TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is extended warranty for LCD TV worthwhile ?

by Bandung157 / June 23, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

I have just purchased a 46" Samsung LN46B750 and a 52" Samsung LN52B750
The question is whether to spend an additional $249 for an extended
5 year warranty for each set (total $498).
I purchased both sets with the Am. Exp. Card so I will have 1 yr. from
Samsung and 1 year from Am. Exp. (2yr. total coverage).

Therefore, the 5 yr. extended warranty will give me 3 additional yrs.
The 52" tv will probably be on 12 hours a day.
The 46" tv will probably be on 4-5 hours a day.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is extended warranty for LCD TV worthwhile ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is extended warranty for LCD TV worthwhile ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just an observation....
by Willy / June 23, 2009 2:00 PM PDT

IMHO, I believe the ext. warranty are a racket that's pure profit for the vendors. It has been mentioned often enough by consumer groups, that ext. warranties maybe more for a "feel good" item for the customer. Electronics are build well enough they don't have that many problems because the makers really feel the pinch if they can't sell product as the word gets around. However, in my local personal experience many a buyer has brought the ext. warranties mainly because of the huge cost items and a little more for an ext. warranty doesn't seem bad. However, it always good to read the "FINE PRINT" and see just how the warranty works, factory and ext. warranty can be a real different experience. Plus, save those important papers in a safe place plus the box the LCD came in. If you like check out consumer reports on the products you plan to buy and review written feedback and anything else.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Ext. Warranty
by Bandung157 / June 23, 2009 3:00 PM PDT

Thanks for the feedback.

Collapse -
Call your
by samkh / June 23, 2009 2:26 PM PDT

local Samsung authorized repair shop and ask them how much it would cost you if you had to replace the screens out-of-warranty. I know, it won't make your decision any easier but at least you will know the risk magnitude.

Collapse -
Extended warrantys = huge profits
by rje49 / June 26, 2009 12:13 PM PDT

It's been many years since it occurred, but for giant retailer Sears, the difference between their annual profit and potential loss was the huge profit made on extended warranties. So, if big corporations profit so much on these, what does that tell you? When I buy an expensive appliance, and the salesman is pleading for me to buy an extended warranty, I say "If I thought it was needed, I wouldn't buy this brand!" I've NEVER bought one and I've NEVER regretted it. True, it's a bit of a gamble, but I like the odds.

Collapse -
Extended Warranties Good or Bad?
by JCipo / June 26, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

Extended warranties are ripoffs until you find out that your expensive device now doesn't work and it will cost you as much or even more to repair it. If you can get 2 years protection then you have enough there. In electronics, any item more then 2 years old is considered outdatted. And if it is replaced 2 years later, then you'll usually get the item which is now half the price you paid them for the item.

Collapse -
Only if it gives you your money back.
by Fredmoore / June 27, 2009 12:52 AM PDT

1. Many credit cards double the manufacturer's warranty.
2. Get it for something so unreliable you expect it to fail within the warranty, like Harbor Freight power tools.
3. Consider an extended warranty if it gives you back your purchase price to use on something else, such as those from Best Buy, Office Max, or Staples. I've been replacing my cordless phone system every 2 years for free this way.
--Keep all your paperwork, note the expiration dates on a calendar.

Collapse -
black tv
by glenwr / July 1, 2009 12:03 AM PDT

At least the screen. Samsung LNR408D bought new at Sears. Did not by ex-warrnty. Now no pitcher or sound. Used less then one Yr. No help at sears getting parts or repair,was told should have bought ex-wa. cost to much to fix 3yrs old.

Collapse -
used less than one year=under warranty?
by Pepe7 / July 2, 2009 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: black tv

I don't follow you completely. It can help to write in complete sentences for clarification purposes sometimes ;).

Sorry to hear of your troubles though. stYou only used in for less than one year? It should have still been under manufacturers warranty, unless it was some sort of strange floor demo arrangement @ Sears. Did you contact Samsung? Maybe someone @ AVS forum can assist with a repair outside of normal channels.

-Pedro

Collapse -
3yrs old.
by glenwr / July 2, 2009 11:56 AM PDT

Thanks pedro but the reason it was only used less then a year was we did not live in that house but about 6 months out of each yr. I was hoping to find the right boards at a fair price. Sears has them but wont sell except to there repair man. thank you. glenw

Collapse -
Do it!!
by fynnmccool / September 27, 2011 10:37 AM PDT

I bought a 40" Samsung LCD 3 1/2" years ago. It just went. Literally just. Its too late to get it serviced, but I have some peace of mind that my $300 is not going to be a total waste!

Collapse -
Please report on the warranty
by Dan Filice / September 28, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Do it!!

Please let everyone know how your warranty goes. I read horror stories often when people try to get their warranty activated. Just once I'd like to read about someone getting equal value and exchange for their dead TV.

Collapse -
I have
by dt552002 / April 20, 2012 6:22 AM PDT

if you read early in the last conversion, I have worked for almost every company that sells tvs. I personally have exchange hundreds of items that people have protection plans for, with that being said have had 14 things exchanged of my own this include 2 tvs, 3 head units for car audio, 2 recievers, 1 blu-ray player, 2 computers, 3 subwoofers, and a dewalt hammer-drill. I don't buy the cheap items except for the tv and computers. I am say that just in the recievers that i have had replaced i have paid for all of the protection plans at least once is that bad no not in my oppion. Now with that being said have a had more of them no pay off don't get me wrong. All of the plans that have paid off have more than paid for all plans that I have spent good money on. In total I have spent a good 3 to 4 thousand dollars on protection plans and in retail product I have got back about 5.5 to 6 thousand in product so is it worth it, in my opinnion yes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?