PC Hardware forum

Question

Is a flash drive available for a 386machine using MS98se?

I have a printer connected to this PC plus a monitor and keyboard and can see a couple of unused ports I'm assuming are USB ports. (Also, this machne is not connecred to the internet.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is a flash drive available for a 386machine using MS98se?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is a flash drive available for a 386machine using MS98se?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The older flash drives had Windows 98 drivers, but...

In reply to: Is a flash drive available for a 386machine using MS98se?

...since Windows 98SE has been unsupported for so long, I doubt if you could find any new ones with drivers on them. You might look on Amazon or ebay, but I'd look for drives very low capacities relative to the ones that're out there today. I believe XP was the first version of Windows that would automatically search for and find drivers for these.

Collapse -
Answer
In a word, yes.

But you may have to find what would be considered small drives. Try 32MB drives to start with.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I just checked mine. I have an 06 vintage Memorex

that has a Windows 98 driver on it. It's a 1 GB one, and I'd suspect that's about as big as you'll find. You could check with the likes of Sandisk, Memorex, Kingston, Verbatim, PNY, Corsair, Lexar, and the like to see what they might have. Some of these probably have Windows 98 drivers on their support page.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
98se - Flash Drive - Relying to All Responders

In reply to: I just checked mine. I have an 06 vintage Memorex

Super responses - Thank you. I don't need any huge capacity - 32MB would be fine, Bob. But, as I noted, this PC is not connected to the Internet - if I need downloadable drivers, aren't I out of luck?

Collapse -
Download the driver on a current PC, then

In reply to: 98se - Flash Drive - Relying to All Responders

put it on the flash drive and on a CD. Put the CD in the Windows 98 PC, then plug in the flash drive.

Collapse -
Answer
Checkout...

You're going to be stuck using smaller flash drives that were released during that time. The OS itself won't allow beyond 512mb at the most if I remember correctly. On top of that most win9x setups needed drivers. the good news if you check and in most cases the vendor(maker) support website and check under legacy or older listed flash drives what *was* available and try to find them. If you get lucky and can use larger flash drives, it still may not be capable to not exceed 1gb and that's saying alot for win9x systems. You may want to check out a ext. USB(AC powered) hub or USB multi-memory reader and use SD flash card adapter. These readily swap out SD type memory and maybe more friendly, though that's not a given and cost remains similar overall. I hope the below link provides more info:

http://forum.technical-assistance.co.uk/how-to-get-windows98-se-to-work-with-flash-drives-gt-1gb-vt1214.html

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Flash Drives

In reply to: Checkout...

Thanks Willy, but I really have no need for eve 512mb, but I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Collapse -
Parting advise

In reply to: Flash Drives

The OS win98se provided the ability to use USB ports on a system. But, you're wanting to match that to a 386 based PC which wasn't part of any offering when that came out. At best it may have been for 486 based PCs, but even then that was a rare duck. It came to P4 based PCs to more readily use USB. On top of all win9X based PCs still needed the flash drive that they provided in order to use the flash drive from that maker. All in all, it becomes quite difficult process to make a 386 based PC to even get use out of 386, not that it couldn't but it JUST WASN'T available back then. You may have a PC case that has USB ports but these may not be connected to anything and if they are, they're USB 1.0 or 1.1 rated. When it comes to 386 on its own, that's really drags things around and hoping for the best. The last advise I can give is hoping the install of a USB pci type card may allow such usage which in turn depending on it's make-up may have int. connections to PC case ports. I supply this advise as re-reading your original post, you gave little clue to where the USB ports are, maybe case or other area or card. of course, details would have helped here but "as is" I find this a very difficult task to complete.

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.