Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Is anyone experiencing a pop up...

by tomron / May 5, 2006 8:09 AM PDT

rearding a mobile phone in the message box when trying to read a post.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is anyone experiencing a pop up...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is anyone experiencing a pop up...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope..........
by Glenda / May 5, 2006 11:30 AM PDT

and if I get one now, it will be all your fault!!! Devil

Collapse -
I'm not
by PudgyOne / May 5, 2006 11:33 AM PDT

I'm not experiencing a pop-up.

I hope it doesn't make the cursor go away! I LOVE that cursor!

I use Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.3 with adblock and never get a pop-up

Rick

Collapse -
At last,i have prove
by tomron / May 5, 2006 12:23 PM PDT

I thought it was only in a post with a word wrap issue.

I don't know if there is a connection or a coincidence.

click HERE ,you might have to scroll to the right to see it.

Tom

Collapse -
I saw an ad
by Glenda / May 5, 2006 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: At last,i have prove

for a phone, but it wasn't in the message body. It was at the top and to the right. This seems to be the scroll issue, at least for me it was:(

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and it wasn't a pop up either
by Glenda / May 5, 2006 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: I saw an ad
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Whatever its called,its annoying
by tomron / May 5, 2006 12:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) In that post it is a word wrap issue,not a scroll issue
by tomron / May 5, 2006 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I saw an ad
Collapse -
I had to scroll
by Glenda / May 5, 2006 1:33 PM PDT

to the bottom of the page to see it:(

Collapse -
I'm not 100% positive its a word wrap ...
by tomron / May 5, 2006 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: I had to scroll

issue,its just a possibility.

Click HERE and you will see what i mean.

Tom

Collapse -
Yes, I see the popup in the text
by John Robie / May 5, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

of the link you provided. Also, you do have to horizontal scroll to the right because of the extra long URL's in that message. I have also seen other popup's in the text similiar to that on occasion in the last few days.

Glenda has reported recently in another thread to this forum about her problem with having to vertical scroll in order to get down to the text of a message. She is using IE.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is this a "TEMP" situation
by tomron / May 5, 2006 3:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
I would hope so. Seems to be a
by John Robie / May 5, 2006 3:31 PM PDT

system glitch that blocks out reading part of a message as I can't seem to remove it.
Luckly that text blocking popup has only come up a few times for me.
As far as the 'wrap'.... having to right scroll whenever a long URL is posted....was reported some time ago.

Using as my main desktop PC, WinXP SP2, and Firefox vs 1.5.0.3 without a ad or popup blocker.

Collapse -
Should have read this first
by Glenda / May 5, 2006 3:46 PM PDT

It answered my question! LOL I have Yahoo pop up blocker, Msn Blocker and the Google one!! A bit of over kill here, but they are all in my toolbars:)

Collapse -
I never did get any type of ad blocker
by John Robie / May 5, 2006 4:01 PM PDT

even knowing they can be had free. Perhaps it is because through the years I've ignored them just like when reading the newspaper, and somehow I can't seem to see them anymore, even tho they are there. Happy

PS. Getting late for me, need to get to bed.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sleep tight:)
by Glenda / May 5, 2006 4:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
I AM Having The Exact Problem w/ Mozilla_13 WITH Pop-Up...
by tobeach / May 16, 2006 6:18 PM PDT

blocker (block all unrequested pop- ups) turned on.
Basically I recently started noticing the screen size on my 17" LCD panel seemed to suddenly have it's resolution size be decreased with long URL Links (C-Net). Previously had to scroll to side to see but all else seemed same.
Now, it seems as if I've had my size drops from 1024 X 768 to maybe 800 X 600 but not indicated as such.
I've even tried using preferences>Advanced>Javascript> : Uncheck box for "allow java script to move or resize existing windows" + "move window up or down" too no avail!!
Worst part is preparing to post , I'm ok until I try to preview then the sizing & Box Ad prevent me from reading coherently to check flow & syntax & grammatical errors.
Then after posting, when I try to view the final result, there is the same problem and I STILL can't read it coherently! In case where giving advice to a confused newbie, if he's seeing what I'm seeing, he won't be able to understand the advice/instr/directions. I can't & I wrote it!
The situation seems to be progressing from bad (floating ad over text), to worse with oversize & floating ad as well.
I thought it was some setting of mine but it's apparently a problem w/the sites' overly aggressive snatching of space for even MORE & varied ads compounded with border issues.
Anything I can do to solve this? Being completely non-technical I can't even guess. Block all pop-ups here (what happens to log in etc)? Not a pop-up by Moz's definition?
I made enough mistakes & errors as was previously, at this point I don't feel capable of continuing to post using C-Net linked messages (if that is in fact the problem), or possibly posting at all. Angry Thanks for reading my 4 A.M. rant! Happy

Collapse -
Don't you use a
by Glenda / May 5, 2006 3:43 PM PDT

Pop up blocker?

Collapse -
Kind of interesting
by taboma / May 18, 2006 4:02 PM PDT

tomron. A blank mustard-yellow screen. There is not a scroll available with a screen-shot. The other screen shots did look like a pastie that Jonah Jones mentioned. All in all, a pain to view on the CNET Forum.
I'm with you on that one.
On a Mac with the Safari browser, there is also an adblock feature that is active. Works!
Down the line I am sure others will view what you have now.
Things happen, unfortunately.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Not a popup
by Dragon / May 10, 2006 11:10 AM PDT

Earlier, I had seen an ad on the right side, when I had a reply box up, or if someone had a long URL posted in their post, making it overlap the ads on the right side.

It was something like a Microsoft ad, using some kind of flash technolgy which seemed to 'show through' or float over, the page in front of it.

Currently, there is a static ad (below) which is OK -- it does not cause any problems

Ad showing a rear view mirror:
Perfect gear for a road trip

Don't get stuck behind the wheel without your tunes or the proper navigational equipment. Read our guide for the best portable road trip tech and suggestions on how to use it.
Read more

I meant to put up a note earlier, but didn't get around to it until now.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'ts baa-aack ... Another flash ad showing through
by Dragon / May 15, 2006 4:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's Baaa-aack!
by taboma / May 16, 2006 3:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
That's not how mine looks.
by Dragon / May 18, 2006 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: It's Baaa-aack!

Mine is a lot smaller, about one inch square. It only behaves this way when the ad is 'active', as in some type of flash technology.

Hope this screenshot link works.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) bump
by Dragon / May 29, 2006 11:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
It is a problem if
by Dragon / May 18, 2006 11:55 AM PDT

you want to put your cursor there or to edit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?