Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is Civics 101 failing?

I currently have a daughter that has come of voting age and a son not far behind her. At work I employ a girl from the local high school in the afternoons. I enjoy quizzing these youngsters and their friends on their knowledge of how the government is assembled, how it works, how it's supposed to work, etc. and I'm astounded at how much these young voters do not know about their government or their constitution. Are we failing ourselves and our system by not making sure these young voters are better prepared for the task?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Civics 101 failing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Civics 101 failing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes

In reply to: Is Civics 101 failing?

Collapse -
As them the names of the courses they have taken

Are they called:

Math
Science (Genereal, Biology, Chemisty, Physics0
History
American Government
Civics (sometimes Problems of Democracy)
English

You might find the names of the courses are quite long and lacking of recognizable description. They have also been graded quite differently. Mine are in college or just out and I found this to be true in their HS studies. My impression is that fundamentals were not dwelled on so much as theory and practice. In many respects, I believe they were treated by teachers more as peers than as subordinates. I am not surprized by your statement. I am willing to bet they can expound on the fallicies of our system, however.

Collapse -
When I grew up,

In reply to: As them the names of the courses they have taken

These were required subjects.

Collapse -
Same here

In reply to: When I grew up,

They don't seem to cover them as in depth as they did when I went to school. It seems to me that we'd all be better off if all of these new voters knew more about what they were voting for when they come of age. With all of the MTV type ads to get out the vote during the last election cycle I got the impression that some of the people running were hoping to take advantage of a bunch of unknowledgeable voters voting their way.

Collapse -
Yep. And another thing

In reply to: Same here

When I was in high school, they had a policy of not talking about religion or politics. That is, they wouldnt let you know what they believed either way, nor would they try to convince us one way or the other what we should be, politically. That was their policy. Unfortunately, many universities make it a point to churn out as many democrats as they possibly can by giving a one-sided view of the world.

I didnt run into that much in the relatively small college I attended, but as a young guy I was already a democrat. Happy

Collapse -
you ask kids today

who is the VP= huh
etc.
they are so uninformed

Collapse -
But I am willing to bet that if you ask them

In reply to: you ask kids today

who **** Cheney is they will mention Halliburton.:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.