Computer Help forum

General discussion

Is a Windows XP problem or a hardware isssue?

by FpLiOnYkD / November 10, 2006 12:05 AM PST

Not sure if this is a Windows XP problem or a hardware isssue. My problem is that my poining device (both touchpad and mouse) can go bonkers on the desktop. All of a sudden, when you move the mouse it will act like you are dragging it. It will open programs without clicking on the icons. Or the only way to open programs will be to right click on an icon, then select open. Yesterday I restored the computer to see if that would help. Seemed to help until I closed the laptop and it went to sleep. Then it started all over again. The only thing that would help was to do a hard shutdown. This is a major annoyance.
The specs of my laptop are: Acer 3003, Windows XP home, 1 gig ram.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is a Windows XP problem or a hardware isssue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is a Windows XP problem or a hardware isssue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think it's either one
by TONI H / November 10, 2006 4:23 AM PST
Collapse -
pointing device still crazy
by FpLiOnYkD / November 12, 2006 9:06 PM PST

Thanks Toni, I tried the scans and that was not it. Still doing it. Just can't figure out why. I've restored the laptop with the restore disks, scanned for viruses, bought a new mouse, updated the drivers. Any other ideas? Thanks!!

Collapse -
S-Y-N-A-P-T-I-C-S! Synaptics!
by SIRKGM14vg / November 12, 2006 10:56 PM PST

Looks like your touch pad or synaptics device has gone bad. It seems to be invoking button presses while using it. Has your computer been wet, or otherwise damaged in any other way?

A support call to Acer might be your best solution for now... (;_;)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!