Computer Help forum

General discussion

Is AVG anti-virus sufficient?

by grandpaw7 / June 20, 2004 4:16 AM PDT

I presume that the virus alert topic is for alerts only and not for problems like this.

I have the AVG free edition. I had it scan for viruses and it reported I have none. Then, I ran HouseCall and it said I have two viruses which it designated TROG REVOP A and TROG STILEN A. It's report said they are non-cleanable. I then updated AVG and had it scan again, and again it said I had none.

ONE. Does that mean that AVG is unreliable?

TWO. What should I do about the two viruses that HouseCall found and said are non-cleanable?

Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is AVG anti-virus sufficient?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is AVG anti-virus sufficient?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Is AVG anti-virus sufficient?
by Yew / June 20, 2004 5:21 AM PDT

I'm not all that familiar with Housecall, but I seem to recall that it also scans for spyware and that sort of garbage. So is it possible that it found spyware and you mistook it for a virus?

Collapse -
More questions
by grandpaw7 / June 20, 2004 6:39 AM PDT

Thanks, yewanchors, for your reply.

Somehow I got to TrendMicro's discussion of these two "viruses". Trend calls them both Trojan virus types. About TROJ_STILEN.A, it says that "this trojan sets up an adware". About TROJ_REVOP.A, it says that "This memory-resient trojan usually arrives downloaded by a compenent file or by the malware VBS.INOR.M from certain web sites." It doesn't say anything about adware or spyware for REVOP.

It says that the risk is very low for both, the damage potential is low for STILEN and medium for REVOP, and the distribution potential low for both.

The solution instructions for both look pretty complicated for someone at my ignorance and incompetance level, involving instructions for termininating the malware, removing autostart entries, removing other entries from the registry. I'm inclined to leave the stuff be.

How unwise would that be?

Isn't there some place I can go and just click on a button or two to do the job?

The two files are files of my granddaughter. Does that mean they won't affect my own business on the computer?

I don't know what the difference is between spyware and virus or why Trend calls the spyware viruses, but its HouseCall checks for spyware whereas I guess that AVG doesn't. I don't know how important that is.

Since one of the "viruses" is spyware, would running Spybot and Adaware take care of it?

Any comments would be appreciated. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: More questions
by Stan Chambers / June 20, 2004 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: More questions

Hi Grandpaw:
Doesn't sound like a major problem, but I would have to run Ad-Aware and Spybot, just to see what they find. I would also delete all that they find.
I can't bear the thought of any adware, spyware, malware, or any other type of parasite on my machine.
That's just me.
If you're not already running Ad-Aware and Spybot, you can download them for free at: http://www.pcworld.com
Good luck, and I hope this will help.

Collapse -
Re: More questions
by grandpaw7 / June 20, 2004 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: More questions

Thanks for your input, Ernie. I updated and ran Spybot and Adaware. All of the objects that came up were in grandpaw files and none in my granddaughter's files so I guess that didn't catch either "virus", including the one Trend says is spyware.

In any event, I have just had my computer go blank so I am using my daughter's and am posting a Help Wanted ad about that. grandpaw

Collapse -
I'm on record. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 20, 2004 10:50 AM PDT

all over these forums with my opinion about free AV software.

You get what you pay for, period. And the support is of the same value.

Spend $39.00 for NAV at Best Buy, get two $20.00 rebates. Now it's free, but not the same.

Collapse -
Re: I'm on record. . .
by Yew / June 20, 2004 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm on record. . .

Except that presently there are two or three viruses that manage to elude NAV completely. And McAfee's offering is a monsterous resource eater, so you're basically screwed every which way you go.

You can also get copies of Systemworks 2003 for like $10 at places like NewEgg last I checked. Complete with the 1-year update subscription.

Collapse -
Re: I'm on record. . .
by ereedks / June 26, 2004 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm on record. . .

There is some BIG factors to consider with Norton. A few years back it was great. Then Dr. Peter Norton sold the rights to Symantec, then he retired a few months later. Symantec has been cutting corners ever since. First, they switched to updates once a week instead of daily. Next, they quit providing online tech support if you get a virus. Now, they charge for tech support if you get have a virus. The cost is $39.95 for them to give you do-it-yourself instructions, or $69.95 for them to walk you through step-by-step. Or you can call their 900 number at a $2.95 per minute rate or pay $29.95 per incident. All because their anti-virus doesn't work and lets a virus in. I prefer a AV that updates daily including weekends, and offers free tech support. So I'll keep what I've got.

Collapse -
by ZoomerZ / June 20, 2004 1:54 PM PDT

1. The short answer is yes.
2. Let HouseCall delete them. By non-cleanable it mean that the virus can not be removed from the file, usually because the file is nothing but the virus.

Recomended course of action - D/L and run Spybot, D/L and run Spyware Blaster, D/L and install PC-cillin. Purchase after 30 trial if it works for you.
I have been using these 3 programs for years, and together with safe computing practices, am yet to get a virus.
Good luck.

Collapse -
the most important anti-virus thing-- my 2 cents
by frankzxcv / June 20, 2004 2:54 PM PDT

well, a few things: no single program is going to do it all-- new viruses and scumware and parasites are being written all the time so it's a constant game of catchup.

go to windows update and update your windows security patches . . .

think about using a non-microsoft browser and e mail program . . .

The most important antivirus step: BACK UP your data!

--fj

Collapse -
Thanks to all for the input
by grandpaw7 / June 25, 2004 2:35 AM PDT

I expect asking which anti-virus program is best is like asking which car is the best, everyone has his/her favorite.

I do use AdAware and Spybot, and Housecall when I think there may be a problem. I am going to switch from the free AVG to a paid for service.

With respect to the comment of Marianna Schmudlach about Trend's discussion of the two viruses, I did look at them as reflected in my second post.

Thanks to all. grandpaw7

Collapse -
by mp3artists / June 26, 2004 6:58 PM PDT

a tech I met down in Florida told me about Grisoft and AVG.

The only virus programs I would buy would be from Grisoft. I am extremely impressed with AVG free edition and I can't think of any company I am more impressed with than Grisoft. They have earned my business. The automatic updates and scans AVG does are superior. This program has caught a number of trojans and viruses on my way into my machine.

I have turned folks I do tech work for onto these Grisoft programs and they thank me profusely for them. I run three spy program scanners. First adaware, then spysweeper, then the new spybot. The secret iosn to run them alot , almost everyday. What one doesn't catch the other will. This is what is screwing up the internet. People injecting their little programs into your computer without your knowledge. Hopefully someday it will be illegal. Without a doubt resource stealing variants are the biggest problem a computer with lean RAM faces.

peace
Chris

http://www.chrisgardner.com

Collapse -
Darn, Chris
by grandpaw7 / June 27, 2004 12:11 AM PDT

I just about had my mind made up to switch from AVG to a paid service. Now, I've got to rethink that. Thanks for the input. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Darn, Chris
by Mary Kay / June 27, 2004 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Darn, Chris

I run both AVG free and Norton and a month or so back when a new virus hit the net, neither blocked it but AVG caught it and Norton didn't. I'm still using both as I paid for Norton but I will probably think twice about renewing

Collapse -
Re: Darn, Chris
by firewire / June 27, 2004 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Darn, Chris

AVG is a good anti-virus program. However, a free program I recommend is Avast! Home Edition. It is a fanatastic anti-virus programs and has a vast array of features, including real time scanning.

See what people are saying about Avast! on the CNET Download reviews section. CNET Avast! user reviews Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.