Laptops forum

General discussion

Is Dell X1, Sony TX670, or Sharp M4000 best ultraportable?

by lmparsons / January 24, 2006 10:36 AM PST

Please help! I need to purchase a small, VERY lightweight laptop with a long battery life & a great screen for PowerPoint presentations. Which is best -- the Dell X1, Sony TX670, or the Sharp M4000? The Dell & Sony are VERY pricy and non-upgradable, so if I get them, I'll have to keep them for quite some time. The price of the Sharp would allow me to get something else in 18 months when something new & remarkable comes on the market. I'll appreciate your advice! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Dell X1, Sony TX670, or Sharp M4000 best ultraportable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Dell X1, Sony TX670, or Sharp M4000 best ultraportable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharp m4000
by gadgetgrl / January 28, 2006 11:33 PM PST

I just bought a Sharp m4000 and am very happy with it so far. It does have some problems. The keyboard feels flimsy and the touchpad buttons are too small and are not the most comfortable to use. It doesn't have a scroll button and the scroll mechanism doesn't always work perfectly - in fact, I have been unable as of yet to get it to work with Firefox, which is very annoying. As with most ultraportables, the speakers stink. However, it has an absolutely amazing screen - incredibly bright and high resolution, and a nice 13.3 inches, unlike most 12 inch ultraportables. This really eases eyestrain. The keyboard, while it feels flimsy, is comfortable to type on, and the battery life is excellent. If you don't need super gaming processing power, I think it's a good choice, especially considering how much screen and battery life you get for the light weight. If you haven't already, you may also want to take a look at the Fujitsu s6000 series, which are better designed machines in many ways but with different compromises.

Collapse -
Thanks! Any idea where I could actually see a Sharp M4000?
by lmparsons / January 29, 2006 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sharp m4000

Thank you SO much for your response! I've narrowed my alternatives down to the Dell Latitude X1 and the Sharp M4000. But I can't locate a Sharp M4000 in the Houston area (so that I can actually SEE it). I hate to buy something "sight-unseen". The Sharp website said Fry's in Webster (a suburb of Houston) had the Sharp M4000, so I went there, but Fry's said they had never had a Sharp M4000 in stock.

Did you purchase yours through the Sharp website, or through a reseller? And had you seen one before making your purchase?

Thanks again SO much for your help! I need to buy a laptop in the next week or so, and I'm desperate for advice. I'll really appreciate the advice of you more experienced laptop owners.

Collapse -
Sharp m4000
by gadgetgrl / January 31, 2006 3:24 AM PST

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a retailer that carried the Sharp either, and not being able to see it was a serious reservation for me, too. I had bought two other laptops sight unseen, though, and they were successful, so I figured I'd take the plunge. I did not buy from Sharp but from a significantly cheaper reseller called Securemart that I found on Froogle or Pricegrabber or some such price engine. Their service was excellent and they shipped the same day, a Friday afternoon. I don't know anything about the Dell but the main advantage of the Sharp seems to be the bigger and, most likely, better screen. For me that was the deal-maker.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help!
by lmparsons / January 31, 2006 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Sharp m4000

Thank you SO much! I really appreciate your response. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Don't get the M4000
by menotbug / January 10, 2008 1:47 PM PST

The M4000 is junk.

When the screen closes, it touches the keyboard. After a couple of months you can see the plastic screen is worn down exactly where the edges of the keys touched - all over!

The female power receptacle is very weakly soldered into the computer. Over time it comes loose.

There is an electrical leak in mine. When I'm using it and I rub my fingertip across the surface, I can feel a small small buzzing sensation. Same thing goes when my wife is using it and I touch her skin.

Finally, try going to the Sharp website to get support on this laptop:

Try "M4000", "4000", "PC-M4000". Those morons pretend to not even have made their own product.

It makes me ill thinking of how much money was lost on this junk.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?