Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is AVG 6.0 AntiVirus doing his job?

by netsurfer / May 7, 2004 3:59 PM PDT

Hello again,
I put on the avg 6.0 on my pc after norton refused to let me redownload again their nav which i paid for.(is it legal?)
my question is is AVG doing its work well enough?
they say i have to update only once a month compared to weekly or less at norton.
I see Marianna has a good opinion about avg,but is their virus protection really up to date with the last viruses going around?..
im not judging,i have it only for 24 hours,so it would be nice to see the forum's view.
thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is AVG 6.0 AntiVirus doing his job?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is AVG 6.0 AntiVirus doing his job?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: it works for me
by jonah jones / May 7, 2004 4:07 PM PDT

although you can improve performance by allowing 'Scheduled Update' to run 'if database is older than'=1 day...

just make sure that it's set to run at times that you know you will be online (or run a manual update whenever you are online)

in the last few months, AVG have been putting out daily (and sometimes 2-3 a day) updates...

jonah

Collapse -
Re:Re: it works for me
by netsurfer / May 7, 2004 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: it works for me

thats exactly what i wanted to know.so they have new updates on daily bases.i hear only good things about avg.my NAV caused serious problems when i started using it with the sygate firewall,i couldnt shut down the pc without closing manually the nav and sygate...blue screens all the time..
i have the avg for 1 day,and have no problems using it with sygate firewall so far.
this avg free software is better than a paid software i see....
Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re: it works for me
by Mark G / May 7, 2004 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re: it works for me

not all time avg updates daily but when theres a need usually daily but some times skips a day.
but as jonah said check it manually daily run scan daily
i use avg and havent had a problem yet(knocking on wood) Grin

Collapse -
Re:Is AVG 6.0 AntiVirus doing his job?
by John Robie / May 8, 2004 6:09 AM PDT

Hi Netsurfer,

Re: "I put on the avg 6.0 on my pc after norton refused to let me redownload again their nav which i paid for.(is it legal?)"

You didn't indicate which version of Nortons Anti-Virus. I have NAV vs 2003 on one computer and the free AVG 6.0 on two others. As I recall Nortons did make a change in their "Live Update" for definitions and around January my PC with the 2003 version started indicating an error not allowing me to download updates. The problem was easily corrected by doing a search with the Nortons site. Type in Live Update at their search:

http://www.symantec.com/search/

Some other info on Live Update:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2002021908382713?OpenDocument&src=sec_web_nam

As others have indicate, AVG may have updates sometimes more than once a day. I keep a AVG Icon in my Quick Launch Task Bar and click on it to check updates each day I use the computers with AVG.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Is AVG 6.0 AntiVirus doing his job?
by netsurfer / May 8, 2004 8:44 PM PDT

Thanks everyone.i meant the nav2003 software(not the updates)which norton dont allow to redownload after 1 year("is it legal?").avg looks good after 2 days.no blue screens at shut down,and i see from you that its a reliable software,so thanks all for your replies.

Collapse -
by alcaz / May 9, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

would say yes works well for me

Collapse -
by Larry38 / May 9, 2004 4:01 AM PDT

I have Windows XP Home SP1 and I use Norton 2003 v9.05.15 also AVG Free v6.0.670 both have worked well for me. I make sure they are updated daily.

Collapse -
by zeebell / May 9, 2004 5:13 AM PDT

Hi netsurfer -- according to our local computer club of about 400 members, our club ranks avg up there with Norton and McAfee. In fact, we have a training center with about 20 computers used for training and they all have avg loaded on them -- the avg 6.0 free edition.

Personally, I've used Norton and McAfee, and prefer avg over either of those. For me, it's more user friendly than others. I had mucho problems when trying to renew my Norton about 4 years ago -- after they cut me off about 3 months too early! I did get a refund finally, but it was such a hassle. I used McAfee for a year when we first got our PC, but just prefer avg even over it.

I use the avg free edition and the ONLY problem I had with it was when they had limited servers to get the updates from. Now that they have so-ooo-oo many, 'tis not a problem at all. I'm still using the post that was made here reflecting the 4 servers available. Now I think it's up to 40. Some people evidently never had a problem with getting the updates, but I did several weeks ago. It's good now though.

I check for updates a couple of times a day however, because with the virus war that seems to be going on, avg updates quite frequently.

I've used them for 4 years now and am very satisfied. Just this past week I tested it by using a virus test file I got at CloudEight to make sure your antivirus was working -- it works!

Hope this helps, and I vote for avg!

Julea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?