Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is AVG safe for WinXP?

by kwokwai -space4english / March 22, 2006 12:14 AM PST

I am using Win98SE with AVG installed, so far so good!

Do you recommend this software to be installed in WinXP?

Please share your opinion and feeling about this software!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is AVG safe for WinXP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is AVG safe for WinXP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG and Windows XP
by tgholmes / March 22, 2006 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Is AVG safe for WinXP?

I am running Windows XP Pro and AVG and it works without a hitch. At this point, I would not use anything else. It is the free version and so far has updated itself with minimal intrusions.
I will say, I have no deep knowledge that it has caught or stopped any viruses?

Collapse -
which directory does the downloaded files go to ?
by kwokwai -space4english / March 22, 2006 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: AVG and Windows XP

Users can choose to update AVG through the Update Tab, but I have no idea where the updated files go to?

Collapse -
Documents and Settings
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 4:06 AM PST

Look here;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin

Mark

Collapse -
Updates for AVG
by siriusproductions / March 24, 2006 5:01 PM PST
In reply to: Documents and Settings

I've got 143 MB of update files in that folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin). Do I need to keep them once AVG has been updated?

Jeff

Collapse -
Difficult to say.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 24, 2006 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: Updates for AVG

I would keep those files there. Removing them may remove definitions updates and so render AVG less effective.

Mark

Collapse -
AVG safety & WIN XP
by edbrady / March 24, 2006 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Difficult to say.

I've used AVG. Worked well for me. I quit a couple of years ago when they stopped giving updates. What was happening is they were changing the program (from 6 to 7), but hadn't said anything.

I changed to avast! (also free) and have been using it ever since, but I still recommend AVG as well as avast! when anyone asks me about a-v protection at minimum cost. (How can you get any better than free? Maybe they pay you to use it?) Happy

Collapse -
avg in xp
by mutton777 / March 22, 2006 3:47 AM PST

I have been running AVG in my computer, win xp pro
sp2, for over 18 months, without any problems. in that time it has caught and locked 2 viruses. it is one of the most reliable,(and free) virus scanners on the market. used with ad aware etc, your computer should be protected.

Collapse -
AVG and XP
by wingedgoblin / March 25, 2006 1:41 AM PST

Have been using avg pro plus firewall for a year now.
i can say it has found and stoppped viruses,trogan horses,keyloggers, and has helped on two other machines, one with xp home and another with XP media edition.
I would personally recomend this product to anyone.
and it has found traces in my reg. that norton did not.

Collapse -
Works fine here
by joesmithers06 / March 22, 2006 12:59 AM PST

Has been for quite some time too.

Collapse -
Works great for me!
by davidol / March 22, 2006 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Works fine here

I have been using AVG free version for over 2 years now and so far I haven't got 1 virus.

Collapse -
Excellent Choice
by Scott Simontis / March 22, 2006 10:31 AM PST

I use AVG, and I install it on my clients' machines whenever I am doing PC repair. While AVG might not be the fastest scanner, it catches a lot of things Norton failed to catch on some of the computers I work with. Also, it normally can catch viruses the minute you install it.

I would strongly recommend AVG, it seems to do better than any other product on the market that I have had experience with.

Collapse -
yes , AVG is good in my opinion
by shankru85 / March 23, 2006 12:46 AM PST

I don't know if you intend AVG free editon or PROFESSIONAL one .
However i've used Free edition for 2 month & i could not complain : good scan engine even if not too fast in scanning & not so low in RAM using , but it scans deep . It does not obstruct web surfing while protecting against threats coming from websites . It has useful interface displaying all functions in one screen & it's very easy to use (instructions desplayed). It is even easy to uninstall & does not leave annoying reg key or other components that may cause WINDOWS instability , so you have not to look for them along all pc areas . Not so positive is subject of updates , that are quite sporadic . Anyway this is good software but not the best : i think there are better ones & also in freeware category .
Regards
White lightning

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) good and go a head
by kulfi / March 23, 2006 4:11 PM PST
Collapse -
avg
by josephgreene / March 23, 2006 6:16 PM PST

Go ahead and use it, if you can go for a licensed copy, their tech support is very good. If there is a problem they will do their darndest to resolve it for you and you may find that after they do your fix an update will follow shortly

Collapse -
Problem Updating AVG
by siriusproductions / March 24, 2006 5:07 PM PST

Every time I update AVG7 Free, the update file is over 2 MB and it always requires a reboot. That's on my WinXPSP2 machine. The exact same version of AVG on my WinME machine usually has much, much smaller updates and it *never* requires a reboot to complete the update process. I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling AVG on my XP system, but it still requires a reboot each time. I'm going to be away for a few days and would like the updates to take care of themselves unattended, but if they don't take effect without a reboot, then that won't work.

Otherwise, I like AVG. It works well on both my ME and XP systems in conjunction with ZoneAlarm, AdAware, SpyBot, etc.

Jeff

Collapse -
AVG free version = not good
by cynthiasas / March 24, 2006 8:13 PM PST

Hi everyone.

I'm not shocked to hear people recommending AVG free edition, but I am shocked to hear a PC repairer installs AVG free edition on his/her client's systems. Although it's a perfect way to have them come back sooner than later due to more infections, but that's not a good business ethic is it?

Two of my friends who are in the computer technician business would never recommend AVG free edition because, frankly, it's crap. I'm know I've just offended all you AVG free edition fans out there and I'm sorry for that, but AVG free edition is free for a reason.

One of these computer techs strongly stands against AVG free edition because it's normally on every client computer that came into his shop for a repair or disinfection. He strongly stands by Norton anti virus provided it's configured correctly, the other computer tech, well I don't know his preference but I know it's not AVG free edition.

Since I am now in the IT industry myself with the agenda to develop a strong portfolio of top grade software, I had undertaken my own extensive research into what the best anti virus product on the market today was. I used foremostly AV-Comparatives.org . Go there yourself and apply your own interpretation on their unbiased independant results. You will see Eset NOD32, Kaspersky, McAfee and Bit Defender, and more, consistently performing better than AVG (the non free edition).

You should really read this article:
http://esac.kaspersky.fr/index.php?PageID=9

Other AV evaluation and certification sites you may want to look at are:
www.av-comparatives.org
www.checkvir.com
www.icsalabs.com
www.westcoastlabs.org

These links will provide you with invaluable antivirus performance knowledge. Oh, and the AV product I chose was Eset NOD32. It's scanning is faster, uses true advanced hueristics, and all with very little or barely noticable 'footprint' on an old 466Mhz computer's system resources.

Kind Regards
Toddzy

Collapse -
To snharden
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 24, 2006 9:05 PM PST

Sorry but I have removed your post. Personal attacks are not supported in these forums.

Please review the Forum Policies, link on the left.

Mark

Collapse -
AVG free not good ?
by Papa Echo / March 24, 2006 9:08 PM PST

Good or no good, It is subjective. I use it anyway. But I also get a second opinion with an on-line scan. No problems. You pay for a good one. You still need a second opinion. Nowadays, you cannot depend on one anti-virus and one alone. No anti-virus is that good. An anti-virus only works or is 'good' if it is updated frequently and on time, so anyone who gets the latest virus definations code worked out first wins.

Collapse -
AVG - good in real life testing
by pacifist / March 25, 2006 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: AVG free not good ?

I have used the free version of AVG for sometime on two of my four computers so as not to put all my eggs in one basket and to date this is what I have found. AVG has not missed any virus to date and I have checked this by doing on-line scans as well with Trend, McAfee, F-Secure and Panda on all of my machines. I have found AVG is a little slower at new definitions from time to time but other than that is running as well as Kaspersky I run on one machine and Norton on another. On the down side the only one I have had any problem with is Norton but only for being resource greedy and slow on scan times. You can read all the test results you like but it is what happens in the real world that counts and I guess that would make my vote one for AVG.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well said, Papa!!
by seafox13 / March 27, 2006 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: AVG free not good ?
Collapse -
AVG & Eset
by shankru85 / March 27, 2006 3:39 AM PST

Hi Toddzy ,
i think that you're right : Eset is getting
everyday better , i see everyday on my friend's pc...
by the way , he's a technician just like your friend .
Furthermore the strange coincidence
is that he installs AVG Free edition on all
customers computers : that's because is easy to use ,
unfrequently causes WINDOWS crashes , can find
most of dangerous viruses , is easy(for him & his work)
to install & to update , it's nice looking...& it's freeware .
I have installed a famous Security Suite & i know
that my scanner can find not only most of dangerous viruses ,
but also little annoying malware as is one of better
antivirus software on market...but unfortunately it's not
freeware .
AVG is surely nothing special but performs quite good scan ,
is well updated , provides a good protection against
web threats ; if you add this qualities to the fact that is
freeware , you'll discover why it is so popular &
appreciated .
However thanks to remind me , i'll soon
change my Security Suite & buy NOD 32 , which is less
sponsored software ever but is one of the best...
just few words & many actions !
Regards
White [ITA]

Collapse -
AVG Free
by hypno444 / April 13, 2006 12:04 AM PDT

Well, I have been a "computer technician" since 1966 and I always recommend AVG. I have used it on 98SE, XPME, XP Pro and it has always worked very well, in some cases catching viruses Norton and McAfee did not. Always updates automatically with no problems and best of all it is FREE. I think it is a fine product,,but that is just my opinion.

Collapse -
AVG Virus prot
by khammo02 / March 25, 2006 3:35 AM PST

I am using Xp now and previously used AVG (Free Edition) for my computer when I had Windows 98 SE...I have since gone to the paid version (which is very reasonable-less than $35.00 for 2 years). Not had hardly any problems and the support has been very good!! (e-mail support)

Lee W.

Collapse -
avg safe with all
by edcor21 / March 27, 2006 5:29 PM PST

I used avg free version with 98se, millenium,& xp with sp2 with no problems at all..when on line it has popped up to warn me of virus's & sked what i want to do with them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?