Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is Ad-aware Dead or dieing?

by C Grover / March 1, 2007 5:15 AM PST

My personal version of Ad-aware has not been able to update (using the update click here thing)for most of this last month.

I re-downloaded and installed it again just yesterday. Then ran the update which fails just like the existing one did. It did run a full scan (as delivered) and come back with some issues but just won't update.

I went to lavasoft, and their website's support forums where the issue seems to be happening to others. I did not do the suggested "Blah blah blah malware blah blah blah" stuff) I did download and run the Microsoft malware detector, and it did not see anything.

Looks like Ad-aware is about to release a new 2007 ver.

I have AVG a-spam installed and run it just fine. I just thought that I'd run adaware once in a while to pick up a few others, but it won't update.

Anyone got a clue???

Is there another FREE a-spam or a-malware program I should use in it's place?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Ad-aware Dead or dieing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Ad-aware Dead or dieing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
we'll see
by C Grover / March 1, 2007 6:44 AM PST

I guess it started working again.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what's up.

Collapse -
Ad-Aware Dead?
by Carol~ Moderator / March 1, 2007 6:46 AM PST

C Grover..

You mentioned, 'I went to lavasoft, and their website's support forums where the issue seems to be happening to others. I did not do the suggested "Blah blah blah malware blah blah blah" stuff) I did download and run the Microsoft malware detector, and it did not see anything.'

From what I've read at the Lavasoft Forum and elsewhere, it would be worth your while to rule out any malware. You said you didn't do the 'blah blah malware stuff'. It's only my opinion, but I think you might benefit from scanning with something in addition to the MS malware detector. (The trial version of AVG Anti-Spyware is an option, as is an online scan with Housecall.)

Some Ad-Aware users were having problems with the update stopping after only five percent is processed. You didn't indicate specifically, if this was your case. According to a thread at the Lavasoft Forum (post #8) , 'If the update stops after only five percent is processed, your firewall is most likely preventing the update. To correct this, disable the firewall for the duration of the update or configure the firewall to allow requests from Ad-Aware SE to pass through.'

Only some considerations and best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Curcat Mentioned the 5% Only During Update.....
by tobeach / March 1, 2007 2:36 PM PST

another reason for the 5% download is IF their download servers are temporarily overloaded with download requests. This sometimes happens when many read that there's a new update and rush to get it. Usually trying again 1 hour later gets the update.

If you have 2 way (in&out) firewall, you must specifically approve Adaware for update. You may have to do this thru "MS Security Center" in SP2 machines.

AVG 7.5 Anti-Spy (formerly EWIDO) is quite good & has VERY large recognized threat base. Free 30 day trial of full function version. After 30 days up, if you chose not to buy license, you get to keep the scanner & can update manually. You lose the background guard & the "automatic" update check. Will get MOST malware. If unable to remove something, try scan/removal again in safe mode.
Good Luck! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?