Phones forum

General discussion

Is CDMA tech dead?

Hi, does anyone know whether the Motorola Slvr L7 will be made as a CDMA model or will it stay a GSM exclusive? If anyone has recommendations for which type of carrier to go with (CDMA vs GSM) I'ld love to read them. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is CDMA tech dead?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is CDMA tech dead?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Huh??? Why would CDMA technology be dead?

In reply to: Is CDMA tech dead?

It is the most advanced!

Collapse -
somehow

In reply to: Huh??? Why would CDMA technology be dead?

maybe the slvr will be cdma...maybe!!! but why would you ask why cdma is "dead"??? it has a great coverage and an ev-do network.i guess it depends on your preference

Collapse -
CDMA or GSM

CDMA or GSM.

If you are a world traveler GSM. It is used more worldwide.

At this time in America CDMA is more advanced and will be for a couple of years.

I use both CDMA and GSM.

CDMA has better data speeds and more features. Overall CDMA is better in the states.

In South Florida my Verizon phone has the best reception.

www.wirelessconsultant.net

Collapse -
Far from dead

In reply to: CDMA or GSM

TDMA (T, as in "time") is dead, but CDMA ain't going nowhere. If they could make the RAZR in both GSM and TDMA, Motorola could choose to make the SLVR for both types of carriers too, but that depends on business factors that don't have anything to do with the technology, per se.

Collapse -
room for both

In reply to: Far from dead

Yeah, for the time being, the differences are really just dependant on what carrier you use, correct? CDMA and GSM are equal competitors in a standards battle that doesn't necessarily need one winner.

Collapse -
correction?

In reply to: Far from dead

did you mean "motorola made the v3 for gsm and Cdma"?

Collapse -
experts like CDMA

Actually, a lot of things I've read indicate that so-called "experts" are pushing for CDMA over GSM, because of better security and fewer dropped calls. Take it for what it's worth.

Collapse -
I prefer CDMA

In reply to: experts like CDMA

I go with CDMA mainly because it's been used in the USA by more carriers much longer than GSM. Since more carriers use it, and been around longer, some rural areas are likely to be covered by CDMA than GSM. T-Mobile (and predecesor Voicestream) avoided most rural communities for far too long that my phone would be just like Nextel, no service in most rural communities. One of my original choices for service was the old AT&T Wireless on TDMA. That didn't materialize when I looked at Sprint & Verizon. I later went with Verizon for a better plan (at the time in March 2002) and for the areas I traveled, I'd go off network the least with Verizon.

Collapse -
Thanks

I'ld just like to thank everybody for the input. I live in Newfoundland Canada, and tech shifts seem to hit us about 1 to 2 years behind the rest of the continent. It's fairly rural here with a total population of about 510k, and I was afraid that there may have been a push to change over to a single standard. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.