.

Collapse -
Pro football teams pay their players

...... millions of dollars.

So they have quite an interest in protecting their investments.

Its Gatorade, not water, that the players dump on the coach after a big win.

The same for college teams.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!