TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is current plasma technology becoming obsolete?

I am in the market for a plasma TV...I have been doing research the past couple months. I had finally decided on the Pioneer 50" plasma, but I was thinking of waiting for prices to come down (around $3,000 on sale). I just read that Pioneer recently announced that they are completely re-engineering the infrastructure of plasma technology and plans to roll out with the new plasma's in the US this summer. They say that it will basically make the technology used in today's plasmas obsolete. Does anyone have a information on this? I would hate to spend $3K now and have a totally new plasma available that blows mine out of the water come out in 4-5 months. I wonder how reliable this technology will be in the first generation plasma and I wonder if the price will be out of my range anyway. I am totally confused on what to do.

-Matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is current plasma technology becoming obsolete?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is current plasma technology becoming obsolete?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MY T.V. IS OBSOLITE AND I CAN CARE LESS

In reply to: Is current plasma technology becoming obsolete?

The Pioneer you are looking at is going to give you a 70m.m. movie theater quality picture. Its going to last many years and give you trouble free service. and at an a affordable price what are you waiting for? I own an older 72" d.l.p. set with fans, color wheels. and lamps and after a year of excellent service and stunning picture I can care less about new and improved . buy it and love it cant get any better than that steweee

Collapse -
WOW, NEW AND IMPROVED!!!

Panasonic is bringing out new Plasma sets this year also. There will all wise be new and improved.
Maybe some of the people at the CES show can look at a prototype and lets us know. John

Collapse -
No Matter What...

whatever you buy now will be blown out of the water by stuff that will be available in 6 months. This area of the electronics market is just now starting to really heat up so you can hold out till everything is Deep Color and has 1,000,000:1 constrast ratios, or you can buy what you can afford now and decide later if you absolutely must have that next generation thing. There should be plenty o sukkas looking for a cheap used HDTV for the foreseeable future.

Collapse -
NEW AND IMPROVED HOG WASH

In reply to: No Matter What...

I think you all need new glasses or your totally blind Iam sorry but while you all wait for all the new and improved like 1.3. I will be enjoying the theater quality picture on my old junk d.l.p. set. But if your going for lush budget quality then wait and get old. You all want something thats going to last a thousand years and cost $50.00.O yes I have seen expensive displays that cost 10 times more than my old junk but "WOW" mabey 5% better picture. Also who cares most folks are shopping for those cheepie walmart specials anyway stewee

Collapse -
Steweee I agree>>>

In reply to: NEW AND IMPROVED HOG WASH

I used to have to have the "latest and greatest" but after finding out time after time that the best that I just bought became obsolete in 6 months I quit. The day after Thanksgiving in '06 I went to one of those blowout sales at Wal-mart looking for an LCD tv for my bedroom. They had a 20" Symphonic LCD for $248. I've never heard of Symphonic and could care less where it is made but I took a chance and bought it. It has a great picture and very nice sound so who cares???? I'm no longer a sucker for the "latest and greatest". It is a game you cannot win.
Much Experience

Collapse -
TVs are already ahead of delivery systems...

Televisions are so far ahead of the delivery systems (cable, DVD) right now that it's highly likely that you won't be able to see the difference, anyway.

I have a six year old Sony hi-def that will probably die before it ever sees a device that matches its capabilities -- and friends and family still comment on what a great picture it has...

If you plan on watching the new blu-ray DVDs, you MIGHT be able to see the difference between the set you want now and what's coming out in six months... but, otherwise, you could end up like the rest of us that overbought and end up waiting years to see what you paid for.

My suggestion is buy the best you can now... and make sure it has at least two HDMI and two component inputs... and can at accomodate at least one or two more devices than you currently have or plan to buy. (they fill up quick and you won't want to clutter your setup with an external switch box!)

For what it's worth -- this time of year is a great time to buy as everyone just introduced their latest and greatest at CES... and you should see last year's models going on clearance soon.

Hope that helps!
P-

Collapse -
Wireless HDMI is the tech to wait for...

The tech that will make you wish you'd waited six months is wireless HDMI... which is supposed to be in stores this spring.

I know that I get tired of seeing the 6" thick bundle of cables that feeds my monster set... and I dread changing devices because there has to be 30 cables back there...

The articles I've read say that it will only add $50-100 to the cost of the set... and Philips will be introducing external boxes that can retrofit existing sets.

Collapse -
Wireless HDMI

In reply to: Wireless HDMI is the tech to wait for...

Can you point to any links confirming wireless hdmi? I'm with you, I dread buying a new [add your favorite AV equipment here] because of all the wiring involved. My wife wants to move our equipment, I'm against it. All the monster-this and that...wow. Don't tease me, where are you looking at wireless anything for AV?

Collapse -
Wireless HDMI

In reply to: Wireless HDMI

Here's a link for the Philips wireless HDMI for existing sets...
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2007/01/wireless_hdmi_solution_from_philips.html

here's a write-up showing both...
http://www.dailywireless.org/2007/01/11/wireless-hdmi/

Watching the CES special on G4 today, I saw that Toshiba introduced a flat panel TV that only the power wire is visible... and has a small box that your components hook up to.

The spec for wireless HDMI was just agreed upon this fall and the first chipsets are just now getting to manufacturers... The articles I have read (but now can't find) said it should be appearing in mid-to-high end TVs late spring to early summer.

You can find a lot more by googling "wireless HDMI"

Hope that helps!
Poke

Collapse -
Well, obviously Pioneer isn't into production yet for the

new latest & greatest technology so they'd like some folks to wait. Who can even dream of keeping up with the "state of the art & science?" Price trends continue moving to more affordable. The DLP I got 4 years ago is now about 30% of the price I paid. I wasn't trying to be state of the art; I just needed a TV.

Yes, Pioneer does make some really fine plasmas. You've noticed they command a premium price.

Anything you buy soon will have something that blows it out of the water within a couple of years.

Collapse -
What do I know?

I started thinking about replacing my 32" Sony XBR at the beginning of 2005, which was just about the time DLP really began taking off.

Depending upon whom you spoke to, I was told that Plasma's have a tendency to leak gas and had a life expectancy of around 5 years. DLP's on the other hand required a bulb replacement(at $250/bulb) after 2 - 3 years of usage and LCD's were just too darn expensive and small. The penny pincher in me wouldn't accept paying $1,000/year for a TV, nor was I overjoyed at the prospect of changing projection bulbs and dealing with picture alignment every couple of years.

So considering that the all wood entertainment center that housed my Sony was $1,500 new and would only accomodate another 32" TV, I ended up buying a 32" (4:3)Samsung 1080i HD CRT type for $800. Using the composite inputs with my DVD player and HD cable converter produces an outstanding but small picture. In fact, when I switch to the ATSC tuner and watch the local over-the-air channels, the picture even seems to get better, but in comparison to those 16:9's it is small.

Since I still lust after one of those 50"+ TV's, I consider my Samsung as a stop gap until some of the HDTV dust settles and prices level off. When $2,000 will get me what I want, then that all wood entertainment center and the 32" Samsung it currently houses will be making their way down to my basement.

Collapse -
I WOULD NOT SAY "BECOMING OBSOLETE" SO MUCH AS THAT.........

IT IS DEPRECIATING, RAPIDLY. It's quite like a new automobile; drive it off the car lot and you lose about a 1/5th of the purchase price. My 2003 TOYOTA isn't obsolete, but rather valued for less.

New technology will always supercede that currently available.

PURCHASE when ever you feel comfortable with your choice of features and the price thereof!

Technology waits for no man.

river.

Collapse -
(NT) No.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.