Phones forum

General discussion

Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof my existing one?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 9, 2013 9:25 AM PDT
Question:

Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof my existing one?

Hi everyone. I am a commercial fisherman and in my line of work, I
get soaked all the time and I want a waterproof iPhone. I've seen
advertisements about a Samsung phone that is waterproof, but I
want a waterproof iPhone. Is a waterproof iPhone coming out soon?
I have seen somewhere that there are waterproofing technology that
can be applied to phones that will make phones completely
waterproofed. And if Apple doesn't come out with a waterproof
phone soon, I'd like to try the applied waterproof technology on
my existing iPhone. But what I need to know is has anyone tried it
and does it work and will it withstand the abuse of salt water?
Please shed some light on this subject and if you have used a
waterproofing service with success, please let me know who you
used. Thank you.

-- Submitted by: Doug C.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof my existing one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof my existing one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: s a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof

Doug,
There is no waterproof iPhone coming to market that I am aware of anytime soon. But Don't get worried, you have an option. The only known functional (it does not inhibit use of the phone) waterproof case that I have ever seen is made by a company called Lifeproof. I use their case for my 4s and I will never use another brand case as long as I live. Watch some of the videos. on youtube about this case.

http://www.lifeproof.com/

Collapse -
lifeproof case for iPhone

Greetings Doug!
I have the lifeproof case and I have yet to accidentally semarge it but according to the manufacturer it is good for up to 3 to 4 feet of water. That doesn't sound like much, but the average pool is about that depth. It also comes with some cool mounting gear for tour Jeep or Bike or clip for your belt. They are available for the iPhone 4S or 5 and they are not cheep but I think it works great. Construction is a lot like a custom built tupperware container and comes with a waterproof cord for your waterproof earbuds (if you can ever find any) and two caps if you don't use the cord. Oh did I add the Window so you can see your apple logo in the back? Happy

Collapse -
RE: s a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof
by rrr67 / August 17, 2013 11:19 AM PDT

I am no longer a fan of the Lifeproof case for the 4/4s. I'm on case number 2 for the same phone. It is no longer waterproof, but without proof of purchase (I've moved since getting the second case and can't find my receipt) I can't get the case replaced. The rubber coating on the edge is just coming apart. Not very lifeproof.

Collapse -
check out Cnet's review of waterproof cases
Collapse -
iPhones are not waterproofed

However,

Think eBay whenever you need something weird. What you need is a waterproof, shockproof case. I could have given you a better answer if you had specified your model. If you ask questions like this in the future try to give all relevant information.

Go to:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.Xwaterproof+case+for+Iphone&_nkw=waterproof+case+for+Iphone&_sacat=0&_from=R40

That is an eBay site. If you are not an eBay member then you have to register to shop there, that's trivial - but pick a good password. Better still have a password generator pick one for you. eBay does accept punctuation as well as alphanumerics. Ten characters should be quite sufficient. If you're already a member this is a five minute drill. It's a shame I didn't see this earlier. They just sold one for I4 - I5.

GerryR

Collapse -
Ziplock

Use a Ziplock or other waterproof bag. Double bag it as well. You can hear the phone and probably read what is on it, but pack it securely and keep it away from the working environment. You are more than likely going to drop it if you don't have it stowed away.

Collapse -
Zp lock
by walldoo99 / August 19, 2013 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Ziplock

I was thinking the same thing. My friend has lost a few phone in the lake near him and I told him put it in a zip lock and blow air in the bag. it will float. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.
The salesman told me my phone would make calls from 3 feet underwater. I asked him, what would I sound like? blub blub blub,glub blub glub

Collapse -
Good News!

There are quite a few waterproof cases for your iPhone. You didn't mention which model but there are solutions out for all (4, 4S, 5). As someone suggested, look into Lifeproof. The have the Fre for iPhone 5 and cases for other iPhones. I have one that looks like a baggy but you have to be a bit careful if your goal is to take photos. Looking at reviews is great. Most of these only handle water depths of about 6.5 feet for 60 minutes. That should be good for any recreational or boating use. If you think you want to deal with something more, searc the web for the word "scuba" in conjunction with iphone cases. There one that I saw for around $109 that can go down to depths of about 150 feet. What you need to know is what you are going to do with the phone in these conditions. If it is making and receiving calls, you want to look for call clarity. Not so that while you are scuba diving you can make calls, but while the phone is out of the water. If you are going to take photos, optical clarity is a must. Some cases give you a lens piece for this. So visit Amazon or your favority shopping sites and so a web search for iphone + scuba. This may help a lot.

Collapse -
No such thing as waterproof phones....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Good News!

There is only water resistant for a specified time period and depth. No case or cover will make it waterproof, only extend it's water resistance.

Collapse -
Chemical vapor deposition
by capoderra / August 9, 2013 9:16 PM PDT

The technology you refer to is called CVD. There is a company talking to Apple about working together to make iPhone water RESISTENT. (Thank you Hforman for pointing this out)

Search for the following on google:
future-iphones-waterproof-water-blocking-technology

Note that it makes devices RESISTENT against any liquid, even salt water.

Collapse -
Waer proofing an iPhone
by rphunter42 / August 16, 2013 11:54 AM PDT

First, there are cases that do this, more or less. None of them will make your iPhone completely waterproof at any significant depth. The question is do you want to have it drip proof, splash proof, drop it in the toilet proof, or drop it to the bottom of the lake proof. For the first three, take a look at some of the iPhone torture test videos online. For the last, you will need a shallow lake, and a quick dive to hope to save it in any case I know of.

Collapse -
Waterproof and unsinkable?
by jackbutler5555 / August 17, 2013 5:30 AM PDT

If I were on a boat in the water -- worried about my cell phone getting wet, yet too cheap to do much about it, I'd put it in a resealable plastic bag puffed out with as much air as possible. It's one thing to know your cell phone will be water resistant as it sinks into the water. It's quite another to hold out the hope that it will float on the surface -- at least for a while.

Collapse -
WaterProof IPhone....

Hello Doug,
I strongly suggest spraying your IPhone with 3M waterproofing composition. But make sure the label reads:" used by NASA".... It's the only 1 that will protect the phone under extreme open sea conditions.
For better protection, spray on top of the 3M, the latest 6M anti- shark solution, it will prompt any big fish to vomit your IPhone thus, your IPhone will indeed be, totally protected. B.T.W. why do U need your IPhone during fishing? If U get an emergency call from land, will U drop everything & hurry home? Good luck friend.

Collapse -
See this waterproofing tech
Collapse -
My dry bag USED to work...

I kayak and go to beaches a lot, and used to love my Aquapac dry bag to keep my phone it. I could tap keys through it and also hear calls. However, my new Samsung is answered by a swiping motion, and I find it is impossible to do this through the dry bag. A pity. (If anyone has advice, I would appreciate it.) Anyway, my dry bag does a great job waterproofing my electronics but sadly I cannot swipe through it.

Collapse -
Companies that waterproof the iphone
Collapse -
dead link
by Pefect Sence / August 17, 2013 6:05 PM PDT

dead link

Collapse -
Weatherproof your IPhone

I'm no expert on weatherproofing IPhones, but I ran across this ad that looks like it would fit the bill.

http://atlas.incipio.com/

Looks pretty rugged to me. Of course, it would be nice to have it come waterproofed from the factory. That would be considered a Military Specification, which usually carries a very high price tag with it.

Good LucK

Collapse -
Cheap waterproofing

Besides the "Lifeproof" case (make sure you read instructions, otherwise it might not be completely water proof), you 2 ziplock bags Grin (2 for added protection)

yes, not a cool as LP, but cost you a lot less. Happy

There is another case that looks like a ziplock bag, but thicker material and a closer fit.

Collapse -
Great advice on phone cases!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 16, 2013 3:28 AM PDT

Has anyone ever tried one of these services? Where a case isn't required?

http://www.liquipel.com/
http://www.hzoinside.com/

It was mentioned by a couple of members and I saw this during the CES show and I'm curious about these services.

If anyone has tried it, I would love to hear about your experience with it. And does it work???

Thanks in advance!
-Lee

Collapse -
Here's a cheap, low-tech answer that works

Spoiler Alert: You're going to laugh and ask 'really?'

I've done this approach a number of times, and I'm really not as foolish as this approach may sound.

I purchased a Dry Pak waterproof bag [slightly larger than my iPhone 4S] for under $20 [for examples, see http://www.sportsstuff.com/c/dry-pak_new-stuff ]. First, I just used it for those 'just in case' situations to keep my phone from getting wet. Once [after a few beers/margaritas on a Mexican beach], I decided to take a chance and do some snorkeling with my phone in my Dry Pak so I could get some pics of the angel fish swarming around me. Nervously, I dunked it; then longer underwater, then after a while, I quit paying attention. Now I've done this scores of times without ever getting a hint of moisture on my phone [hint: open/close it out of the water/with dry hands]. I've even taken pictures underwater using my iPhone - not great pics, but nice. I do the same thing when going to football or soccer games in the rain.

Caveat: the Dry Pak is not for anything approaching deep or even the beginnings of rec diving, but it will work for snorkeling and such. I've even dropped mine into the river while fishing, only to grab a mask, jump in the water, and 'fish' it out without any negative consequences.

Second Caveat: notice how inexpensive this approach is?

Collapse -
Do not trust to who tells you Samsung can be water proof

I guess here are different classes of devices regarding survive in water. But even waterproof Samsung camera leaked for me on second use, so do not trust Samsung. Since you are not a diver, just a fisher, you may think just use a good plastic bag for regular iPhone.

Collapse -
Waterproofing your Iphone

All you have to do is purchase a waterproof, dustproof, case......I think it is called a lifeproof case, you can purchase this for your iPhone....It also protects them from dropping damage.....Buy it on Ebay, that is the cheapest place I have found.....The stores are 129.99 and Ebay is 12.00.....for the exact same case.....good luck and keep your iphone....

Lana

Collapse -
Waterproof Phones

I can see my son getting all excited about a waterproof cell phone.
That way he can take it in the shower, and then he will never feel separated from his beloved phone.
He will finally be complete this way.

Collapse -
water proof phones

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">check out Rust-Oleum NeverWet, I just saw an ad on another site and it looks promising. garden20034

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!