Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is Ebola a Racist Disease?

by James Denison / October 20, 2014 1:47 AM PDT
Farakhan believes it is.

"Firebrand Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan's latest
racially-charged claim is that Ebola - the deadly disease ravaging parts
of Africa and now diagnosed on American soil - was designed by white
scientists specifically to kill off blacks.

The 81-year-old leveled the charge in his organization's newspaper, The Final Call,
insisting the disease is man-made and cooked up in a laboratory as a
means of population control. He underscored the claim on his Twitter
page, which has 308,000 followers.""

"There is a weapon that can be put in a room where there are black
and white people, and it will kill only the black and spare the white,
because it is a genotype weapon that is designed for your genes, for
your race, for your kind," Farrakhan wrote."

Could his observation be correct, even if not a deliberately created situation? I also have noticed that whites tend to surivive Ebola, while blacks are dropping from it in high mortality rates.

Did the CDC really say this?!

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=31754

"In an excerpt from the statement, the government agency stated, "Early
tests of an experimental drug, which would effectively combat the spread
of Ebola, have proved successful only in those with white skin — We are
working diligently to improve the sample to be able to help all those
who are in need."

The vaccine, which was developed by ThomasSmithCharles in conjunction
with the BIP, has began a trial phase. The vaccine uses a strain of a
West Nile monkey cold virus called ape multivirus type 5 to deliver
benign genetic material of the West African strain of Ebola. The genetic
material given to the patient is not able to replicate and poses
virtually no health risk. The sample instead strengthens the immune
system to fight off the virus. If successful, ape multivirus type 5
could stop the spread of Ebola.

According to the CDC, the trial was doled out 200 people, but only
proved effective to those with white skin. Some scientists believe high
levels of melanin may somehow be affecting the sample.

Here is Jesse Jackson writing in Huffington Post;

"When Thomas Eric Duncan first became sick and went to the hospital, he was treated with antibiotics and sent home.
Duncan did not receive screening tests for Ebola on this first visit.
The question is, why did they not keep him in the hospital for further
screening and treatment? Accounts differ, but apparently Duncan did tell
the hospital staff that he had travelled from Africa. While the
hospital staff reports he did not say he had come from Liberia, should
not the combination of his symptoms and his travel from Africa raised
further questions?
Duncan has a foreign accent, black skin, and no health insurance.
From a theological perspective, Thomas Eric Duncan is one of our
brothers described by Jesus as the "least of these." What role did his lack of privilege play in the treatment he received? He is being treated as a criminal rather than as a patient. [...]
As followers of Jesus, we are called to work for the day when those with privilege, most often white people, have greater access to better medical care
than those whom Jesus calls "the least of our sisters and brothers." As
we treat our brothers and sisters, Jesus reminds us, we treat him. We
are called to work for the day when everyone receives equal access to
medical care. We need to save Thomas Eric Duncan.

====================

I can understand how it might look this way to blacks, but one of the medical facts that is often overlooked or even hidden away at times is there are some diseases that affect one race worse than another. Remember smallpox effects on native American populations? There were other European diseases which white people had resistance to, but wiped out native Americans. What's odd here is there seems to be this disease which black people should have developed a higher resistance to over the centuries of exposure, but for some odd reason instead it seems to affect them worse than it does whites.

What about West Nile Virus? It seems to have a worse effect on the Egyptians than it has affected citizens here, even though it's widespread now in bird populations. The question then is....why?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Ebola a Racist Disease?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Ebola a Racist Disease?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well,
by itsdigger / October 20, 2014 2:28 AM PDT

Sickle Cell Anemia , Jewish get that too though. I think the blacks in Africa are related to the Jews.

Digger

Collapse -
those are genetic diseases
by James Denison / October 20, 2014 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Well,

I'm looking more at infectious types.

Collapse -
He almost certainly thinks HIV was concocted by the CIA
by Rob_Boyter / October 20, 2014 8:53 AM PDT

to attack Africans. I assume he thinks the same of Ebola.

Rob

Collapse -
This is a refreshing take on it all
by James Denison / October 22, 2014 12:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
That is like saying that HIV or malaria or TB or
by Diana Forum moderator / October 20, 2014 4:49 AM PDT

syphilis was invented by whites to get rid of blacks. Most people have died of each of these and hunger than have died of Ebola.

Diana

Collapse -
Have you noticed
by James Denison / October 23, 2014 1:40 AM PDT

that both the Asian and Black nurse who contracted Ebola virus from Duncan in Dallas are both recovering? So far that's 100% recovery for Americans who have been infected. So, maybe the reason blacks in Africa are dying in such high numbers is based both on lack of similar care and perhaps on diet. I've read they eat fruit bats which sometimes have this Ebola virus. That would be similar in US to eating raccoons which happen to be rabid. Maybe it's more about what you eat and how often you eat it in Africa in opposition to the usual America diet which wouldn't have such "delicacies" included. In fact, Amber Vinson's recovery, even though she is also black, has been remarkably good. Last I read she seems free of Ebola virus.

That just makes Farakhan and Jesse look that much more foolish claiming Ebola is a race based disease.

Collapse -
You cannot get rabies from eating a rabid animal
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you noticed

as long as it's cooked thoroughly. Heat kills the rabies virus.

You can get it if you don't protect yourself when preparing a rabid animal.

Diana

Collapse -
Ebola is turning into a political disease.....
by JP Bill / October 20, 2014 6:42 AM PDT

The Republicans are using it to torment the Democrats.

Republicans would rather "over react". Just heard a Republican talking head make that statement on Cavuto.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

Will the incubation period be over before the election?

NO new cases in America before the election?...the Republicans will be eating crow? Do elephants eat crow?

Collapse -
I guess you haven't seen the Dem ad
by TONI H / October 22, 2014 8:24 PM PDT

blaming Republicans for ebola regarding the cuts in spending (sequester, even tho that was an idea from the Dem Pres), even though the CDC and NHI received increases in their budgets.

Collapse -
No I didn't, could you provide a link? Thanks.
by JP Bill / October 22, 2014 9:41 PM PDT

The Democrats blamed the Republicans for Ebola?...

The Republicans caused/created/spread Ebola? That's quite a claim.

I did see this claim Republican's Blame Ebola on Obama

I guess everyone is staking a claim.

Collapse -
Cuts in Gov spending? Part of Tea Party platform?
by JP Bill / October 22, 2014 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: here ya go

From my link above

The names of the more than two dozen Republicans who poleaxed the CDC budget have been published. And to no surprise the bulk of them are either directly affiliated with or have been in part bankrolled by tea party factions

Collapse -
The CDC and NHI budgets
by TONI H / October 22, 2014 10:23 PM PDT

were cut as part of sequestration (a Dem idea, remember).........however, the part of the budget that concerns infectious diseases was actually INCREASED.

Cuts in government spending has always been a Conservative platform....not just a Tea Party one. The Tea Party just made it far more public than it's been since Newt Gingrich's "Contract With America" pledge (that worked, btw).

Collapse -
RE: cut as part of sequestration (a Dem idea, remember).
by JP Bill / October 22, 2014 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Whether they agreed
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 2:06 AM PDT

or not has no direct impact on the fact that this Dem President is the one who said it would happen if the committee HE assigned to come up with a budget didn't work.

And, as usual, you have no comment over the fact that the CDC and NHI budget amounts for infectious diseases went UP, IN SPITE of the the sequestration cuts to the rest of their agencies.

I prove you wrong, and you deflect and redirect.......nice try though.

Collapse -
Let us review...
by JP Bill / October 23, 2014 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Whether they agreed

3 posts by you in the last few hours....

1 post(10/23/14 3:24 AM) they RECEIVED INCREASES

Next post, (10/23/14 5:23) they WERE CUT

Next post budget amounts for infectious diseases WENT UP

10/23/14 3:24 AM even though the CDC and NHI received increases in their budgets.

10/23/14 5:23 AM The CDC and NHI budgets were cut as part of sequestration(a Dem idea, remember).

In your next post in the same thread (the post which I am responding to), you claim

10/23/14 9:06 AM over the fact that the CDC and NHI budget amounts for infectious diseases went UP,

They , received increases...they, were cut....they, went up.

Which ONE do you want me to answer to?

Collapse -
I'll answer the most obvious that you
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Let us review...

DIDN'T ask..........

The budgets for both departments/agencies were cut with sequestration; however, the heads of those departments not only had their own departments for infectious diseases NOT cut, but got INCREASES........basically by either taking money from other departments within their agencies or by direct money that offset the other cuts.

Do you finally GET it or is still over your head?

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / October 23, 2014 6:07 AM PDT

Well I'm sorry if you're offended that the Dems are meanmouthing the Reps about CDC and Ebola.

If/When the Tea Party gets in power...I hope they get a thicker skin.

MOMMY!!!!!They're pointing at me!!!!!!

Collapse -
As usual....
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

when you have nothing to say, you say nothing but include the Tea Party into the nothingness.....because you can't dispute my information.....bye

Collapse -
RE; you can't dispute my information..
by JP Bill / October 23, 2014 7:15 AM PDT

I tried to get me to tell me which information you wanted me to dispute

3 posts by you in the last few hours....

1 post(10/23/14 3:24 AM) they RECEIVED INCREASES

Next post, (10/23/14 5:23) they WERE CUT

Next post budget amounts for infectious diseases WENT UP

10/23/14 3:24 AM even though the CDC and NHI received increases in their budgets.

10/23/14 5:23 AM The CDC and NHI budgets were cut as part of sequestration(a Dem idea, remember).

In your next post in the same thread (the post which I am responding to), you claim

10/23/14 9:06 AM over the fact that the CDC and NHI budget amounts for infectious diseases went UP,

They , received increases...they, were cut....they, went up.

Which ONE do you want me to answer to?

You went off on a tangent....and here we are.

Collapse -
Pick one, just one
by James Denison / October 23, 2014 8:06 AM PDT

is that too hard?

Collapse -
JP...I've answered you repeatedly
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 8:22 AM PDT

It's not my fault if you can't comprehend the answer given. Actually, you don't have to respond to anything.......

Collapse -
RE: Pick one, just one
by JP Bill / October 23, 2014 1:02 PM PDT

IF you're talking to me.....I would...but it wouldn't be the right one.

IF you're talking to Toni...good luck

Collapse -
RE: Whether they agreed or not
by JP Bill / October 23, 2014 4:16 AM PDT

is that your way of saying

Yes, but?

Collapse -
(NT) Do you have any links on this?
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 4:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's one...with Four Pinnoccios from the Post
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 5:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
It wasn't only us...
by JP Bill / October 23, 2014 6:24 AM PDT

THEY did it also...but THEY were wrong and WE were right?

Hypocrisy?

Four Pinocchios..2 for each side?

Collapse -
According to your own link
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 6:54 AM PDT
In the specific case of the NIH branch that deals with infectious diseases, funding jumped from $1.8 billion in 2000 to $4.3 billion in 2004 — but funding has been flat since then. Funding in 2014 was again $4.3 billion. So that's effectively a cut over time.

Diana
Collapse -
Whatever you believe, Diana.....
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 7:22 AM PDT

the facts are that although agencies were cut due to sequestration, infectious disease departments got their increases....in most cases, more than BO even requested.

From that same link: As for the CDC, you will see (page 46) a similar pattern. The numbers have bounced around $6.5 billion in recent years. (CDC receives both an appropriation from Congress and, since 2010, hundreds of millions of dollars from the Prevention and Public Health Fund established by the Affordable Care Act.) Before 2008, the agency received less than $6 billion a year. In fiscal year 2013, the White House proposed a cut in CDC's funding, but Congress added about $700 million. In 2014, the administration again proposed reducing the budget, but Congress boosted it to $6.9 billion,

(Note, as this Congressional Research Service report documents, CDC also is funded by nearly $4 billion in mandatory fees.

Obamacare is ALSO funding it, even with the WH proposing cuts, Congress added to it in 2013 and then boosted it in 2014, even with the WH again proposing reducing their budget.

So the Republicans have NOT been to blame for Ebola, has it? They haven't cut anything and instead have FUNDED it in SPITE of a WH that didn't want it funded to that extent.

Collapse -
As the address form used by his followers says, "The
by Rob_Boyter / October 20, 2014 8:52 AM PDT

Honourable Louis Farrakhan" is about as reliable a source as Rush Limpbough or Bill O'Reilly or Andrew Breitb*+art or any of the Looney Right out there. He doesn't care about truth or accuracy, he cares about stirring up hatred and sucking the credulous into his nefarious web. Now, I have to say, Islam has been very good for drug addicted inmates of correctional facilities, helping them to stay clean on the outside, and giving them hope on the inside.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.