TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is Best Buy gearing up for Plasma push?

by Dan Filice / September 17, 2006 10:12 AM PDT

I happened to go into Best Buy today and their entire main TV wall had nothing but Plasma TVs. The 1080p Sony SXRD was on the end of an isle, along the floor with no space to view it properly. The rest of the LCD TVs were down isles where you had to view them with no more than a 2 foot distance. Hmmmm.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Best Buy gearing up for Plasma push?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Best Buy gearing up for Plasma push?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well
by masterying01 / September 17, 2006 10:27 AM PDT

like walmart, and other retailers, they are trying to phase out tube tv's. with each store thats built or remodeled, you'll find the tubes all the way in the back in a dark corner aisle or something, with flat-panels in the front where its visible to everyone.

projections are still popular due to the size of square inch...but for every 1 projo we sell, we push out at least 3 flat-panel tv's that are 37"+.

inorder for a projection to look good enough where it'll draw away attention from a good plasma, it has to be in a darker space and those are becomming harder to incoorporate into stores to make it look good.

after rereadiung your post, it also sounds like the store you went to might be going through a remodel. if you walk into a store thats doing a remodel, you might see tv's all over the floor or racetrack of the store.....or whoever did merchandising for that store had no idea what htey were doing.

but at the end of the day though, unfortunately IMHO, flat-panels are started to become a LOT more popular then all crt and microdisplay projection tv's combined.

Collapse -
Price drops on LCDS and plasmas
by inni121 / September 17, 2006 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: well

i live in toronto

the two biggest electronics retailers here are Best Buy and Future Shop

check out www.futureshop.ca and www.bestbuy.ca and u will c huge price drops on many plasmas and lcd tvs hapepning this week,

i think with the looming change to HDTV being mandatory broadcast signal by 2007 and the PS3 (1080p - bluray) coming out in november there are some new models of HDTV coming in, also in time for thanksgiving and chrismas shopping seasons.

this seems normal, as last year i remember the same happening to Computer LCD displays around the same time of year

Collapse -
actually mr. mindmelt
by masterying01 / September 17, 2006 11:12 AM PDT

futureshop is owned (or is a parent company) by bby...that is why they carry the same products with pricedrops at the same time.

best buy wanted to open stores in canada, so they either bought or acquired the futureshop company to test it out and see how it will work and see what the market was like. after seeing how successful it was, they decided to actually open up a few actual bby's in canada.

Collapse -
actually MR. masterying01
by inni121 / September 17, 2006 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: actually mr. mindmelt

Best Buy owns Futureshop.

i know that, but thats not what i said in my post

eventhough the price drops occured this week at the same time thats not always the case. they have sales on different products at the same time

most of the products they carry are different, with some exceptions, like computers and laptops may be similar

home audio is completely different

Collapse -
check out 2001audiovideo store
by inni121 / September 17, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

go to http://www.2001audiovideo.com/index.php

go to current ads section, i think its page 3 read the middle of the page ALL big screen TVS on sale

yup thats what i thought, old models out, in with the new

of course this doesnt happen over one week period, but by november all new tvs will hit the shelves

Collapse -
Lost of sales comming up I hope!
by jcrobso / September 19, 2006 7:20 AM PDT

At the beginning of the year Panasonic opened a very, very BIG plasma plant, stoped making CRTs and converted thoes plants to plasma. They want to sell plasmas.
Yes, many BBYs are remodling. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?