HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

is DSL or Browser Problem?

by ashrafkadry / February 23, 2004 7:31 PM PST

HI

I recently have installed 256kbps DSL connection in my home, and I was more than happy with it. The DSL connection uses a USB DSL Modem ( the "Speed Touch" 330 USB by Thomson).

Now I have this weird problem, when I dowload programs from any website using IE 6.6 the download speed is a meager 19kbps or even slower than that, but when I use a download manager like Getright the download speed goes to whoopin speed of 29 kbps.

I know that download managers are supposed to use a number of different methods to speed up any download, whether its mirror file site...etc.

Now, I have a question about the IE 6.6. How can I repair it? (I used the microsoft support site, but it didn't show me the correct how-to steps, just they said "doodle within your registry and use the windows cd,"

I really don't know how to repair IE 6.6. By the way, I have windows xp home edition running on Pentim III 1.7 GHz system, with 512 PCI 133 SDRAM for memory, and 60 GB for Hard Disk.

One more thing, when I write a URL, any URL in the adress bar, the response is not instant, I mean the IE doesn't show the website immediately.

Can anyone help me with these problems?

Regards to you all
Ashraf Mohammed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is DSL or Browser Problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is DSL or Browser Problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:is DSL or Browser Problem?
by David Chan / February 23, 2004 7:36 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:is DSL or Browser Problem? Or is it you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 10:08 PM PST
Collapse -
What machine is this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 10:14 PM PST

"By the way, I have windows xp home edition running on Pentim III 1.7 GHz system, with for memory, and 60 GB for Hard Disk."

1. The P3 ended at about much less than that speed. While interesting, not knowing what you have in the machine is not a good sign.

2. "512 PCI 133 SDRAM" is a mismosh of technology terms that makes little sense. If your machine was 1.7GHz, it's likely the Pentium 4 at 1.7 GHz and if it used SDRAM, then its performance is about 1/2 that of a machine with DDRAM or RAMBUS. I know because I have a 1.9 GHz P4 socket 423 with 512M of PC133 SDRAM and it's a dog compared to many machines. But it's a solid machine that is very useful for the office work, so its staying.

You don't need to respond to this post, but I hope in the future you have the people who sell you stuff not tell you such stories.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:is DSL or Browser Problem?
by Brechenme / February 23, 2004 11:05 PM PST

Alright... this is what i do. Don't use a download manager with DSL you don't need it downloading directly from a site is alot faster... atleast for me.
My other suggestion is use Norton INternet Security and have it blocks ads. Using Norton makes my pages load alot faster then if you don't.

Thats all i can suggest just try what i said.

Collapse -
Re:Re:is DSL or Browser Problem?
by mgth5626 / February 24, 2004 12:07 AM PST

Have you preformed a speed test? If not try www.bandwidthplace.com This will tell you if it is IE or a DSL problem.

Collapse -
Thanks everyone
by ashrafkadry / February 24, 2004 10:03 AM PST

Thanks everyone for your emails, and especially David for the two URLs you've posted the first solution worked fine.

I'm sorry for the writing mistakes in my message, I wrote it in a hurry. My Pentium speed is 1.07 GHz and not 1.7.

Bob, I don't know what's the problem here, but I hope everything is Ok. If you excuse me, I would like some words from your replies:

"You've posted many times here and I wonder if your past problems are still dogging you.Didn't you have some P2P programs installed?"
-I'm sure, and of that I'm certain, that I have never posted a message about P2P program"so I don't know on what grounds did you base such a general speculation. And no I don't have any "old problems" dogging me.

"And is this XP all patched up so the WORMS don't get you?"

- yes it is, that if you recall any of my messages.

Also, in another message:

"1. The P3 ended at about much less than that speed. While interesting, not knowing what you have in the machine is not a good sign."

- I think that it would have been more suitable to write me another message asking me about the specification instead of this line of writing.

and finally I quote:

"You don't need to respond to this post, but I hope in the future you have the people who sell you stuff not tell you such stories."

- I would like to ask a simple question: Do you think that this is a "technical" method of answering a question?

- I believe that the way in which I wrote most, if not all of my messages that if you're keeping a close tracking, entitles me for a more "respectable" and "technical" oriented answers.

- And still, I thank you for your reply.

Thanks again everyone

Best Regards
Ashraf Mohammed

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.